CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  5:06:18 PM  Show Profile
For many years my husband has wanted to be in full time counseling ministry in a not so big church. We have prayed and waited, sometimes patiently, sometimes not.

Anyways, about 6 months ago, a friend of his who is a pastor asked him to step in and guest preach for him one weekend while he was gone. That went well, and as it turned out, the reason his friend was out was because he was moving away and looking for a house. Through a few more guest speaking engagements, the church offered my hubby an interim pastor's position for the summer. We were both excited at this unexpected turn of events, and we have been very happy there. At their business meeting this month, they voted on him, and now it looks like we're there permanently! After the dust settled, I sudden;y realized, "I'm a pastor's wife! My kids are pastor's kids now! Ack!" I wasn't really thinking of all that when this all happened. I was only thinking of him and happy to see some form of his ministry dreams come true.

I guess I'm writing to see if there are any other pastor's wives out there who have give good sound advice for a newbie pastor's wife. Pitfalls, pressures, platitudes? I'm open for anything uplifitng and helpful. Thanks!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

Farmgirl #5076
I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!

Edited by - CurlysQuilts on Aug 29 2013 5:07:28 PM

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  5:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Remember you're still human. Be yourself and let you're children be themselves. Remind your dh that he is still human too.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  6:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Be yourself always.... know matter what....
Please e-mail anytime if you need to talk etc...I am also a Pastor Wife...
Hugs Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  6:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the position for your hubby - how honoring to teach the Word of God! My hubby is working on his degree in Biblical Counseling for families and marriage. I never considered the possibility that he could actually be called to pastor opposed to counsel. If it were my hubby, I would remind him to be true to who you are and to God. Work to make Him pleased, and everything else will fall into place. That's my two cents :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  6:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your husbands calling. I am going to send you an e-mail. I am so glad to see him being faithful in his calling :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys! I knew my farmgirls would rally around and cheer me on!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
My Etsy shop:
My Farmmade shop:

Farmgirl #5076
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! I don't have advise to give, as I am not in your position. But one of my closest friend is, so I see the stresses and blessings of such service! Just don't be afraid to ask for prayer support and learn to say NO. You don't have to do everything, your husband and children still come 1st. Blessings!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations! I will be praying for you and your hubby! My hubby and I have not been in the "pastoral" position but we have been in church leadership & ministries! We KNOW how it can be!
God bless you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  7:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on your new adventure. I am sure everything will work out just fine.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  12:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Aww...that is awesome! I'm not a pastor's wife, but I am a pastor's kid and I've been a worship leader in the past. It is an amazing thing!

So I guess I can say, welcome to the fishbowl? It really is like living in a fishbowl.

Blessings to you and your family!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations!

Here are just a few tidbits. 1.the hardest part about being a pastors wife is that you will be scrutinized mercilessly. You might be judged for forming a closer relationship with one lady of the church, than others. 2. Be prepared to sit in on your hubby's counseling sessions with married couples and make sure you are in when there is a woman who seeks spiritual guidance. Trust me, it keeps wagging tongues from dying of thirst. 3. Don't feel like you have to join every church auxiliary. 4. be impartial when handling situations involving other female members of the church and 5. Remember that your belong to the Lord first, your hubby and children and then the church. while its HIS vocation you are the helpmeet. Oh and don't make your children live up to a standard that people think PK's should live up to. I've been around enough pastor's wives (I am a deaconess) to learn the pitfalls that are laid. Hope some of this is a little helpful.

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  12:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you. I value your advice and tidbits. It has helped me to 'get a grip' on my new situation. :)

Curly's Quilts
My website:
My Etsy shop:
My Farmmade shop:

Farmgirl #5076
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  3:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Sarah to your hubby and family, what a wonderful journey you have ahead of you. You will be the best Pastors Wife, no worries there:-)
Hugs,
Debbie

"There is nothing better than to end a bad day covered in dog slobber!"
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations to your hubby and family on this new path! I've no advice just good wishes :) Good luck!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  4:56:32 PM  Show Profile
Sarah...I married a Pastor/Counselor and like you I was never really seeking to be a Pastor's
Wife...it just happened. It can be a very hard row to hoe...you and your children will always
be criticized just learn to have God as your comforter and you will be able to endure it. It is hard and often unappreciated work...but again, you are doing it for the Lord. The hardest thing for me was listening to people criticize my Husband and my Children...me, I didn't really care about. You need thick skin and lots of Family Love and communication and a closer relationship with God. Don't get so busy doing Work in The Church that you don't have
time for an intimate relationship with God....or it will be your downfall. I pray God will
strengthen your entire Family. Please feel free to contact me if you find you need a confidant...to share your hopes, dreams and frustrations. God's richest blessings to you
and your entire family.

blessings and hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 20 2013 4:16:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamingreen
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Vicki
Fowlerville, Michigan
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Over a year ago my husband was asked to temporarily fill the pulpit for a very small country church. One thing led to another and he is now the Pastor. We own 2 companies, our children are grown and we had no plans for the ministry so it came as quite a shock to find myself the wife of a Pastor and living in the parsonage! I completely understand your feelings and need the same advice and encouragement. God has a wonderful sense of humor!

Yet, I will be joyful in God my Savior
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ack! I'm a pastor's wife! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page