Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Dinner is gonna be hot, hot, hot tonight!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dinner is gonna be hot, hot, hot tonight! Next Topic  

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I went out to the garden this weekend to get it ready to be put to bed for the winter and found tons of Jalapeno peppers. I counted 45 of the little guys just hanging from the plants waiting to be picked. We've already had a few frosts and the plants were finished but the Jalapenos were beautiful. It was a better pepper harvest than we had all sumer. What a treat. I think we'll have poppers tonight with dinner. What is still growing in your garden? We also have some parsley and kale still going strong.

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com

Edited by - Chatty Wren on Nov 12 2013 1:51:01 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  4:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh! Poppers! That sounds great, Diane! Will you share your recipe when you have time?

Right now, I've still got kale, cabbage and broccoli from the summer, and my fall plantings of spinach, turnips, lettuces, kohlrabi, beets and carrots are coming in... But tonight we're having a freeze and the snow is on its way (YAY!). I forgot to cover them earlier... Glad you're post reminded me. Busy, busy day.... 'Better get out there and take care of that soon!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  4:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I don't know anyone who makes those from scratch! That sounds like it would be a completely different -- and WAY better -- treat than what I am used to from the frozen food aisle and restaurants. Good for you.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Nini, you sure have a productive garden. Do you leave your carrots and beets in the ground all winter just heavily mulched? I would like to try that. Yep, the poppers turned out pretty good. It's a little bit of work but I made a big batch and froze some. Marianne, I don't know if the frozen ones will be any better than the supermarket variety but at least they are organic. Here's the recipe:

24 fresh jalapeno pepers
1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1 pkg. (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese
8 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs beaten (I usually need more than this)
40 Ritz crackers finely crushed (about 1 2/3 cups) (I use cornflake crumbs)
2 cups of oil (I don't use nearly this much, maybe 1 cup in a deep saucepan)

Cut peppers lengthwise, scrape out seeds and membranes (use rubber gloves or your hands will burn and don't touch your eyes!)
Combine next three ingredients and spoon into peppers. Roll peppers in flour, dip in egg, and roll in crumbs. Place in fridge for 15 minutes. Heat oil to 375 degrees, (I go up to 350 only) and cook peppers for until golden. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!!

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com

Edited by - Chatty Wren on Nov 12 2013 1:51:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  2:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Pretty much, Diane.. We usually throw a couple of bales of straw on the garden over the winter, and whatever survives is a wonderful treat come springtime! The carrots grow so well over the winter, which is great because they don't do very well in the summer, no matter what I try. It's fun pulling them up when the weather warms up - I try to plant all different varieties, so for me, it's like a Easter Carrot hunt! LOL!

Thanks SO much for the recipe! Sounds WONDERFUL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dinner is gonna be hot, hot, hot tonight! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page