Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Here's a great idea for storing patterns...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Here's a great idea for storing patterns... Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Instead of squeezing pattern pieces back into their envelopes, store them in individual larger-sized zip-lock bags. The plastic will let you see the pattern illustrations and will keep those delicate pattern pieces safe. If you add a swatch of each sewing project to your bag for a quick record of the pattern's history, you'll have a ready-made "scrap-book," too! Can you tell that I'm going through the house organizing it?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I never make a pattern exactly they way it was designed, so when I am sewing I write a few notes about how I made it (sizes, alterations, problems encountered) on a recipie card and staple a swatch of the fabric to the card before putting it away with the pattern. That way I can recreate a fit I just love or easily alter it for a better out come.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Great idea for storing patterns, to bad I don't have any.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  05:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, you are right - that is the exact way I store my patterns! Ages ago, my aunt had a shop and when she sold, she ended up with hundreds of these zip lock bags. So I had to find a use for them - waste not, want not!!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  05:16:09 AM  Show Profile
DUH!! Why didn't I think of that? Of course! And I just had to stuff a pattern back in it's envelope the other day! Thanks, Libbie.:)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  06:40:58 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea...Thanks!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Well DUH -- why didn't I ever think of that. I have mine store in large manilla envelopes but am always having to open them to see what the pattern is! Thanks so much for sharing that idea!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
funny I already do this So I would have to agree that is a great idea.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  06:16:43 AM  Show Profile
I store mine in large yellow mailing envelopes. I staple the opened pattern cover/folder onto to cover side of the mailing envelope and stuff the inside with pattern pieces, traced pattern pieces, sometimes notes and fabric swatches. When I look through my two rubbermaid containers of patterns, it is like looking through a big scrapbook of happy memories.

This year I am trying to photograph recipients with their items from me, either wearing them, covering up with them (quilts) or just holding them up. I got a spiral notebook to keep track of info on the pattern, style, fabrics, date, recipients, variations.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  10:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Clare, that sounds like a really good idea. It would give a person enough room for all those extras. I think I might try that one and find a container, just the right size for the envelopes.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:41:07 AM  Show Profile
I have some raffia baskets from a discount store in the bath department, they were supposed to be for storing towels I think. I put the patterns in it, they are just the right size and slightly flared at the top to make it easy to flip through the patterns and quickly find what I am looking for.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  05:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Girls, you all are sew creative! Keep sending us those great ideas!

farmgirl hugs, love, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Here's a great idea for storing patterns... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page