soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  05:19:48 AM  Show Profile
This summer I bought myself a new graniteware-type stockpot to use for jelly making. Anyone who does multiple batches of jelly knows how much easier it is to make them 2 or 3 at a time, rather than 1 at a time. This pot also has really high sides, so no more boiling over!

So this past week I did about 30 half-pints of crabapple jelly (19 1/2 plain crab, and 10 1/2 cinnamon crab). I cleaned very carefully, but somehow after all was said and done, I have product scorched to the bottom of the pan. Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Boiling water to try to loosen it
2. Boiling soapy water
3. Boiling soapy vinegar water

After each, I used a scrubbie and a plastic scraper and no dice. I do not want to use SOS pads or other steel wool for fear of ruining the finish on the pot.

Any suggestions?

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  07:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Put very hot water in pot , 2 inches above scorch line, add a 1/2 cup of oxyclean powder, let site over night, repeat if nessacary...This has worked for me everytime, usually the first time

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  4:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Tina,

I wish I had known that after I scorched one with Plums :( Thanks for the tip.

I hope it works for you Ann!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile
I sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda on stuff that is burnt to the pan, and I've had some bad ones. I wet the pan first then sprinkle the baking soda and let it sit. Sometimes takes a couple trys but does come off and I only use my dishcloth to wipe and scrub.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Excellent suggestions ladies! And in the nick of time, too. We've got peaches to do this week, and I plan on using that pan to do the blanching, and then the peach pit jelly making.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Scorched! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page