True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Ok, maybe not quite THAT bad...

Our toilet in our basement doesn't see a lot of action. As such, it grows this really uber-nasty black mildewy crud under the rim. Even if I clean it once a week (which is more use than it usually gets), that creepy ick still grows.

I have tried vinegar, CLR, all kinds of "regular" toilet bowl cleaners, and still it finds its way in somehow.

Does anyone have any secrets or tricks that could help?

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like it's too humid down there. What about trying a small fan to circulate the air. Might help.

Good luck.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  1:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Not to be alarmist but just to raise the possibility: my parents had a similar problem and it turned out to be an issue with their well water. If you have a well, you might want to have the water checked. The busier upstairs toilets did not have the under-the-rim problem, but the downstairs one did.

Good luck-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  3:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I'll try the fan idea.
Cindy, we're on city water, but do have a septic tank. Maybe we need to get that checked.
Ended up buying KaBoom Toilet something-something today. Just couldn't take it one more minute. Used the whole bottle - that toilet hasn't been that clean for YEARS!
Thanks ladies!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

GypsyChar
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Chardale
Titusville FL
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  3:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send GypsyChar a Yahoo! Message
I have this too but it's in our main bath in the house. We are in Florida so of course it's humid but we have two countertop dehumidifiers that we got at Ace Hardware when we were in the RV in there. They run full time and I don't have mildew anywhere but in that toilet. We also have a septic tank so I can't use the chlorine flush tablets. We are on city water too. I'm watching this thread closely. Oh and we've tried ACV too but I'm wondering if sprinkling baking soda in there instead might be the answer....hmmm

Peace be with you and all that jazz.....
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Nastiest Toilet in the Universe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page