Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding spirit Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! I have returned in time for autumn again. It seems to have become my habit, but I have such a hard time staying in when I could be outside on my own doing things. This summer I've spent a lot of time with very old friends on their new property learning to be more self reliant. I realized that I was spending way too much time online, overly involved in things that weren't even important to me or even my business. Petty things and time wasting, lots of time wasting. The year started out with one catastrophe after another and I just needed time out. I've spent a lot of mornings and evenings looking at the sky, the trees and the beauty of the world. I can't change every ill of the world, I can work as hard as I can to help but I can't fix it on my own. This is a VERY hard thing for me. I'm a fixit person.

So, this summer I've learned about septic systems, roofing, relearning carpentry, organic farming, some about permaculture, about crop rotation and water tables, animal care, plant diseases, building houses, plumbing, living with out electricity and cooking on a wood stove, taking apart sweaters and making candles...and much more. Tired and sun browned but with so much more knowledge.

I've come back more capable of holding my own with bad eyesight and a messed up knee. I feel a lot more confident that I'll be able to keep up with my own wee homestead...thought it WILL have internet service lol! The only time that I got to look online was when I was home for the evenings or the times that I stayed home during the day to work on things here. Occasionally everyone needs to unplug.

I've always found my spirit in nature and doing simple things. I find the divine through peace with myself. I seldom pray when things are bad or I need help. I put my shoulder to the wheel and push.

Have you ever considered the perfection of clover blossom? I did.

But now it's heading into autumn, I have a new roof, a larger chicken coop to build, trees and garlic to plant, and falling leaves to look forward to while I drink tea on my back porch. So here I am *bounce bounce!* jumping back in and ready to be in the middle of things again. It's almost punkin' time and I'm DY-ing for almond flour punkin bread. I don't have a recipe, but I'm going to invent one lol!

Smiles

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Annika! So glad to hear you had a great summer! I'm not ready for fall yet myself but I know its coming on quick!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back, Annika!!!! Glad you were enjoying the fruits of your labor and are back with us again.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Welcome "home," Annika! I've really missed you! I'm glad to hear you're still staying strong and plugging along - you're such an inspiration to me! You sure have been busy! Please be sure to share as much of your newly acquired wisdom as possible when you're settled back in here and as time permits! :) 'Just SO good to "see" you're back! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Annika, welcome back!! I have missed all of your comments and project reports. It is great to hear that you have been doing things that have meaning to you and that you have found important to new goals. I look forward to your sharing tidbits with all of us. And your idea of pun[kin floiur almond bread? If you figure it out, please post because my daughter is eating gluten free these days and would just love such a great recipe to try!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  4:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the waves and hellos! I'll share bits of my adventure as I process it through my mental machinery

Heya Winnie, I think I'll start with this one and work with it until I like it Honey gives me a sore throat so I'll use some agave nectar and a bit of organic brown sugar.

http://scdgirl.tumblr.com/post/33299656562/i-love-pumpkin-bread-heres-a-great-easy-recipe

SCD and Paleo Pumpkin Bread

2.5 cups almond flour or almond meal
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites)
1/2 cup cooked butternut squash or pumpkin
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup melted palm shortening or butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice or cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all ingredients. If using freshly cooked squash or pumpkin, you’ll want to use an electric mixer to incorporate it well. Canned has a smoother consistency and you can mix by hand if you like.

Put in a loaf pan (well greased or lined with parchment). Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the center.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  06:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annika! Welcome back! Wow, it sounds like you have been super busy. It also looks like you earned quite a few badges
Do you plant your garlic in raised beds?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 05 2013 06:17:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  2:18:42 PM  Show Profile
After reading your post all I could do was smile. Welcome back and glad you learned so much over the summer.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  6:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Missed seeing you around! So glad to hear you have a renewed spirit. Enjoy every moment of Fall and remember to share some of it with us!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  05:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back, Annika! I just recently came back as well! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you have been. Sounds like you had a lovely summer!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  03:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Annika...:)

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  05:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Annika!
You were certainly missed around here!
I am looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and
knowledge.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Annika and welcome back! I have wondered where you were. You know you were missed and everyone is happy to see you back. I'm not spending quite so much time on Pinterest as I did. You're right about wasting time. I'm much more productive if I limit my computer time. Instead of looking at pictures I actually make things :) Still a few minutes here and there does give me ideas. So nice to see you!
Huggz
Cheryl

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding spirit Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page