LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  06:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Because we are planning on planting fruit trees this fall (as I mentioned in my other posts) I've been reading up on the subject.

I just came across a section in one of the books on fruit trees I checked out from the library that mentions columnar/colonnade apple trees. From what I read they are apples trees you can actually grow in big pots/barrels and they grow straight up.

Has anyone grown these? If so, how was your experience. I was kind of intrigued with them since I could possibly grow them on our patio...

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  07:29:48 AM  Show Profile
I know several people who grow them, and love them, they were started by Stark Brothers...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  05:29:11 AM  Show Profile
That's interesting - I didn't know that about Stark Bros. I'm really intrigues - think I may try two out next year.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

delsgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Suzie
Enumclaw Wa
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  9:18:55 PM  Show Profile
We planted 3 columnar apple trees probably 8 or 9 yrs. ago. The first few years the apples were fairly small. We rented our home and were gone for 6 yrs., I moved back last summer and was so busy unpacking, cleaning, painting etc. that I didn't pay much attention to them, they had been neglected for the years we were gone. This summer the apples are huge and beautiful and very bountiful~~so pleased!! I would not hesitate to try them!!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic columnar/colonnade apple trees? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page