Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What Season Makes You Come Alive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Season Makes You Come Alive? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  1:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

In what season do you come alive? What season makes you feel at your finest? And for what about it are you most grateful?

My favorite time of year is autumn. With its crisp, clean air and vibrant colors dancing all around, I feel so wonderfully alive and feminine... Cozy sweaters, time-worn jeans, leather boots, funky hats, hand-knitted scarves, fingerless gloves… The wind in my hair… Apples, pumpkins, berries and damp fallen leaves… I'm totally in my element - even in the rain... I just love the autumn rain. Love, love, love, love it. Don’t you just love the way the damp turning leaves cast their fluorescent glow against the backdrop of a graying wet sky? <sigh> It’s an absolute feast for the eyes. All I want to do is blanket myself in the marvelous wonder of nature, especially by losing myself in the deep of the silent woods. You will also most certainly catch me be-bopping down the roads belting out my favorite songs this time of year… James Taylor and Carole King, Simon and Garfunkle, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, The Carpenters, John Denver, The Eagles, U2… Sure, I may be a little off key and look slightly mad, but I don’t care one iota what people think! The fire of autumn is burning deep within! I'm happy! I'm free! I’m part of God’s wonderful creation and I am grateful, grateful, grateful. I love everything about the season, and I celebrate every single moment with thanksgiving in my heart. Let the onlookers laugh… perhaps they'll feel a little bit more alive and happy, too! :)

Fall…It’s just such a magical time for me! ’Makes me swoon just thinking about it. And - be still my heart - it’s just around the corner… I can almost feel it… Let the anticipation begin!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 03 2013 5:41:10 PM

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile
I love autumn. I love the colors and the cooler weather.

But I feel most alive in the summer. When I can wear shorts and t-shirts, go barefoot everywhere. Never wear make-up and my hair lives in a ponytail. I love swimming on warm days, the quiet of summer evenings. Sitting outside in the morning to have my cup of coffee. The animals moving freely through our woods. The smell of campfire, roasting marshmallows and the giggles of the kids running around outside after dark.

Dirty feet, the smell of grass on our clothes, hanging laundry outside. Laying in the sun without a care in the world. Taking evening walks with hubby and the dog.

I love working around the outside of the house. I feel very accomplished in my projects.

The sunshine brings me to life after the long winter. I am a totally different person in the summer. I am relaxed and fun to be around. Ready for adventure and happy.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  4:46:32 PM  Show Profile
Spring helps me come alive. I love it when everything is coming back to life, the trees are springing new leaves, the birds are back and making their nests and making pretty music early in the morning, everything is starting to green up, gardens are sprouting, seeds being planted, fresh air, spring cleaning and the smell of fresh air as we open the windows for the first time of the season. I could go on and on. Spring is my favorite season.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I would have to agree with Fall/Autumn. Love the colors, the smells, the cooler temps . . . usually really nice weather as we're no longer having the horrific wind that comes with spring and we're past the raucous summer monsoons.

The sky is brilliant blue, the air sweet and clean . . . ahhhhhh . . . FALL!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Yes! Yes! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Arttie - I think you've nailed summer right on the head! :) Summer truly does bring with it something sweet and soothing for the soul!

Janet - You're so right! The best part of spring IS the return of the birds and the green newness popping up everywhere! Love it!

CJ - Amen, sister! Guess our passion for autumn is just part of the Gaelic/Germanic Gardner blood! LOL!

Happy seasons for everyone!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 03 2013 5:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  6:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I have got to say Autumn! The weather is nicer and I have more energy when it is starting to get to be cooler days. I love, love, love sweatshirt weather. I love the colors, the tang in the air and the wonderful smells outside. Definitely the season that makes me come alive. :)

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  8:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Autumn. To me, it's a time when everything feels new. I guess it has to do with when I was a kid, and going back to school in the fall. The air feels new, the temperatures feel new, the days and nights feel new--the frost feels new and the way the leaves change color--it feels to me like I'm seeing it for the first time. Even the animals seem new--the babies are grown up and the deer change from their summer coats to their winter coats. It's a time for buying new clothes and wearing the new styles. (Though, for me, flannel shirts will always be in style). I love autumn. And I think it loves me.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  05:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I love fall weather. It makes me want to go camping and enjoy the fresh air and be one with nature. And...get away from electronics and busyness. I just told Hubby this morning, "could you pleeeeease fix up the camper soon?" I am hankering for a camping trip, even if it's not far from home.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  06:48:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm an autumn fan too, but I also love winter. I love when it is cold and crisp out. Nothing beats the sound of my boots crunching across a fresh, crisp snow!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  07:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There are some things I like about winter . . .I LOVE to go for long walks when it is snowing. Just nice lazy flakes coming down quiet and sweet! AND, building snow people, making snow angels, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile
I am all about Spring! All the flowers and breezes draw me in and make me want to get up and do. Even the colors say happy! The smell of fresh cut grass and lemonades. The feel of fuzzy sweatshirts and the cool breeze mixed with warm Sunshine on my face. Oh yes! I love me some Springtime!
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  8:21:07 PM  Show Profile
I wish
spring was my favorite season but I get red allergy eye and the sneezing. I too came alive when fall come. I want to cook, make apple & pumpkin pie, go for walk & hear the leaves under my feet. I love wearing earth tone colors and a sweater.
Janice
working on a user name... Janice NW? or Vintage Artist?
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  07:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Fall all the way! I love the crisp cool mornings when you need a jacket or a sweater but by about 11 a.m. they are gone and the day has warmed. The smell of the leaves is out of this world. School starts, the leaves change, you get to dig out the wonderful winter clothes (I do love sweaters and hats and scarves and mittens and blankets and...), and everything just starts that seasonal shift. Animals start to hair up, the garden is heavy with harvest, the colors are flattering, and the push to get the canning/preserving done is on. And although I love Fall, Winter is a close second. Those cold crisp days that the snow crunches under foot are the best. My favorite is a day that is about -20 and bright and sunny. Ahhhhh. Those are moments that it feels good to be alive.

Summer and Spring are nice but Fall and Winter are my favorite with Fall winning by a slight margin.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

http://lazymomgardener.wordpress.com/

http://littlehawkyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Well I have two, we tend to have REALLY long winters up herein central Alberta, Canada, it can snow as early as October and stick around to the end of April so when Spring comes I'm more than ready to see snow melting :).

But Fall is my very favourite I'd have to say. I love the crispness in the air, all the fall smells, sweater weather, all those wonderful things at harvest. It's still warm during the day but not too warm, perfect for going for long walks.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
and I see I am not the only girl who says Fall! LOL yeah, I live in Phoenix AZ, so Fall is when at least the nights cool down. But I have family in the pacific northwest (2.5-ish hours from Seattle) and I LOVE fall there. I love the cool days and cold nights there and horseback riding and needing long sleeves to go outside. My dream is to be able to afford acreage out there or in northwest Oregon. I also love the Fall issues of all the farming and country living magazines. Love the pictures of harvest and orange and red wreaths, pictures of how people decorate for fall and how they celebrate outdoors with picnics and get togethers. Looks like soooooo much fun!!

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Well I like the Fall/Autumn too. Here in Texas it really doesn't get cool during the days until late October, but nights are nice and cool. Good for a nice stroll, seeing leaves fall off and turn color on some trees. We live close to the coast. So the color really doesn't change much so I put color out on my porches and see my fall flowers. Smell the fall air and add bright fall colors in the house. Love to open up the windows and love the cooler breeze blow in. And to be with family during the holidays.
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  7:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Autumn is the best! I kind of shut down in the heat and when it finally starts to cool down I have energy that I haven't had for months. I love the colors, the harvest, the smell of cinnamon and apples and pumpkins, having to wear a sweater...Just thinking about it gets me excited since it is just around the corner! (I hope!!!)

Kim
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  06:10:59 AM  Show Profile
I vote with most of you. Fall. Love the break from the heat. The coziness of the first cold morning. The anticipation of the first fire. All the prep for holidays, back to school, sporting events.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  2:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny?! I am amazed at how many of us choose fall! I wonder if its just the cool air and vibrant colors that wash over us after the often oppressive heat of summer... Are those what cause our hearts to flutter? All I can tell you is that we had a few chilly days last week (such a teaser!) and I went a little bit out of my mind! I splurged on a couple of new fall outfits, searched for the perfect boots, baked a few goodies, made a casserole, stocked up on a few necessities for the pantry... I even treated myself to a new bottle of a favorite fragrance! I knew it wouldn't last - thank GOD it didn't last! - but it sure was nice while it did last! :)

I love the snowflakes in winter; how their blankets make everything glow and seem so magical. I love snowball fights, making snowmen, sledding and hot chocolate with marshmallows. And I love Midnight Mass on Christmas, and the lights twinkling on the trees, and the bright red berries and nose-tingling fir greens wrapped in a bow. And I love the way my husband's cold lips feel pressed against mine, and how quickly warmth returns to his cheeks when he settles into his warm easy chair with the newspaper. Hearts at St. Valentine's Day and shamrocks and corned beef and cabbage to celebrate St. Patrick... Oh - and the scent of candles warming the home. I just love candlelight - but that's in any season, really.

In spring, it's all the beautiful flowers and the promise of summer gardens to come. And, of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all the pretty dresses and patent leather shoes at Easter time. Oh the florals and pastels! And Easter's colored eggs, brightly beribboned baskets and fluffy chocolate bunnies... Such a season of hope and renewal!

I always thought I hated summer, but when I think about it, I realize that is so wrong of me to say! What would life be without beaches and barbecues? Without the Fourth of July and boats in the harbor? Without sparklers and lemonade and ice cream cones and s'mores? Without amusement parks and concerts on the green? Without bountiful gardens and fireflies? I don't know what I was thinking! I love summer! It's the HEAT I don't enjoy!

But give me falling leaves... give me candy corn... give me a hay bale maze down at the farm... give me chilly, fragrant orchards at pickin' time... give me cider with a cinnamon swizzle-stick... give me bonfires to cause me to cuddle under my husband's arm... That's what my heart longs for most of all!

Happy day, girls! Happy day!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 08 2013 2:21:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  05:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
Was thinking about you this am. Will email you!
I think fall and spring are my favorite seasons!
I love the cooling down in fall and the beautiful fall colors before the leaves fall. Love seeing them on the ground as well.
I love the spring as it begins to warm up after much too cold winters :)
Enjoy beginning to plan my container gardens for the spring/summer!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  2:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, that's a no brainier for me: NFL FOOTBALL!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  2:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Winter all the way...the farm/ranch has been put to bed, all the canning/persrving is done, gardens are tilled under, butchering is finished...its when I have time to read, write in my journels, and reflect on the year, do some craft projects that I am way behind on, and generaly just breath...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  08:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Great post Nini!!!

I think that all seasons have something wonderful about them but for me,I thrive in Autumn, it is my season. I also love the crisp, fresh air, the newness of the season like going back to school as Cindy mentioned. I cannot wait to go to the orchards and pick apples and plums for Apple Pie and Plum Butter. Hot Caramel Apple Ciders on a nippy evening. The first fire in the woodstove and the smell of woodsmoke. Another Autumn Rain lover here too :) One of our favorite things to do is to bring a couple of Lattes with us while we go antique shopping in the rain with classical music playing in our vehicle :) Flannel Sheets!

Nini, I am with you on the time worn jeans, sweaters, boots and fingerless gloves. Love them! Going to the Pumpkin Patch to pick out a favorite and making Honey-Pumpkin Pie. Bringing nature indoors with branches of colorful leaves and acorns. My honey and I love to percolate some coffee on the firepit outside in the evening and share a slice of pie with our coffee (decaf) while stargazing and bundled up in a quilt.

Going for Autumn drives in the mountains and packing a picnic lunch equipped with Hot Cocoa :)

One place that we like to go, where the Aspens in their glory are phenomenal:

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sharon! Breathtaking! Did you ever go to the Big Apple in Wrentham as a kid? I can't remember if we ever talked about that... Anyhow, your picture reminds me of the drive from the main road up to the barn a little bit... What a wonderful place in the fall! I can almost smell the barrels and bags of apples, the heavenly aroma of frying donuts and sweetness of the candied apples in the air right now! :)

Linda - I think I may have missed your email! I'm so sorry! I'll have to recheck. My mind is going in a hundred different directions today! Forgive me!! Spring really is a special time, too, you're right! I love the newness of it all, especially after the world's long winter's nap. I guess what it boils down to is, we really do find many joys in every single season, don't we? :)

Marly! AMEN, sister! AMEN! LOL! I'm telling ya, we're going to meet at the Super Bowl one day soon! ;)

Tina - There really is something special about the blanket of winter. I, too, love how peaceful things become, and there's nothing like the retreat of one's cozy home in winter. It's the best place in the whole world!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  09:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Add me to the legions of Fall fans!

I anticipate that first whiff of woodsmoke in the chilly, dark hours of early morning. Love the sound of the leaves crunching beneath my shoes, and I anticipate that cold splatter of rain against my skin. I'm always more creative during this time of year, too.

Farmgirl Sister #5159
My blogs: http://14thandoak.com & http://thehomefrontkitchen.com
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandmadeHomefront
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
How did I miss this thread??? I was just commenting on the thread about when do you decorate for Fall? Just add me to the list of Farmgirls who have so perfectly covered the aspects of what makes Fall their favorite season. Sharon, that photo you shared is AWESOME!!! One of my favorite treats is Pumpkin Spice coffee from The Fresh Market. Oh my, it is pretty special, in my opinion! I also crafted a homemade recipe of coffee I call Warm Apple Pie by mixing together various different blends of coffees. It is pretty good, if I say so myself. Recently, I have been enjoying fall planning with the Fall Fun swap and the upcoming September dishcloth swap. They were the perfect excuse to dig into fall ideas and have some fun making items for my swap buddies.

While I agree that every season has it's fun and special qualities, nothing inspires me more than Fall. It always has been that way. Maybe it came from the air of the Blue Ridge Mts and that Virginia soil growing all those delicious apples!!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Season Makes You Come Alive? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page