Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How Do You Prepare Patty Pan Squash?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How Do You Prepare Patty Pan Squash? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Lucky me: Last year's attempt at growing patty pan was miserably foibled by my arch enemies, the squash bugs. Somehow, though, some of the remnants made it into the compost, and now this year I have patty pan galore in places I never planted it! LOL! I'm amazed, humbled, tickled and grateful. But to be truthful, I've only stumbled my way through throwing a few ingredients together to make a yummy patty pan dish or two. I would really love for you all to share your recipes - I would really like to wow my guys with these little beauties, but so far, it's only been so-so. They're so pretty! There just HAVE to be some wonderful dishes to prepare! If anyone knows, I know it's you girls. Please help!? Pretty please?

As a matter of fact - while I'm thinking of it... I planted some melons in one patch, but I've got some yellow squash coming up instead (again, from the compost). When I cooked it the other night, it was definitely squash consistency, but it had a wonderful melon-y flavor! I didn't know melon and squash could cross pollinate! How funny! Delicious, too... I wonder if I save the seeds if I would get a new, similar crop next year. Wouldn't that be a hoot! And I think one of my spaghetti squash plants crossed with either a watermelon or a zucchini. Don't have a single watermelon or zucchini out there to speak of, but I have this funny shaped spaghetti squash that's green and has the markings of both a zucchini and a watermelon! LOL! That ought to be interesting, eh? ;) Has this ever happened to you, too?

Thanks so much!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I would love some patty pan recipes too. They are cute, but I don't know what to do with them!
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini & Mary!
We love patty pans & here are some easy ideas I use....
1. shred patty pans & freeze for winter use
2. slice medium size med thick & dip in egg/milk then seasoned crumbs, cajun seasoning works good or something with a bite since patty pans are a bit dull then fry or bake
3. top a medium size one then scoop out seeds but leave plenty of the flesh to enjoy. fill with meat/veg stuffing or wild rice/mushroom stuff works great then place on homemade tomato sauce & bake til tender. *oil the patty pans & season too before baking. Everyone gets thier own which kids like
4.replace patty pans for zucchini in a bread recipe...makes a nice change of colour on a plate
5. there was a jam recipe that used zucchini & wold turn out tasting a lot like pineapple but I used patty pans & it sure got eaten quick. I can't find my recipe but maybe someone has it??
6. Pickled patty pans are soooo good...folks that don't like pickles will eat this with smile.
Sold a lot at the markets. In each jar I'd place red pepper flakes, pearls onions, black peppercorns & small garlic clove then pack with MINI patty pans (shin on) then fill with pickling solution. Prepare & process for proper storage!! The only time consuming thing was washing those little guys!! I use a new tooth brush to get into the dips.
7. here's a different salad of light lunch that I've been serving at functions & the plates are always empty! Cut medium size patty pans thin (not too thin!) & coat with olive oil & fresh cracked pepper then bake or fry. If fried drain well. Let cool. Cook til fork tender only!
First style... place patty pan on serving plate then top with garden mixed lettuce with poppy seed dressing. top off with fresh flower!
Second style which really is a show stopper....patty pan on plate top with wild rice/mushroom/crisp bacon/feta or if you like goat cheese use that mixed together & mound nicely. Season well with cracked pepper.
*let the patty pan edge show so it looks like a plate!!
8. I market sunflowers & are always looking for ways to hold them upright for shipping.....
those big bad boys hiding under the leaves, you know what I'm talking about, push holes into them just so the sunflower stems fit in tight. Make your arrangement then place the whole thing into a water container & know one will the patty pan. It's like free flower frogs!!
9. scrubbed fresh mini patty pans cold from the fridge are so good to pop into your mouth!
SORRY...got carried away! LOL Hope these will help out
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  4:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This is great! Thanks for the great ideas!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, Judy! Thank you! Carry away! Carry away! :)

I found a recipe online where you core them and stuff them with bacon, onions, soft bread crumbs and parmesan. I didn't have parmesan, so I used cheddar instead, and added a little garlic, cubes of multigrain bread, some Italian bread crumbs for texture, a small chopped banana pepper, and broccoli (Anything to get my son to eat broccoli! LOL!). Delish!

I'll be sure to share anymore when I find them!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That looks amazing!
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  8:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
Your supper looks soooo yummy! Picture perfect!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  07:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Where can you purchase the patty pans? I don't have a garden this year. Didn't even know what they looked until you posted the picture, Nini. These recipes sound delicious!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How Do You Prepare Patty Pan Squash? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page