Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Becky
Monroe NH
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  07:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Hello Mary Jane and Sisterhood.

I am a 22 year old artist and farmer. I have recently been introduced to your magazine by my Mother. I really like the aesthetics of your book and magazine. I find many of the ideas to be quite inspiring and it seems like something that could be very helpful to someone with aspirations of self sustainability.
I do, however, have some trouble coming to terms with just how gendered the magazine and books tend to be. Why is it that the method of farming that you teach is "for women"? Is it the emphasis on beauty? A connection to the land? The parts about sewing or cooking?
I understand that these may once have been viewed as something for only the farmgirls, but in this day and age I think that these are valuable skills for all, no matter the gender.
Please do not view this as a criticism, I think that your work is a great resource. I also understand how, as a farmgirl yourself, you tend to view your audience in kind. It seems, however, that you should consider broadening your horizons. As a young man myself, I can tell you that it is not easy to subscribe to a magazine or blog that claims to be only for women and farmgirls.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

A Guy who cares about Sustainable and Beautiful farming practices.

Love connects us all.

Loveandlight
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Becky
Monroe NH
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile
This actually is my son writing the topic post. A timely subject as I see many young men and women bending old rules so to speak. He love the MaryJane books and magazines I have around the home. I really didn't know what to say when we were speaking about MaryJane's being only for women. Especially when he loves this work so much. I know as a women in my 50's I am familiar with the women rights movement and the feelings of exclusion. I just don't want anyone to be excluded because of gender. when something touches the heart, gender really doesn't matter.

Love connects us all.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  07:58:20 AM  Show Profile
I say whoever loves the magazines and organic lifestyles etc? Join in the fun!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  6:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Becky and son :) Welcome to MJF's forum. Back in Sept. of 2008 I broached this subject (under the suggestion part of Support in the forum) as my hubby was jealous and wanted MJF's to start a Rooster House for our roosters. Several found the idea fun and thought it would be great but I received no official response. Certainly, your son can read the site under your name and post as such I guess but I do agree this is a market just waiting to be tapped. It would be so nice if Mary Jane tapped it :) The site to me is to inspire women in achieving their dreams of living a sustainable, ecologically sound lifestyle while sharing their knowledge and wisdom in all aspects of life with their sisters. I don't think it is in any way meant to slight men.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  6:43:36 PM  Show Profile
I think this is a legitimate problem for lots of magazines that focus on organic and sustainable living. Even Mother Earth News seems mainly to cater to women. I'd like to see some men come forth and admit how much they like MJF.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RockyMtnFun
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Annette
Colorado
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Marketing to a select group is how we find our niche, doesn't mean others can't enjoy the magazine but if it changes to include all it loses it's majority that made it what it is. I would suggest starting a Rooster house newsletter/online mag to see if it will work. Then submit it to MJF for a partnership. I like the magazine for what it is and who it is for. The information can be used by anyone so I would hate to see it change. Adding a section would benefit both...
Women are the majority of magazine readership and supporters so those that cater to women succeed more.
Just statistics...but there are always new ideas to do so go out and make it happen.

Mountain Fresh
Whimsically FUN
AnnettesWhimsies
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Becky and Son,
My husband has also express an interest in all the things I do with MJF. He would like to join a rooster house and I think that if enough men showed an interest in this they could possibly start their own rooster site. It might be good to see how many are interested in becoming a part of this and then with the numbers we might be able to have MJF add the section/partnership for the roosters with their own membership. So what do you say ladies, shall we asked our husbands and sons if they would like to start a membership of their own and present the total number to see if a rooster house could be started with their own membership privileges/badges, etc. My husband Paul is interested.
Becky

My Blog: farmgirlmuse.blogspot.com

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  9:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I think you misunderstand. Please do not take offense or be troubled. MJF is not about teaching a method of farming that's “exclusively for women.” I don’t think there is such a thing! Nor is MJF and the Farmgirl Connection meant in any way to exclude or diminish the masculine - perish the thought! We love our boys and men! MJF is simply about being a girl - no matter what the age - and celebrating life with each other through a medium in which we can share similar ideas, ideals, interests, cares and concerns. (We're not just about farming, either; we are about so much more than that, as I’m sure you know from having read the magazine and perused the posts.) MJF is about the exquisite feminine farmgirl perspective, that's all; and its heart beats through this wonderfully diverse sisterhood of farmgirls - even if we're just farmgirls at heart. It's a place where we are educated, uplifted and encouraged through the words and wisdom of our sisters across the globe. There is always room for men in our lives - I, for one, live for mine! But sometimes a girl just needs to be a girl, and it’s just so nice for us to have a warm, safe place to be ourselves so we can share and express ourselves with other like-minded women. Surely, you should not find offense in that any more than I should find offense by male publications such as "GQ," which is designed to a man's magazine, but some women enjoy reading it, too!

Having said all of that, please know I think it's great that men enjoy MJF magazine, and I'm sure you and the other farm brothers have an important voice and much to share! I, for one would love to read what you have to say! Wouldn't a dedicated farmguy connection (and even publication, for that matter!) be such a wonderful thing?! It sounds like there is serious interest! I’m sure there are plenty of men out there who would like to participate in something that features their unique masculine perspective! Having a special farmguy website where farmguys can connect and share would be amazing! It sure seems as though some of our sisters here know and love men who might really enjoy getting involved! You have wonderful gifts and talents to share, and I can tell from your post you are a very insightful and articulate young man. There are probably many farmguys like you out there, too! I say it's time to go for it! I'll certainly help spread the word!

- Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 10 2013 9:38:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2013 :  08:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I think your post is very insightful and right on mark. You have described this place perfectly. I for one think someone starting a place for the men would be awesome!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nini . . . thank you for your comments.
I know that Mary Jane has done this work to build a community for women where we can, as Nini, says "be a girl". I for one as a "senior citizen girl" have appreciated the Connection and Sisterhood in ways I can't begin to describe.

My hubby is very much on board with MJF and my involvement here. He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that I'm encouraged by this forum/sisterhood. He does feel like a part of it because of my connection to it. I know there are many other men who feel that way. When I have actually met a farmgirl, I've met their hubby's too and sons. They are definitely part of the whole community, and I don't sense that any of them feel "left out".

I AM a farmgirl, being raised on one and living on part of the farm I grew up on. It was always a man's world and we worked hard alongside the men, getting sweaty and grubby and worn out. My hubby is always interested in the magazines, books and the posts. He's always excited when I share pics of his Longhorns here. Share his recipes as he is an excellent cook. My SIL is connected as well with my daughter's involvement. Their son is connected and enjoyed being involved when there are farmgirl gatherings at my daughter's house. They, too, have benefitted from this place for "girls" in interesting ways.

Mary Janes Farm is one of the best examples of a family endeavor I've seen. Her hubby, her son & his wife, her daughter and her hubby are all very much a part of the operation. They are an amazing family and one that I count it an honor to be friends of. Yes, I've visited the farm, met the family and staff and had personal conversations with Mary Jane and other members of her family.
I believe that there is room for all of us . . . in whatever way we want to "fit in". I'm grateful for Mary Janes vision.
I, too, encourage you to "ride along with us girls" . . . could be fun!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  8:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
In a world who's gender roles and stereotypes are generally well defined, it is wonderful to find groups and magazines willing to disregard these definitions and stereotypes and encourage folks to walk a different path. One of the things MaryJane's Farm does for me is give me information on tools that will work well for my smaller stature, this goes for men my size as well, but there aren't as many of those. And while it encourages some of the "traditional" women's skills, it also encourages us to break out and try some of the non-traditional skills. Growing up, learning both roles was part of our family norm, but sadly it is not part of everyone's. Even though this magazine appears to be geared toward woman, it seems more geared toward those people who choose to be more well rounded (and not just about the middle either). My partner and I share the workload on out small farm without regard for "men's work" or "women's work" divisions, and when we settle in for the winter rest, he and I both pick up our needles for a nice long season of well earned stitching time.

I don't know that we need a separate Rooster section as that reeks of "separate but equal." A sisterhood the included our brothers would be more to my liking. Where we all swing a hammer to build compost bins, then clean our hands, don our handmade aprons, and work a little kitchen magic. What might be better is to add a few more "masculine" tasks to our badges and invite the men to join a sister and brotherhood.

After all, what we can accomplish together is often far greater than the sum of what we can accomplish separately.

Farmgirl #1350

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile
I really like a man who does needlework. My son has done some beautiful cross-stitch.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of a Rooster House. I think the men should have a place to share. I do believe it should be seperate from MJF. I don't know if I can properly put into word what I mean without sounding disrespectful. And I hope I don't offend with my oppinion, but we share a lot of heart felt things and feel free to share. I think a male present would alter that and could cause mischief. Of course we should always share our hearts and feelings with the man in our life at home and MJF should not ever take the place of a good heart to heart. But we help support and strenghten each other as a community of women, and I'd hate to lose that.

I don't know if any of htis makes since, just wanted to share my two cents worth.

I do love what Nini and CJ has said!

Blessings!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  2:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Shanda.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  8:10:20 PM  Show Profile
My feelings exactly, Shanda.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic A Man who Farms? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic