Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Now I'm getting SCARED bout planting fruit trees!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Now I'm getting SCARED bout planting fruit trees! Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  06:23:24 AM  Show Profile
In my earlier post, I wrote about how jazzed I was because we were making plans to start planting fruit trees to replace other ornamental trees that were felled this summer by a storm.

I was so excited and loved talking orchard fruits with all you farmgirls and as a family we bought a plum, fig tree, and started making plans to select a second plum...then yesterday I picked up a bunch of books I requested at the library about raising fruits trees...last night I began reading the sections on keeping pests away from your trees and fruit and now I am just scared.

One book said you have to basically bag your trees completely with a net all summer long or birds will eat everything...another said rabbits will girdle your trees by nibbling the bark at ground level and will even chew through tree guards...another said raccoons will climb trees and eat all your fruit, as will squirrels and then gave no suggestions on how to stop this!

Then this morning I was about to go outside to harvest some tomatoes, looked out and saw two chipmunks and a squirrel INSIDE the completely "animal-proof" fencing of my patio container garden eating my tomatoes!!!

Now I'm just plain terrified - if I can't keep creatures out of conatiners on my patio that are completely fenced, how will I keep all of them off my fruit trees?!

I just don't want to go to all the care and trouble of planting more edibles for the animals and birds to chow down on.

Any thoughts?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Aug 23 2013 06:24:42 AM

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  06:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne
Wow you really do nave nature out your back door. Do not have much advice on anything but deer as I have posted. But for my tomato crop I just put cut up panty hose pieces over the fruit or pick them when pink to ripen in the house. I like the pantyhose better. I do use use standard bird netting over my whole beds for my dewberries and blueberries, only during their fruiting periods. I have never had a problem with figs, apples or any lemons/limes.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  06:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kelly!
Strangely enough, someone just told me over the weekend about the trick with the pantyhose - I'd never heard it before. I do think it would work, but I'm trying to figure out how feasible it is. Between the patio container garden and my raised bed, I currently have about 70 tomato plants (my family REALLY likes tomatoes!) And about 5 each of 2 breeds of peppers and eggplants. I'm just not sure I'd be able to pantyhose up all the fruit on those! Course, maybe I'm just being defeatist!

Someone else told me to tie long strips of tinfoil to the garden fence and tomato/pepper cages and stakes, so after I saw the squirrels and chipmunks this morning, I scared them off and tin-foiled the garden. Not sure if that will help.

Do you think I have to net my entire fruit trees during fruiting season?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile
As far as eggplants and peppers are concerned I have never had a bird problem, but not sure about your other critters. I personally would not net the whole tree. The netting to me is a little on the uneasy side to work with. As the tree grows it begins to grow through the netting and so when you remove you could cause damage in my opinion. But my experience with netting has never been trees, more bushes. Pany hose are less expensive if you have a Walgreens somewhat close they tend to have various colors and sizes at clearance prices pretty frequently. I just buy several at a time and every one pair can do several fruits. I have never tried the tin foil though it may work, some say the whirlybird items work too but I have never tried. I wish you luck in all your adventures, never a dull moment for sure.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  08:58:20 AM  Show Profile
make up some hot pepper spray for your veggys, get dried HOT peppers, soak over night in hot water, strain and put liquid in spray bottles, spray your complete plants, and soil around them...
bird netting is a waste of money and energy, removing it just causes damage to the trees...you can make anti climbing cones for your trees, to help prevent the varmints from getting up...old belts laying around the veggys and trees will mimic snakes, but you must move them constantly...you aslo can hotwire your garden fences...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile
We have apples and have very little problems with pests other than tent caterpillars. With young apples keep the grass away from the trunk to the point of pulling grass out by the roots. Yes our apple may apples may get a few worms but we get a good crop.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  6:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, I have a North Star cherry tree that I always recommend to anyone interested in planting fruit trees. One trick Ive learned is to put a couple of toy rubber snakes in the trees to keep birds at bay. I just leave them in the trees all year long and replace them as needed. Works pretty well for us!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  03:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Different areas of the country will have different problems. I don't have any problems with apple trees, knock on wood. My cherry tree produces, just got to bet the robins to them. I used to cover it up, and hung cd's in the tree branches. That worked. So there are plenty of ways to protect your trees, and fruit. They all require a little care.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  7:03:23 PM  Show Profile
We have an orchard and in an interview my husband did, he said you plant enough for everyone (including the critters). Don't let the books scare you. It depends on what else is available for them to eat. Keeping the deer from rubbing on young trees and breaking them is our greatest trouble, starting about now for a few months. Apple trees really can produce enough for everyone. Just remember it will take a few years and make sure you have at least two varieties for pollination.

Good luck,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  7:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, everyone, for the encouragement and pep talks. Like with all things, eventually I just have to do my best and then "let go and let God." I think part of my anxiety with this new endeavor comes from what a rough garden year I had - after lots and lots of work - and I'm afraid to put everything into this and get my heart broken again. But if nothing is risked, nothing is gained, right?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Now I'm getting SCARED bout planting fruit trees! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page