Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile
OK I am going through the empty nest syndrome. So I have been thinking what would cheer me up and I was thinking a new farm animal. So what would you girls suggest? Something that is low maintenance and fun to have around. I have right now 3 dogs, one cat and 5 cows. So anything besides those animals.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  1:32:19 PM  Show Profile
how about some baby doll sheep

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  1:32:34 PM  Show Profile
llama or alpaca Minidonkey

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  2:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Mini goats are fun but you will maybe need two. Goats are like little puppy dogs. They will follow you anywhere and everywhere. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dorinda,
I don't really have any suggestions but I'm sure you'll find some sweet creature to love and care for!!! We've had all kinds of four-legged friends and currently have a sweet dog, a brand new kitty and a hobby herd of 10 Longhorn cows.

Happy hunting!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  10:34:58 PM  Show Profile
You Need Something in the House...since your problem is empty nest...How about a pair
of Love Birds, or Parrot or Parakeet.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  05:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Teri, I was thinking on a few sheep. I have been thinking about the Katahdin sheep. You do not have to shear them. Do you think if I fence off about one acre that would be enough room for about 2 or 3 sheep. Peggy I thought about a bird but my cat is very aggressive and I am afraid it would end up in a disaster with the cat. I have a fish aquarium and I am always chasing her off the top of it. She wants those fish!!!!LOL She is an inside cat only. She has never been outside because my big dog would eat her. What do you think about a few chickens? Are chickens hard to maintain? So many choices so many animals.... Thanks for your help Ladies...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  05:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Dorinda,
I myself like to keep less sheep than my land can hold. A few reason for that are, my sheep are grass feed, so if we don't get enough rain I don't have to feed hay in the summer. Also, if you over crowd a pasture you run the risk of having unhealthy sheep. Again my opinion only, and I have been raising sheep for 8+ years now. Hair sheep are pretty easy keepers, but you do have to watch out for foot rot, which they are kind of known for, but they are more worm resistant than a wool sheep. But just remember some of the hair sheep do have to be sheared, although if you make them pets that should not be a problem. So if it were me, I would keep 2 sheep on 1 acre of ground, sectioned into halves, that way you can rotate them. Good luck with whatever you get!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dorinda :)
I was going to suggest a couple of pigs :) We have pigs and they are so much fun, cleaner than you think too. They act just like dogs sometimes. I really never knew how much fun they would be.

If I were to raise sheep (haven't yet) I would seriously look into Barbados Black Belly Sheep. They are beautiful!

http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/barbados-blackbelly

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Teri, That is a good plan. I have 13 acres here. But I have my cows on some of it.But I wanted to start out small with the sheep so 2 would be great. I can spare more than 2 acres if I had too. But the fencing is so expensive.So that's why I thought I could start out small and expand in the future. With the economy like it is I am watching every dime. So you girls have been a lot of help. So I think I will go with the 2 sheep on one acre. Also I think I will get 2 chickens and a chicken coop. Did you know they sale chicken coops through Walmart? Interesting! I just saw that on line a little bit ago. Anyways Thanks again.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A new animal? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page