Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Which flea meds do you use on your cat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Which flea meds do you use on your cat? Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  9:53:40 PM  Show Profile
We tried Frontline the last two months and it didn't appear to work well at all. Any ideas? We are this close to bombing the house as I'm getting desperate....

Help!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  04:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Try using advantage. Sometimes frontline doesn't work for whatever reason. My mom's had the same problem with frontline one one of her dogs (don't ask me why) but other brands work.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  04:48:21 AM  Show Profile
You may have to bomb the house anyway. Best to get all sources.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  08:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I use nothing but Revolution now. I also had no success with Frontline. It can be pricey, but it does more than flea control and it works. Karla
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile
Any additional ideas on how to make sure the fleas are gone? I never had a problem before, but.. I bathed the cats in Dawn, boraxed the carpet, white vinegar washed every other spot, put off defoggers as another defense ( not to sure that was the best after reading the label scary stuff ) And I found a flea, after all that. I am at wits end.

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile
alot of those differant items do not destroy the eggs, and fleas don't need a male and female to lay fertil eggs, sooo you will need to make sure that after bombing/spraying etc, you vacum everything, everyday or so, till you see no more evidence of the fleas, good luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  5:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, I did not know what else to do. so...I will keep vacuuming, and vacuuming...
Do they die in the winter? ( i can only hope!)the poor cats (2 of them ) now think that a tub bath is ok the three legged one actually purrs in the tub!

Danyel
Farmgirl sister
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  7:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Our vet recommended the spray which is the same formula as the bomb but you can get under things like furniture, etc. whereas the bomb will only disperse the chemicals on top of everything. Not all fleas are killed immediately and a second treatment to both house and cats may be necessary in about a month to just be sure. Keep in mind that there's going to be some of the little buggers (fleas) here and there so you may still see a few in the house. Given that - the ones that remained will get on your cat(s) but will die shortly after they've bitten your cat and ingested the flea meds. Vacuum like crazy and be sure to get rid of the contents of your sweeper bag /canister and burn it. The spray can be purchased at most vet clinics over the counter w/o having to take the animal in.

I wish you well, Danyel, as they seem to absolutely love me but don't bother my hubby and daughter at all. Aargh!

Also vets offices carry flea combs. Some will just give them away. And be careful with what you're bathing your cats in. It may have the same chemical(s) that the fogger and/or flea meds have which might be too much for their system.

Keep us posted!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Edited by - missusprim on Sep 10 2013 7:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  7:21:31 PM  Show Profile

I have read that a vinegar and water mixture works to get them off of cats and somehow sprinkling salt on carpet works...has anyone else heard of this...I hate using chemicals...but not sure this would work at all...

Judy

"A Falling Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"...

Come little leaf, said the wind one day. Come to the meadow with me and play. Put on your dresses of red and gold; for the summer is past and the days grow cold.
George Cooper

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the reply I was wondering about changing the sweeper bags, not to sound cheap but I thought of taking the bag out and emptying it? If I did that each time maybe it would help? I have not found to many but a few. also I wondered about the flea collar, that is the place where I have found them (under it.) I thought they were to repel not attract! Still working on it. What about Front Line?
thank you all for the help.

Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile
I asked the vet about Frontline and she said it used to be a great product but they no longer patent the formula (?) and that she has had a lot of negative comments on its effectiveness.

I suppose you could just empty the Sweeper bag but you might risk there being some flea eggs that will later hatch.

I even washed all our lap blankets, quilts, bedding, etc - anything they lay on other than the floor. Vet recommended sweeping every day after spraying/fogging the house and this helps.

Aargh but I hate fleas!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Edited by - missusprim on Sep 14 2013 07:14:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Which flea meds do you use on your cat? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page