Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  06:51:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a ranch and have always wanted to add some fiber animals. I'm looking for advise. Should I go with angora rabbits or a sheep bred? What troubles have you experienced owners had? What joys have you encountered? Is it worth it?

Hugs and prayers,
Daizy
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Daizy! I don't have any fiber animals but would love to have some sheep maybe. I visited an alpaca farm and they are really cute! Just like llama but about half the size (they eat alot less). Their fiber is supposed to be good to spin as well. I've always wanted to try to spin my dog's fur...there is so much of it. People do it. Can you imagine a scarf made out of dog fur? LOL!!

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  2:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Daizy,
First I recommend you research what breed of sheep do well in your climate ... there must be a local extension office that can help direct you. Also, AL. is very hot, and sheep get very stressed in the heat and humidity. It is a full time job keeping them calm and cool and hydrated in the hot summers ...You may find that the only sheep that will do well in your area is not a fiber sheep. So therefore you may want to consider a small fiber animal such as rabbit ... they really do have beautiful soft fiber and are easy keepers.

But your first question should be why do you want them at all ... Do you spin? Do you want to learn? or do you want to sell the fiber? or do you want lawnmowers ... there is a lot to think about with any livestock, and you always have to weigh the cost to keep and the return.

Good luck ...

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive

Edited by - kysheeplady on Nov 18 2013 2:56:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile
rabbits are happy with a 2 liter frozen water bottle in their pen, they will cuddle up to it, or stradle it, a small fan will also help...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
I raise sheep. Dual purpose breeds. We use the fiber.
I would read what you can find on raising sheep and rabbits. I read everything I could find on livestock when we moved out to our farm and decided on sheep!
They fit well here.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :)
Good Luck!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  10:25:01 PM  Show Profile
I had fiber goats for awhile. Loved them. we had Pygoras which are a cross between an Angora and a Pygmy goat. A good size to handle and very docile. A brother and sister Stanley and snowflake. Stanley was curlier and Snowflake more a cashmere type.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  09:24:06 AM  Show Profile
I have a fiber bunny, but her fiber is very fine and not ideal for spinning. I also have Icelandic sheep- I love their fleeces! They aren't as velcro-y as the Shetlands. The yaks aren't ideal for Alabama, they need the cold to grow their down coat, but they are awesome- blow the fiber like a dog in the spring and just require combing out!

It really depends on what all you want the animal to do. I'm all about dual-purpose. If you can find an animal you LIKE and that gives you fiber, that's great. If they can also be milked or used for work, all the better! It can sometimes take a little trial/error to figure out the animal(s) right for you. Good luck on your journey!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  04:42:00 AM  Show Profile
I have two sheep to take care of my fiber needs. I bought them from someone local which makes it very easy to look at them and pick them up. I don't breed. I do keep them separate from my cows. I have put a jersey heifer in with them, and they actually chased her around. I guess showing that they are tough and don't mess with them. Once they established who was in charge they were just fine together. I do put them in the barn every night, so I don't have to worry about predators They know the routine and I just let them out of their pasture and they run to their pen. hope you can find some fiber animals that will work for you!

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  07:59:04 AM  Show Profile
I raise angora rabbits for spinning. Just love the soft fibers and is great to blend in with other fibers. They are allot of fun to have. They are very love able..and they brighten up anybody's day. I bring them to nursing homes for them to hold.
Most of all they are very easy to care for and clean etc. It is one of the most precious fibers as well. Soft, 7 times warmer then sheep wool, and makes wonderful gifts.
here is a picture of some of my rabbits this is snow white, my first angora rabbit. She is such a sweetie.

This is my big boy "Windsor" He is the biggest baby of them all.

the knitted bag on my spinning wheel is made with angora/sheep wool, again you would love angora rabbits!
Hugs Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  08:53:53 AM  Show Profile
I had French Angora rabbits when my kids were small.

Here are some things to consider before taking the leap.
1. Do you want to become a rabbit breeder, or just have for a pet and occasional fiber?
2. Do you plan to register any offspring? If so you will need to learn to tattoo their ears with ink (and listen to an occasional rabbit scream)
2. Are you willing to cull the offspring that do not have good coats or meet breed standards? What will you do with the culls? Is there a butcher nearby, or will you do it yourself?
3. Are you willing to groom them every few days? Otherwise their coats will "blow off" or become matted.
4. What space provision do you have? Each rabbit older than 6 weeks old needs an individual cage. The RBA recommends metal cages instead of wood floors because urine soaks into wood and causes health issues.
5. Learning to spin with Angora is not easy because it is slick and has no crimp. Sheep's wool or a blend of wool and Angora is much easier for a beginning spinner.
6. Do you want to show the animals? If so, most shows are on Sunday mornings, how will that effect your family life?

The NARBC (National Angora Rabbit Breeder's club) has a lot of great info. Check their web site.

http://www.nationalangorarabbitbreeders.com/

I considered my time as a rabbit breeder one of my life lesson learning opportunities. But overall, I am glad I did it.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Feb 01 2014 08:55:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  5:37:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input that my question brought. I have decided to stick with meat sheep and add 50 turkeys and another 100 chicks. The chickens are for the eggs and the turkeys will be smoked and sold and I hope to find I have a market for the sheep also. I have ramped up the cattle business. It will become a more sustainable ranch. One day I hope to have some agri-tourism also. All the animals will be all natural and grazing on pastures near my home. The cows will be the only animals allowed to venture into the distant pastures. I have coyotes and don't want to lose any of my animals to them. In the past, they almost cleaned my chickens out. I will keep you posted. I am working on my blog...poorhouseparadise. And hope to create. a website as well.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Fiber animals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page