pstill
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Pennie
Barnwell South Carolina
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  7:51:43 PM  Show Profile
I have a black and tan (dog) and she has mange. It just popped up and now the poor girl looks like a naked mole rat! She's constantly itching, she's scaley and has bald spots... and worst of all, we can't seem to get rid of the the foul odor that she has. I would really rather not treat her with chemicals and I wanted to try something with herbs at home, but I don't know of what she can have and can't have and I don't know for sure if there even is something that will make it go away.... if anyone has any tips, please let me know!! We have tried bathing her in Dawn dish soap, we have changed her diet to a more healthy one, tried washing her in oatmeal (the kind that we use for the kids when they have poison ivy) these all help for a few hours, but then she's back to her itchy, smelly self I sure hope someone has some tips or tricks they are willing to share!! Sammy is in need of some relief!! Thank You!!

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain

Pennie :)
Farmgirl #5381

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile
I remember some friends of ours had found a stray and he had mange. They bathed him in motor oil and washed it out of course and they fed him oatmeal. I remember they never fed him dog food but fed him oatmeal, boiled turkey legs and rice and the mange cleared up and he has a beautiful coat. He's a German shepherd.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile
1st off, has he been diagnoiced by a vet as having mange, there are 2 types, 1 is treatable and the other is not, 2nd off, are you sure its not a major food allergy, many dogs are allergic to differant grains, and/or high proteins (alot of people mistake severe allergys for mange)...without skin scrapings by a vet, you can not diagnoice which type of mange, or rule out that it is mange, or test for allergys...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

pstill
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Pennie
Barnwell South Carolina
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank You for the info girls!! Tina... I will do that!! I would rather not take a risk, she's my "free 300$ dog!" she was free, but I ended up having to take her to the vet, because she had parvo. We cured her from that.... she's very lucky! But she's very close to my heart and I love her to pieces.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain

Pennie :)
Farmgirl #5381
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  5:32:51 PM  Show Profile
First of all there's two different types of mange. Demodectic and sarcoptic. It is diagnosed through a skin scraping that is microscopically examined. Depending on the type depends on the treatment. As far as all natural I'd rather go through the vet treatment then dump motor oil on him.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  1:25:41 PM  Show Profile
My youngest daughter is having a potential problem with mange in her rescue boxer mix. This article is really interesting and offers up some natural solutions!

http://www.naturalnews.com/029853_canine_mange.html

Also, try a nice calendula salve-I think the idea with the motor oil was to suffocate the mites. Living in Maine, we had a HUGE problem with lice when we first moved up there-after using the chemical and having them come right back, I started having the girls sleep with mayonnaise on their hair wrapped in saran wrap and a knit hat LOL luckily it was winter, so they didn't mind, their hair was gorgeous and soft-but the viscosity of the mayo suffocated the live lice and made it wicked easy to comb out the nits. I think with the calendula salve, you will be healing the rough affected skin and suffocate those mites!

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart

Edited by - coccocolorado on Aug 25 2013 1:30:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Home Remidies For Mange? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page