Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Please, Thank You and You are Welcome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please, Thank You and You are Welcome Next Topic
Page: of 2

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  08:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Karen - I had to laugh when you said 'counting back change'! They DON'T because they CAN'T!!! I bought a large garbage bag of vintage linens at a thrift store recently. The tag read $24.78. There was a half price sale that day, and when I heaved the bag onto the counter, the little girl at the register turned and looked at her co-worker and asked "What's half of twenty four??" :)

But I have a boss who ALWAYS thanks me, even for the most mundane of things. He remembers birthdays, secretary's day, and has always been not just a boss, but a friend.

And does anyone feel that, especially in a work situation, people are many times curter/ruder in an email than they would be in person? Is it that they don't have to face the person? This is especially true for my friend Susan, who teaches online - students are nasty and demanding.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Slightly off the subject but in the same vein.....

I just put a cauldron-type bucket of 5 bags of Halloween candy outside the front door with a nice sign to please take one only. I have a broken foot and am on crutches, so obviously can't run to the door.

The bucket was out 30 minutes, then some kid apparently dumped the entire thing into his bag because it was empty and no more than 5 kids came up the driveway.

Ok. I refill the bucket with another bag of candy, and 15 minutes later the door bell rings with an adorable child trick or treating...and I saw that apparently, not only has some other kid taken the candy, but the bucket I kept it in as well!!!!! I'm half tempted to turn of the lights and call it a night, but that would punish all the good kids out there.

All I know is, I would have NEVER done such a thing as a child... then again, we always had a parent accompany us trick-or-treating.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh, dear, Jennifer - that is so sad... we always had a parent accompanying us, too. Isn't it strange sometimes what people choose to do? All I can say is that there is a natural consequence for that kind of thing - a fierce tummy ache!!!

At our house, which is at the end of the road and has been "known" for being haunted because it's so old - one of the first houses in the town - we had NOT ONE trick-or-treater. We went to the little town Halloween party at the town hall where you can get a hot dog for 50 cents and the kids play "go-fish" and all sorts of other little kid games - when we came back - nobody had even touched the candy that I left out on the porch... I have to figure out how to make our house a little more enticing on Halloween. Trick-or-treaters are so much fun, especially when I have little ones here so they can see other kids' costumes and things. This year, none, and last year we had a whopping (drum roll.....) TWO!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Libbie. I admit I was hoping someone woke up with a bellyache this morning...

I was on the verge of tears when the doorbell rang again, thinking that all the candy had been pilfered a 3rd time....and it was a little boy (accompanied by his dad) who only wanted to say "thank you" for leaving the candy out. It make up for the other ones, by a long shot.

I moved to Texas at 12, where "ma'm" and "sir" and "please" and "thank you" were all but mandatory, it became second nature in no time. I was a flight attendant for 6 years & know that these simple phrases made all the difference when dealing with passengers. And, having been on cructhes for 2 months now, I see the best and worst in people - someone will cut in front of me in line at the store knowing I can't move as fast as them, then the next time a kind person will offer to let me in front of them. I always try to look for the good & forget the bad...as Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Candace,

I thought I was the only one who won't move when people are taking up the whole sidewalk!!! I know some people (my husband) think I'm cranky, but I just find it so annoying that parents don't seem to teach their children the simple manners that we were taught.

I do try to use my sister's theory, "You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar" or Frannie's rose colored glasses more often than not, though.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile
How rude to take all the candy. I won't leave a bucket out for that very reason. I was surprised this year - we have quite a few kids and all except one group of "Tweens" were accompanied by parents. All said Thank you, even the "Tweens" It was very cold and windy here so I was very amazed at the turn out - but things wrapped up by 7:30/8 pm because of the cold. Jennifer - sorry about your leg - I know that can be painful.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please, Thank You and You are Welcome Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page