True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Can I freeze it? For how long?

I got some raw milk from a friend. I am going to skim the cream off the top and make butter but not sure I can use a gallon of milk up very quickly. We don't drink cow's milk, I am using it to make kefir with so we can make yummy smoothies with it. DH just cannot fathom drinking a glass of milk. LOL We eat butter and yogurt and cheese and ice cream all made from cow's milk but he says he cannot think of drinking something that came straight out of a stinky cow's nipple and that he is not a baby cow. I find this really funny for some reason because he is usually not picky about anything at all!! I call him a goat for that very reason. I guess all my food passions and obsessions have taken their toll on him.

Anyway, back to the original reason for the post: any good sites to help me learn more about raw cow's milk.

Thanks!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Mona would be offended to be called a "stinky" cow!! Haha. My husband was always that way about goat's milk when I had my goats..drove me nuts!!
Yes, you can freeze cow's milk, but it does separate some when thawed. STill quite useable..especially for cooking..but not as pretty for sure. I will be freezing some before Mona has her "dry time" for a couple months before calving in May. If nothing else, for cooking with..I am going to hate to buy store milk again..my kids are big milk drinkers.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I freeze milk all the time and have been lucky to never had any seperation problems. I always let it thaw in the fridge though- probably me being overly cautious but if I do thaw it on the counter I go and shake it every hour to make sure the outside is not getting warm.

Side story- the first time I froze milk was by accident. I was having a "me alone" weekend at my family's cabin and had turned up the tiny fridge in our kitchenette to much. In the morning my milk had little floating ice crystals in it. It was wonderful! I still prefer my milk iced. I'll even put ice cubes in it during the summer. All my friends think I am nuts! lol
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, Iced milk sounds yummy even though I don't drink cow's milk either.

Ya know, I am full of silly questions today because I KNOW that human milk can be frozen so why not cows? I guess I didn't think that one through but since I haven't used cow's milk in a loooong time, I just wanted to hear some sage advice.

I know that Mona would be offended but thankfully she doesn't read my posts ;). I don't even know why he thinks cows are stinky cause the ones in the field at my granny's house don't really stink, they just smell like animals to me. DH was not brought up on or near any type of farm!! He is learning though!!

Thanks for both thoughtful replies.

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:21:12 AM  Show Profile
I get mine frozen from the Dairy .... just let it thaw and shake if it's raw before using. Won't be pretty but it's still good.

A gallon at our house only lasts a week at best so I usually buy up to 13 from the dairy at a time and pop them into the freezer.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh...we go through a gallon and 1/2 a day!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cow's Milk? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page