Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Need advice pretty quickly (long -- sorry)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Need advice pretty quickly (long -- sorry) Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  9:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I need your help, ladies. I applied for and was accepted into the "Jump Start Your Small Business" program offered by the local university. It's a 2-night-a-week for 6 weeks course and at the end each participant (there are 10 of us at each of 3 sites) will have a complete feasability study and business plan for our home business. The course is free (it's grant-funded), and at the end, anyone who wants to can apply for a grant of up to $5000 to start a new business!! Not everyone will get $$, but an independent committee will make the determination. I'm really excited about this but have a problem.

I thought we'd spend a class or 2 determining what kind of business would be best for us or something like that, but we don't do that. The problem is that I have to have my business idea before class Tuesday!! I have several ideas but don't really know which one (we can only choose one, but the skills we learn at the workshop are ones we could use to do a business plan for another or a second business and take to the bank, if $$$ is needed for start-up).

Anyway, I would prefer a business that:
1. does not involve running a store
2. would give me flexibility as far as the hours worked
3. does not involve "cold-calling" and that sort of thing

I love:
writing, antiques, textiles/fabric things (aprons, table clothes, etc) that are vintage, animals, crafts, etc.

We've thought about:
raising goats, an antique booth at one of the local shops, making one or 2 items (starting with one or 2 for sake of inventory, etc.) such as painted dessert plates to sell online &/or in local gift shops, or ?????

I need to make as much $$ as possible to make up for the loss of my salary. What would you do, ladies???

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  9:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
why not run an antique booth and do the same on the internet an vertual antique store ( full of linen and things that are textile orianted that way you don't have to worry about things breaking in shipping. Alot of times when you go to a bank to do a start up company checking account they do a credit check and you might be able to get a business line of credit. I am not saying to use it mind you but it could help the company buy the little things at the begining that it needs. If you get the 5000.00 then you wouldn't need it but it would be available for future stuff if needed like internet or booth fees until you get a rolling clientel.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 28 2006 9:27:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  08:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm.... do antique stores make much money? I don't know enough about them.

Is there a service you can offer that still incorporates your love of antiques but is something that is needed in your community? I think that this should be your first focus - what is needed in your area, as the best idea in the world won't earn you a penny if there is no need for it. Then look at what's needed to see how you can tweak it to fit your interests.

That said, here are some ideas:

1) Estate sale planner - you set up the estate sale for the family and actually run the sale for them. This is especially helpful when the family doesn't want to have to deal with the sale, or if they live in another location. You earn a commission based on what you have sold and at what price, usually a percentage of the sale, before expenses are taken out.

This can be also offered as a garage sale planner on a less formal level.

2) Ebay/Online Auction lister - you do the computer work involved in setting up items for sale online - take the pictures of the items and then fill in the information in ebay or whatever service the client wants to use. Usually these types of services have a form or something similar that has to be filled out for each item. It's time consuming so most folks would love to let someone else do it for them. Usually you earn either a percentage of the sale or a set price per listing.

3) What sort of background do you have in this field? If you do a lot of antiquing, could you offer your services as a "buyer"? Meaning, if someone is looking for a specific item, can you locate it for them? This might require time spent online, at auctions, calling shops for them, etc...

4) Make crafts that look like vintage items, or that use vintage items in the making. Have a booth to sell these and like suggested above, also sell them online... I imagine that selling vintage linens and textiles could be a good business if you can incorporate them, or reproductions, into a craft that sells.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Patti,
If I remember right your were in education. Could you start a tutoring service. (Excuse the spelling today bad emotinal day) Or possiably a shopping service (groceries, holiday), Holiday decorating or take down service. Or this one is big here by me Dinners by Design. Where you can go and make entree's and then bring home. Check them out on the web. I would expect that the start up cost might be high but one lady here decide to make home cooked meals for others. Kind of a spin off of Dinners by Design. Kids or Adult party planner. Or maybe teach crafting skills. Just some ideas. Hope that helps some.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Patti - Have you thought about doing more than one thing? At least to start with? I have two booths in an antique mall(one with a friend, one just by myself). They are very unpredictable - In July, my check was nearly $600.00, but for the past three months, I barely cleared $50.00. And my booth rent is very cheap - $50.00 a month(each). It's just my 'mad money', so I don't expect or count on it. But sunshine's idea of adding on ebay along with a booth sounds good - and you really don't have to 'baby sit' either of those things. The start up cost for my booth were minimal - I picked up some old cabinetry from a junk pickup and nailed them together and painted them. Also, just stacking crates on top of each other.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  04:30:25 AM  Show Profile
I like the ideas floating here. Really comes down to the market you have in your area, if you do a local business. Here, a 'Dinners by Design' would do very well, as there are many families with two careers and little time. Also, home organizing and/or decorating businesses are good. I've heard of a decorating business where the consultant comes in and redecorates by moving around items already owned by the homeowner -- taking furniture from one spot or room and into another -- and then adding some seasonal colors, etc. Interesting idea -- how someone else can solve the decorating dilemma by coming in with a fresh eye.

Antique booths can be very hit or miss with profits. Combining with an on-line site can help, as Sunshine points out. Lots of competition in that field.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  04:41:02 AM  Show Profile
My only advise is do something you love and it'll be worth all the trouble and investment! Good luck Patti and keep us updated, I know you needed this today so let us know what you choose!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
aw happymama58 that's sort of what I want to do. I really really want my own biz but have no clue at starting at for what. I love too many things. Keep us posted!!! :)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Need advice pretty quickly (long -- sorry) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page