Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 TONS of unripe tomatoes on the vines, what to do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic TONS of unripe tomatoes on the vines, what to do? Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  05:33:58 AM  Show Profile
So, I have a fairly heavy crop of tomatoes...only everything is green and seems to be going nowhere. I WANT my ripe tomatoes! I've pruned again hoping this would help, but still nothing. If I try picking them now and force ripening them, I don't think they will be as good, so I am keeping that as a last resort. There are only so many recipes we like with green tomatoes, so I was hoping someone might have some advice on how I can successfully help things along.

Any ideas? I'm really desperate!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile
some varitys will ripen when put in a brown paperbag with an apple, other wise I make fried green tomatos, pickled tomatos, and green tomato relish...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Any reason why you can't just wait for them to ripen?
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Good point...I'm just worried it might never happen if we get another unseasonable cooldown...just wondered if there was any little way I could help them along...we got a cool snap in August and everything just stopped progressing. We're warming up again now, so my fingers are crossed, but nothing so far!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  9:44:14 PM  Show Profile
The Paper Bag and Apple is good idea. I ripen mine about 10-20 (depending on size)
On My Kitchen Window Sill. And I love Fried Green Tomatoes too. Some people actually like
to eat tomatoes green. A neighbor of mine keeps stealing a few of my green ones (he confessed)
and just likes them that way. I have never eaten them green except fried.

Love and blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  04:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Pinching off the tops, like you did is supposed to help. It takes time sometimes!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  05:20:22 AM  Show Profile
You all have good thoughts - I have my fingers crossed. We are experiencing some steamy weather again (good for ripening!), but next week is another cooldown. Have my hopes up for this week!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  3:12:11 PM  Show Profile
When you are ready to call it quits for the season... you can work a spade into the soil all the way around the base of the plant to disturb, but not completely severe the roots. Then you strip as many leaves as possible. The remaining green tomatoes will ripen more quickly but, of course, you will lose your plant. When you know the freeze is about a week or less away, you can try this.

Good luck,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  3:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marianne. I didn't know about that method before - if I do still have green ones closer to the first freeze, I'm going to follow your directions! Still no ripe ones today. And we've been in the mid 80s for a few days, so I was hoping.

We just got this weird cooldown at the beginning of August, just when I thought they might be heading into a ripening phase (we got down into the 50s at night for weeks!) And then nothing happened - all green. I should just be happy none have rotted - they are all just hanging in there...green!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

proseharley
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

ROSE
dover ohio
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Never tried this but going too. My neighbor put ripe tomatoes on a cookie sheet let them freeze and bag them until she needs them for meal. they peel real easy under running water.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  3:43:52 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of that, Rose, but if I ever get any of mine to ripen up this year, I will have to try it! Sounds interesting.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic TONS of unripe tomatoes on the vines, what to do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page