Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Warm, thick, wind-proof fabric?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Warm, thick, wind-proof fabric? Next Topic  

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm Trying to get a head start before the cold weather comes in and I'm caught off guard. My house is pretty cold in the winter and I need to make my parrot a new cage cover to keep him warm. It needs to keep it dark in his cage, and keep out drafts as well as insulate the warmth that's already in his cage, and preferably cheap since I'll need quite a bit of it. I thought about fleece but its pretty breathable and air goes through it fairly easily, and flannel isn't very thick. Any suggestions? Or do you think flannel or fleece would be ok? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Farmgirl Sister #4195

https://www.facebook.com/flowerfairy136

May your bobbins always be full!

Edited by - Flowerfairy136 on Sep 15 2013 4:12:57 PM

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile
I would use quilted stuff made for lining wool costs. Of course, you could also make an interesting patchwork "fabric" yourself by felting thrift shop wool sweaters. Felted wool is wonderfully warm. Be careful not to cut off your bird's sir supply!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  7:56:16 PM  Show Profile
I would get a nice piece of cotton, line it with flannel and make the cover from that. One may also obtain some flannel backed satin. This stuff is kind of expensive. I don't know how big the cage is and I am thinking that one yard of 60 inch wide fabric could be enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Warm, thick, wind-proof fabric? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page