Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Who uses tattler canning lids? Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  06:17:03 AM  Show Profile
I am fascinated with what I read about Tattler canning lids. Anyone tried them? If so, what is the cheapest price you have found?

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  09:49:57 AM  Show Profile
I used a few of them this year. I'm hoping to build up my supply each year because it is quite the upfront investment. Since it was my first year using them, I wanted to just do a small amount because it's new to me and if I did something wrong, I didn't want to end up losing too much!

I bought mine at the local farm store for around $9.00 for a box of regular size lids. If you are on facebook and like their page, you'll see posts every so often of some pretty good sales to buy in bulk.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile
I too have used them. I only have 12 or so currently and they worked out great. I will buy more a little at a time to build up my stock.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  04:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Girls - I am so on the fence about this. To me, it only makes sense to buy reusable lids. But whenever I go to buy them, I find all these articles that discuss the formaldehyde element in the plastic, which could conceivably leech into the food. The other problem I've read about is having air remain in the headspace which could cause food spoilage. This article is actually the one that keeps me from moving forward with my purchase: http://www.commonsensehome.com/comparison-of-jarden-and-tattler-lids/ What are your thoughts about this? I have really started getting into canning this year and just hate the waste with the one-time use lids. Plus, I've noticed lately that the one-time use lids are rusting while awaiting processing in the hot water pan for a relatively short time - that can't be good. I've thrown away quite a few, which is very frustrating to me. I just don't know what to do. Do you think the tattler lids are really safe? I love the concept and really want to try them, but I don't want my family to get sick, and I really don't want to lose good food to air in the jars.

May I ask one other semi-related question? I've noticed that lately the rings are turning a weird grayish black color in the canner - what is up with that? Are they safe? Do you know if it's okay to reuse them or do I need to replace them?

Thanks so much, girls - I really appreciate your thoughts!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 08 2013 04:20:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I do not know the answer to the Tattler issue. I may have the answer to the greyish color. When you water bath canning method add some vinegar to the water in the canner. This disolves the mineral build up of the water.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Okeedokee, I'll do that, Kem! Thank you! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  01:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I have several hundred, and ran out of the regular mouth lids. I need to order more. The Tattler site has them on sale right now for the month of October. 20%-30% off, depending on what you order. :) The next lowest price I've seen was for 40% off a giant box of half regular and half wide mouth at Markdown.com, but I haven't seen anything near as good in the last two years.

I've had Tattlers for... 3+ years now, and a few on use #5 already. I love 'em for the multi-use factor, and that it'll be hard to run out of canning lids as long as I have extra rubber rings hanging out, and the no-BPA thing is nice as well (yay for canning tomatoes and vinegar!). I *have* heard that they don't work well above either 6000ft above sea level, or 10,000 feet above sea level, I can't remember. I've used them for both pressure canning and water bath canning, too.

ETA: Once I get my "tattler fingers" going during canning season, I have fewer/almost no failures with my Tattlers vs. with the disposable lids. As in, I had 7 failures with disposable lids this year, and one with a Tattler lid. And I used many more Tattler lids than disposable lids this year, at least until I ran out and had to resort to my stored up stash of disposable lids. And my canning total is somewhere up about 300 jars in the last two months, give or take (15 boxes of peaches adds up!). The days of 70-90 jars are a bit intense.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Edited by - Lanna on Oct 09 2013 01:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  03:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Lanna, what is a good price for a box of 12, pint and quarts?
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  3:22:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cozynana

Lanna, what is a good price for a box of 12, pint and quarts?

Years ago, I paid $6-$7/box, on sale at some kitchen store. Now, it seems they run closer to $10/dozen. If you buy bulk from Tattler's site, before shipping and tax, the lids can be closer to $.70-$.80/each or so. I think. It's been a few days since I did the math.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  02:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for info Lana
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2315 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2315 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I love my Tattler lids, I buy them when they are 30% off the Tattler site in the fall, usually a half case each. I only had 2 that did not seal this year and I am pretty sure that was my fault. I just like not having to buy lids all the time knowing I will just be throwing them away eventually. I think I have enough tattlers now for all my canning, but if I know I will be giving something as a gift I always use the metal lids and rings, than I don't have to worry about getting a lid back.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Who uses tattler canning lids? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page