Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Nellie's laundry soap and dryer balls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Nellie's laundry soap and dryer balls Next Topic  

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everybody,
Has anyone used Nellie's All Natural Laundry soda to wash their clothes and their dryer balls? Lots of 5 star reviews for all the Nellie's products offered on Amazon. Would love to try them.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1496 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1496 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  9:27:33 PM  Show Profile
I used Nellie's dryer balls for several years and had good luck with them in terms of softening the laundry. But they only seemed to last for about a year or two at the most before they started to fall apart. I tried another brand the last time I replaced mine and that pair is now going on four years with no signs of deterioration.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Soda contains Na2SiO3 MSDS (sodium metasilicate) as a key ingredient (Google that and see what you think), along with soda ash (a chemical used in pre-treating cloth before you dye it) and a few other things. None of these sound any better or more natural to me than just making your own with Washing Soda, Borax, Baking Soda and a small amount of grated Fels Naptha. It also seems pretty expensive. Why not use felted wool dryer balls? They're totally earth-friendly and last indefinitely; usually, you buy them from farmgals who raise sheep and can use the money, or you can make them yourself from any feltable wool, including old sweaters from Goodwill! If you like the idea of adding fragrance (as the Nellie's balls are designed to do), just sprinkle a few drops of your favorite essential oil on one or two of your wool dryer balls occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  2:54:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I don't know these chemicals so I appreciate the knowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Soda contains Na2SiO3 MSDS (sodium metasilicate) as a key ingredient (Google that and see what you think), along with soda ash (a chemical used in pre-treating cloth before you dye it) and a few other things. None of these sound any better or more natural to me than just making your own with Washing Soda, Borax, Baking Soda and a small amount of grated Fels Naptha. It also seems pretty expensive. Why not use felted wool dryer balls? They're totally earth-friendly and last indefinitely; usually, you buy them from farmgals who raise sheep and can use the money, or you can make them yourself from any feltable wool, including old sweaters from Goodwill! If you like the idea of adding fragrance (as the Nellie's balls are designed to do), just sprinkle a few drops of your favorite essential oil on one or two of your wool dryer balls occasionally.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  3:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Just another post to say I didn't mean to sound scary. Lots of totally safe and wonderful things sound toxic in Latin! (Remember that funny spoof chain letter that went around a few years ago warning about the dangers of "Dihydrogen monoxide"? (That's H2O, also known as water!) :)
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Nellie's laundry soap and dryer balls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page