Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Life Lessons From The Beach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Life Lessons From The Beach Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile
When I was a young girl, my family was very blessed to have lived relatively near the beach. Goosewing Beach in Little Compton, RI was a favorite summer haunt when I was very small. Later in life, friends and I would stroll along the banks of Cape Cod's Bass River in the summertime seeking maverick scallop shells that had made their way in from the sea. There were also many hot days when we would hop on our bikes and ride down the road to Smuggler's Beach in South Yarmouth, hoping to get a nice bronze tan and meet boys. One summer as a teen, friends and I spent an entire weekend all by ourselves at one of the girl's parents' beach house in the Brewster flats. I can still remember the long walks out onto the beach for what seemed like an eternity at low tide. As a matter of fact, one of my best friends came to my wedding years later and gifted me a framed poster of the beach so I would always remember that special time we shared as girls. To this day, it still hangs in my entry way by the front door, and it makes my heart leap at each and every glance. Maurine Davis Daly – if you're out there, I still think of you almost every day! Later in college, I lived on the small island of Jamestown in RI, and was blessed to sail along its coastline and revel in its beaches, as well as those in Newport, Narragansett, and Bonnet Shores. And yes, they are as beautiful as you can imagine. As I got older, my husband and I would visit family in Marblehead, MA and enjoy boat rides out beyond the Neck. As a matter of fact, our son's first experience with the sand and the waves was at Marblehead's Devereux Beach. The sand and the ocean have always been part of me. When we moved to Pennsylvania, I thought I would perish without my ocean and my sand. But you know, on a windy day, if you close your eyes and listen to the leaves rustling in the trees, it's almost as if you're there. Humph. The things a girl will do to feel at home. What can I say? It's in my blood: the wind in my hair, sand between my toes and salt water air spraying at my brow. It's sheer Heaven.

I remember one sweltering hot summer day back in high school when one of my best girlfriends and I accompanied my family to seek out respite at Goosewing. Soon after settling into “our spot,” we headed out to body surf. In those days we didn't have boogie boards, at least that I knew of… we used our bodies. What a glorious feeling it was to ride the waves from sea to shore with nothing between our skin and the water but our bathing suits. We felt so free. But for those of you who aren't aware, there is something in the water called an undertow in which a swimmer must exercise extreme caution. It's a strong underwater current that occurs when the waves hit the shore and the water returns seaward. It has the potential to drag you under, drag you out or plow you down. On this particular day, I was plowed down by its intense force; I was slammed under water into the sand, head first. It was so surreal. As I struggled to free my head from the mud, I could hear the screams and laughter of everyone around me. I held my breath knowing that any attempt at making noise was futile. As I swished and swayed and pulled and tugged and struggled, all I could think about was dying with my Dad standing right there next to me. I wish I could say that my first thought was to cry out from my heart to God for help, and perhaps I did. Now that I'm older, that's always my first response to any emergency. Even though I can't remember for sure, today I know that it was Him who freed me and set me back on my feet, praise His Holy Name! But what I do remember is hearing my Dad's voice as I came up gasping for air, choking on wet sand and unable to open my eyes because of the salty water. All he said was, "For Pete's sake! What are you doing?! Be careful! You almost knocked your stepsister and me over!" <Sigh.> Little did he know that just moments before as he swished the sweet little five-year-old above me in the water, I was struggling for my life at his feet.

I learned a few important lessons at the beach that day. For one, the world DOES revolve around you. And it keeps going… and going… and going… even when all you want is for it to stop until you can catch up and can get back on track. For two, people can't help you if they don't know there's a problem, and you can't take for granted that they know just because it's unfolding before their eyes. And three, you shouldn't get upset with people when they seem aloof to your problems or don’t understand why you're behaving so out of the ordinary, because sometimes they're so caught up in their own riptide that they don't realize how much trouble you're actually in. Fourth, if they do understand but don't give you the time and effort you'd expect, it might just be that their situation is causing them to struggle to keep their own heads above water. It actually might be you who's clueless.

Over the years, I've often thought of that day. The beach, with all its summer fun, offers so many important life lessons. Of course, the big one I learned is how easy it is to be out having the time of your life but totally miss the undercurrent. Grandpa used to say, "Everything in moderation." The same holds true for swimming as it does for life. Having a great time is really important, but if you focus on only one aspect of living, before you know it the undertow can come sneaking up and really do you in. We always should be very careful not to lose sight of the big picture. The more I have pondered that important life lesson, the more I recognized other important lessons I learned from the beach.

For example, the first thing we do when we arrive at the beach is slather on the suntan lotion. Usually you start with the youngest, then the elderly, then everyone in between. The youngest and the oldest are much more fragile than the others, so, of course, they must be protected first. Everyone in between are not impervious to the sun's damaging rays, but we are stronger, and it's our job to ensure their care.

Even though the lotion is essential to our protection, sometimes we just need to curl up and hide from the sun under the canopy of a beach umbrella. It, too, protects us from the sun, but it also shields us from the other elements like the wind and the sand. And, of course, you want your umbrella to look a bit different, to stand out above all others, because it becomes a much appreciated guide for those who may have wandered a little too far down the beach. How easy it is to become lost while you saunter along the shore. There are just so many beautiful sights to take in: the endless skyline, the roaring blue green waves, the glistening sand, the cool waters swirling in around your toes as you search for coveted seashells and sea glass... With the ebb of the tide, you suddenly feel your firm footing wavering as the water sweeps away the grains of sand right under your feet. Suddenly you look around and don’t recognize the children laughing and playing on the shore. The terrain looks the same, there are beach towels everywhere, beach balls are flying, and shovels with pails full of wet sand abound, but everything is very different. Even though it resembles the place from which you started, panic sets in as you realize you've lost your way. Your family's unique umbrella, however, serves as a beacon guiding you back to where you belong. Everyone, everyone needs the umbrella of family to shelter them and help them find their way.

One major rule of beachgoers is to never, ever swim alone. Sure, you're strong. You seem capable to handle the waves; but remember the undertow. The tide is deceptively powerful, and it can take you far out to sea long before you even realize what’s happening. It’s called a rip current for a reason. A friend will help keep you in check and be there by your side to help in times of trouble. A friend will be your voice when you cannot speak; she will call for help when you are unable to. It's so important to keep your dear friend close. You're not an island, after all. And even if you and your swim buddy become overwhelmed by the forces of the sea and the problem becomes too big for the both of you, thankfully there are lifeguards watching over you like angels from above. When all else fails you can always count on them to be there to protect you and save the day.

Whatever you do, if you DO happen to find yourself caught in a rip current and being pulled out too far from shore, always remember: DO NOT fight to swim against the current. Doing so will only cause you to struggle against a force far bigger and stronger than you are, and soon you’ll find yourself overwhelmed, exhausted and unable to tread water. When you’re in that awful, frightening place and the shore seems to increasingly elude you, do not panic! Stay calm. Keep focused on the shoreline. Lay your body sideways and gently glide your motions to swim parallel with the beach. Eventually you will find yourself free from the pull of the sea and you will be close enough to shore to swim to safety. Sometimes the best thing is not to try to change things, but rather simply go with the flow. With a little time and patience, eventually you'll wind up right where you wanted to be. Despite the obstacles, things always seem to manage to turn out the way they should.

It goes without saying, too, that one of the greatest thing about the beach is playing in the sand! Burying your Dad up to his neck and watching the tide roll in to greet him always brings a big family giggle. Combing the beach for seashells is a real adventure, too. You’d be amazed at the variety of unique colors, sizes and shapes there are! The greatest reward is lifting one up to your ear to hear the echoes of the sea. As you listen, you imagine a tiny little world encapsulated in that beautiful shell, fashioned by God above especially for you. It’s magical. Then there is the sport of chasing crabs. I don’t remember very much about that because I was so afraid of getting pinched that I kind of avoided it; but I can tell you they are fast little critters who really do run sideways with their hammer sized claws swaying in the wind above them. And if you've never furiously dug down into the dirt in pursuit of a slippery clam, you've never lived! First you see a little bubble on the surface – a sure indicator of a bivalve below. You sneak up as lightly as you can to the spot so you don’t cause him alarm, and then dig as fast as you can to try to catch him. The razor sharp edges of their shells help them move lightning fast through the wet sand, so it's difficult to catch them. You usually wind up with cuts all over your fingertips and a bucket that's only half-full, but oooohhhhh man… even the lightest meal of boiled clams dipped in melted butter is greater than any feast set before a king! A fitting reward for a hard day's work, indeed! Nothing surpasses a hearty meal you've caught and prepared yourself!

Then, of course, what's a trip to the beach without making a sandcastle?! It’s so much fun molding and shaping wet sand into turrets and moats; making stained glass windows out of pretty sea glass in shades of white, green and blue; then decorating it with beautiful shells accentuated with soft smooth driftwood. So often you find yourself caught up in your creation that you tend to gingerly shoo away eager helping hands. How many times have I been told, "I've got it! I've got it! Go make your own!" If you're not careful, you most certainly will lose sight of the tide, however. Call it karma, call it what you will, but almost as soon as those words cross your lips the waves stealthily roll in and smash your creation, reducing it to a huge, wet heap of goo. First, there's a sharp gasp, followed by a low moan which escalates to loud wails. The tears pour. But you know what? Those eager helpers whom you’ve just cast away moments ago feel your pain. Their hearts melt for you and they quickly come to your aid. A hug and a few words of comfort and consolation later, your buckets are suddenly filled, they've gathered up your shells and building begins all over again. You see, you're always going to be at the mercy of the volatile tide. When it hits, you may feel alone and discouraged, and that things are damaged beyond repair; and yet, nothing is farther from the truth. Thankfully your true friends really love you and are quick to forgive... and we always get by with a little help from our friends.

And no matter how hard you try, let me tell you, you just can't play in the sand without getting dirty. Sand manages to creep in and get everywhere. It sticks to every inch of sweat and lotion on your body. You'll find it in your towel. You'll get it in between your toes, in your hair, in your ears… Somehow it even manages to find its way into unexposed nooks and crannies you never even knew you had. Ít's so annoying. It irritates; it itches; it's like an unwanted gift that keeps on giving. There's no way to put it out of your mind, and it seems there is little hope of ever ridding yourself of it. I assure you, there's no need to worry. The sand washes off. At the beach, God in His Infinite Wisdom has provided us with a cleansing rush of water to relieve our bodies and purify our souls. Eventually it will become nothing more than an unpleasant memory that will fade away with the sunset. What an amazing gift from Him is this metaphor for life!

Oh! And let's not forget the food! LOL - I can almost hear the screeching seagulls swooping down for stray fries as I type! Aaahhh… the memories of drippy-melting bomb pops, sucking down the soda-coated ice cubes from the bottoms of waxy paper cups, salty-hot fries slathered in cheese sauce, and greasy heat-dried hot dogs covered in sun-cooked mustard and ketchup. Is there any other way to go, really? Three cheers for the beach vendors without whom the seaside would not be complete! Although, I must admit, that the enticing junk food from their counter has very little substance. That celebration only lasts a short while. The really good stuff comes when you retreat to the family umbrella for a bowl of homemade fruit salad fresh out of Mom’s famous homemade watermelon bowl; or her make–your-own hoagie smorgasbord – the finest spread of meats and salads and cheeses and toppings you can imagine - which she has so carefully thought out, prepared and packed away in the cooler. There's always something for everyone. Mom – she's so cool; she always wraps plenty of brownies and gooey Rice Krispy treats in individual portions, too, so all you have to do is just grab, unwrap and off you go. No matter how you slice it, a quick bite from the beach vendor is great; but hands down, there's nothing like dear old Mom's… because in her kitchen, it's made with love.

Alas, just like all good things, a memorable day at the beach does eventually come to an end. Suddenly the sun starts to low in the sky and everything begins to cool. The giggles and running turn into wide yawns and stretching; the cacophonic blare of the boom boxes subsides. Wet towels are tossed into the big, waterproof beach bag in exchange for cozy blankets to warm ourselves in by a calming driftwood fire. Beach treasures are admired. Roasted marshmallows are squashed into the middle of chocolate and graham sandwiches. Tales of the day's beach adventures are exchanged. Oos and ahs echo at the sight of baggies full of beach glass. The smell of the salty air swirls with the remnants of coconut oil and smoke emanating from the fire. Suddenly everything is quiet, and still. All that is heard is the rush of the waves and the crackling of fire, while all eyes focus keenly on the flames. Everything is so clean and peaceful and natural. The sand has sloughed and softened your feet and elbows, and the salt water has graciously washed you fresh and clean. Your skin is all aglow from the kiss of the sun; your hair is almost electric with beauty from the sea; your eyes radiate the captured sunlight within. You have been transfigured into a new creature and yet you are ever the same being. You are vibrant and alive and serene. All is well. All is well with your soul.

I feel so blessed to have grown up so close to the New England shores. But its life lessons are not unique; there is certainly much to be learned in every aspect of and encounter with nature. Hopefully it won’t take a whole bunch of harrowing head plunges for the world to discover its wisdom. I still count myself pretty darned fortunate it happened to me, though. Most kids learn some of the biggest life lessons at the playground. Sometimes it takes people their whole lives before they learn. Me? I learned them at the perfect time, in the perfect place, and what I've experienced I will carry with me forever. In some ways, one might conclude that, for me, life IS a beach! :)

Happy summer memory making, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 12 2013 4:26:40 PM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Nini, WOW, I felt like I was there with you, you are a wonderful writer/story teller...I must admit, the beach has never been a place I enjoyed going, too crowded, too hot and yes that damn sand,lol, but, I do love northern California beaches, they are rocky, so no swimming/sunbathing there, but the sounds and the smells in the wintertime are glorious, and no crowds...I have a friend who grew-up in San Diego, when she and her hubby/kids moved to Utah, she thought she would dry-up and blow away, soooo my late hubby and I drove down to her old home town and got a big bucket of her sand a a big bottle of her ocean, and yes shipped it to her, so when she is home sick in the summer, she puts her sand in a tub, warms it in the sun, and stands in it barefooted, opens her bottle of ocean, closes her eyes and remembers...she still says it was the best gift she ever got,lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile
LOL! That's so funny, Tina! I remember one time friends were headed south to Florida, so my Mom asked them to bring her back some white sand from the beach for her to sink her big toe into. My parents had enjoyed a wonderful vacation there, and even though we lived on the Cape at the time, she still longed for the white beaches and romance of their getaway. I SO feel for your friend. Leaving the ocean is tough. But it has its benefits, too. I've never had such a beautiful garden as those I've been blessed with here in PA. And here we're only a short drive from the mountains, the country, the lake and the woods. I could go on and on. It took me a long time to get to this place in my heart, though. The very first thing I did in my dining room was stencil the saying, "Bloom where you are planted," on the wall. Eventually I blossomed. It's all good. I bet, though, that bucket of sand gives your friend great consolation - that was so, so thoughtful of you and your hubby! Trust me, it truly was probably the best gift she ever received! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  03:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
What a joy to read!! I, too, felt as tho I was right there.
Having grown up near So Cal beaches and then later taking my own kids to Ventura often........I relate to each of your stories.

My heart will always have a soft spot for the ocean and all that she brings!

The lakes/rivers here in Ks are pretty. But nothing compares to the majesty and power of the ocean!!!
The sights, sounds and smells of the ocean are just irreplaceable!!

Thank you so much for sharing with us!!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  07:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Linda! I guess now that summer's winding down and school is soon to beginning, I'm becoming a little heartsick for home. :) We have beautiful rivers and lakes here - which we had up north, too - but they just don't hold that same majesty, as you say. That's such a great way of putting it! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,
Another beautiful post from my sweet friend Nini! I read this twice. It's just so true, and you had me giggling in parts, and smiling, and nodding in agreement.

Love that you mention many of my current "stomping grounds". I just took a beach trip for the day with Audrey last week to a beach in Westport. We experienced so much of what you described (except the undertow, though I kept having to remind Audrey of it several times).

You have such a sweet soul and a wonderful way with words, farmsister.

Hugs to you,
Nicole

PS Wondering if you saw the blog post I wrote not too long ago about Newport? You might like to read it and see the photos of one of the places you mentioned. Hugs!
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=110

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Nicole!!! You just took me HOME!! HOME!!! That was so awesome! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I hadn't seen your blog post! If I had, I would've been sending you big farmgirl hugs for it a lot sooner! I used to LOVE shopping at Brick Market! There was a wonderful restaurant in town called the Rum Line... Is it still there? Have you ever been? Have you been to the International Tennis Hall of Fame or been there for a tournament? You'd think having lived so close by I would've gone, but, sadly, no... Something to look forward to! And I'm not sure if you knew this, but we had wanted to get married at Rosecliff, but our group of friends and family was just too large - didn't want to leave anyone out!!! I always used to be amazed by Newport's rocky shores, and my hubby and I loved riding down to Fort Adams to watch the sailboats in the harbor. I never realized this before, but you must be familiar with Christmas Tree Shops, then! Oh my gosh, do I miss them! I started shopping at the original shop on the Cape and then when we moved to RI I was so thrilled when they popped up in Newport and Warwick! Do you shop there at all? There used to be an amazing little Mexican place right across the road from the one in Newport. I haven't been back in, gosh, 15 years or more, but if it's there and you like Mexican food, they've got the best, hands down!

Well, I'm going to go be REALLY homesick now... But thank you SO much for that wonderful little gift! For just those few moments, I was home again. And it was wonderful... especially to see you and Audrey there! There are so many wonderful places to visit in South County and beyond. Natives always joke you can drive around the entire state in about an hour. If you ever want to expand your trip and tour some other sites, please let me know. I'll gather a whole list of recommendations for you up in a jiffy! :)

Stick your toe in the sand for me! LOL!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 12 2013 12:20:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - My husband just reminded me... Isn't Horseneck Beach in Westport? We used to go there often when I was a little kid!!! I had almost forgotten!! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

I'm going to be emailing you, darlin...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  1:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Just sent you a little email.

We like to go to Sherwood Island beach in Westport, but there are several. The other one I know is Compo beach.

Love Newport! There are so good many restaurants there, but one of my favorites that has been there forever is the Black Pearl. Oh! Their Shepherd's Pie and Chicken Pot Pies are to die for! Another favorite of mine is further down, away from the main "tourist" section. I can't think of it's name but it is above a private marina, so alot of tourists don't know it is there. It overlooks the water and is always delicious.

Sometimes we leave Newport before dinner and stop at the Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Restaurant in Old Saybrook. It is the best Mexican food I have had since leaving Texas!

And I LOVE Christmas Tree shops! I have one twenty minutes from my house and have stuffed many a farmgirl swap box with goodies from there! Lots of treasures to be found there!

I would love to hear other spots you recommend to visit. We love to go on day trips...it's just so pretty here and after twenty years, I know I haven't seen it all yet.

Hugs to you!
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  4:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, my friend, I'm working on the list... I wish I could be there with you! Someday... Someday, for sure!! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, thank you for making me homesick for New England ;) Between you and Nicole, I am wanting to hop on a plane :) Nini, you write beautifully, like Tina said your writing makes one feel as if she is there and smelling the salt air.

I remember my Dad mentioning Little Compton. And Horseneck Beach we used to go to when I was young. Is that where the Sand Dunes are? Rosecliff :) Nicole's blog post made me think of Rosecliff too, almost went to a party there had the dress and everything but things fell through.

Those are great lessons Nini and we can glean lessons like that in everything we do. Thank you for bringing me back to New England and for bringing a smile to this girl's face

Tina, what a wonderful blessing you are to your friend. I think that is a perfect gift too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  09:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Gee, Sharon... Sometimes I forget just how far YOU are from "home," too. I'm glad I could bring you back to that happy place for a short while. I know you love your "new" home now, too, like I do... But I think the saying is very true that you can take the girl out of New England, but you can never take New England out of the girl! :) If I ever get back there, I'm going to have to try to remember to get a list of goodies to pick up to send to you! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I just saw this post and was transported back there with your words. The beach is just part of my soul. It defines me and is SUCH a big part of who I am. I spent summers at the Jersey shore with the sand and surf and boardwalk. I made sure my daughter grew up there too. It makes me so sad that my grandgirls will not have that as part of their lives. Grown, my request for my August birthday was that we all go to the beach for the day and then took my little grandgirl to the little rides on the boardwalk. We always had sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions for dinner and it was the best birthday every year.
Now I live in Florida and the beach is part of my everyday life here. No boardwalk but I am very, very content with my sand and seagulls and sea breeze.
Your words are wonderful. I love the beaches of New England too and went there often during the year we lived in Boston. Thank you, thank you for your post. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  06:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joey! SO glad you enjoyed this post! You know what I miss? The jetties - those long, huge, black-boulder walks out to the sea. With the waves crashing alongside me as I avoided all the cracks, I used to imagine I would be swept away, then rescued and loved by a sailor from a magical faraway land. Silly girl dreams. You're so right, though - it really is a part of us, isn't it? Just thinking about being at the beach has a calming, soothing effect on my soul! I love those sausage, pepper and onion sandwiches, too! I make them every once in a while for my guys, complete with hot pepper sauce - they just love them! They're very good, but not quite the same as those from the beach vendors - it's so hard to get the onions and peppers perfectly done the way they do! LOL! I think I'll survive. ;) I'm so glad you live near the sand and the sea... Such a wonderful place to be... Your granddaughter must've LOVE visiting there with you! Such magical memories... Rest assured, they WILL last a lifetime! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Life Lessons From The Beach Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page