Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How to make clothes smaller. Any tips?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How to make clothes smaller. Any tips? Next Topic  

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  10:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Does anybody have any tips for making clothes a smaller size? I've lost weight and now some of my clothes don't fit anymore. But I don't want to get rid of them and have to buy new, that seems so wasteful (you know, use it up, wear it out and all that). Plus I really like some of them and they're still fairly new. Has anyone done this? I was think of laying them out (inside out) with some clothes that fit me on top (also inside out) and using it like a pattern. Does this sound like it would work? I just want to make sure before I actually do it and then mess it all up and have to buy new stuff anyway.

Farmgirl Sister #4195

https://www.facebook.com/flowerfairy136

May your bobbins always be full!

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile
The problem with losing weight is one does not lose in all parts of the body at the same rate. Some areas may have stayed the same size, some may have reduced a little and some a lot.

Threads magazine has several really good articles on alterations and fit. I believe that these can be accessed online. Clothing is similar to a building for a body and changing one measurement can change two or three other things. Study the structure of the favorite clothing carefully. Or, better yet, find a person who can show and teach you how to do it.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  9:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I found a website once that showed a way to take in jeans. It was easy-peasy: just stitch up the INSIDE seams and crotch all in one go, kind of like a long U shape. I mean to try it sometime but first, I need to lose the weight!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How to make clothes smaller. Any tips? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page