Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I've filled up my pantry in this house- and I'm trying to figure out how to better store my foods. My flours are getting to be a pain, because I can't find the right container to keep them in. We don't have bugs (yet, anyway- roaches and the South go hand-in-hand), but I'd still like to keep the different kinds of flours in a container of sorts. Right now, I keep open bags in ziplock bags, but that doesn't work too well for keeping the pantry neat and organized.

Any ideas? Will those rubbermaid containers work- as long as the top stays on there good?

Thanks-
Kim in NC

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:03:51 AM  Show Profile
I like to use old tins..sometimes I line them with big ziploc bags just to be sure..but love how they look. I use alot of tupperware too..but in any open shelves I like tins or jars. I use gallon and 1/2 gallon glass jars alot too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Wehave a big bug problem in Arkansas soI store my flour in the freezer.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I store my flour in a big glass jar with a red metal lid. It holds a 5 lb bag nicely and the top is wide enough to use my scoop. It looks like an old fashion jar, but it is newer. My sis-in-law loved it and I found them again last year for her at Wal-mart. I leave it out on my jelly jar cupboard and also have my sugar in 1. I've also seen some big glass ball canning type jars with plastic screw lids-my niece in NC had her flour and sugar in these and said she found them at the Dollar General.
We have big mice problems so I keep everything in glass or rubbermaid, tupperware type containers. I also reuse the plastic containers from my peanut butter for things and the bulk plastic containers that have nuts, sunflower seeds, those little favor mints, and chocolates. These came from Gordon's Food Service-a bulk store-you may find some like them at other places or if someone is having a party-I got 2 really tall ones by asking a coworker for them after a party at work.

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I buy organic flours in bulk and like Julie, store it in the freezer. I think/hope that it keeps the oils fresher while I use it up. I keep gallon pickle jars on the pantry shelf about half full of regularly used flours (can't bake bread with cold flour!), but I use it up quickly so it's always fresh.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile
I have my flour stored in #10 cans with an oxegyn pack in each can. When I need more flour out, I fill a 1-gallon glass jar and keep it on the countertop. I have never had any problems with bugs, as the lack of oxegyn seems to make living a bit difficult! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
When I buy a new bag of flour I will freeze it for at least 7 days. I leave it longer if I need something to fill space in the freezer. then I put it in a rubbermaid/tupperware container. I read that you can use a stick of mint gum to keep bugs away as they don't like mint.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:22:12 PM  Show Profile
NAK, OHT
I keep my wheat berries in the fridge. I buy 25lbs. every couple of months from our food co-op.

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I store mine in glass jars with tin lids -- the lids have little sealer rubber bits on them -- and this keeps the bugs (we have moths up here pretty bad) out fairly well. The only time I find bugs in my flour is when they've come home from the store with me.

Interestingly, I found glass jars cheaper than plastic, because I found them on a sale. Plus they are so much prettier.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  4:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, I have probably ten or eleven different kinds of flour in the house! Mostly it goes in tins. Probably 25 years ago I got some cans of Charles Chips and used the tins for flour. (You're supposed to buy more refills and keep the chips crisp in the tins, but I wanted them even then for flour!) Then when I started buying artisan flours, I wanted another big tin. I was pleased and surprised to find Charles Chips in the tins again at Cracker Barrel! The tins aren't the same exact size, but they're close enough.

I keep some of the 'smaller' flours such as brown rice flour and potato flour in glass jars, and rye and barley flours in glass or the original bag stuffed into a plastic one. I don't use any tupperware as the plastic can pick up odors like rancid fats, and I never keep them in the freezer as it messes with the moisture content. I just buy what I need as I need it, and do the sniff test every time I go to use it.

Maybe it's because I live in northern Illinois, but I haven't had buggy flour since probably the seventies. I don't know why. Makes me think of an old coffee advertisement for Old Judge Coffee. It says it's irradiated, and "that settles the question."
Go to Top of Page

farmkitty
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Angela
Anderson South Carolina
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  4:45:32 PM  Show Profile
I too agree with Julie. I buy whole wheat and usually try to get organic , it seems to last longer if stored in the freezer. Most of the time I transfer it to a ziplock/freezer bag or sometimes use my food saver to seal it. I also have one of those cheapie Eurosealers that is magnetized, stored on the refrige door and will quickly make a heat seal on the top of opened plastic bags. Being from South Carolina I deal with kitchen critters alot !!
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  6:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
If you don't have access to lard tins you can buy them at Lehman's online. They also have a great catalog with down-to-earth solutions to keeping your home in shape. They have a lot of goods that cater to the Amish (Lehmans.com).

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3991&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=lard

I have also been using those big colorful tins that have the popcorn in them that we've ben given on occassion at Christmas. They are wonderful for keeping flour fresh and bugs out.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2

Edited by - Norskema on Oct 25 2006 6:56:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas here!

I have three of those big colorful popcorn tins that Candace is talking about. I used them to store toys and offseason blankets, etc.

Does anyone need one or three? The three designs are Saturday Evening Post, Green polkadot with brown teddy bears and last one has black lab puppies on a red & black background. They would be light, but awkward, to mail. I'll give it a shot though.

Jo
P.S. I store my flour inside Ziploks, or canning jars.

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Oct 26 2006 09:00:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  08:44:05 AM  Show Profile
I store my flours and dry goods in gallon-sized apothecary jars with rubber seals around the lids to keep it air-tight and prevent bugs from getting in. They also look quite nice lined up on the pantry shelves. I have smaller sizes for things like cornmeal and powdered sugar.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  10:32:07 PM  Show Profile
I keep my flour in Rubbermaid containers. The really UNprocessed stuff I keep in the same, but in the freezer. I have fibromyalgia so the plastic is lightweight for me and I can see readily how much I have.
Even though I live in Wisconsin, grain bugs and the like are a constant problem.
Food safe 5 gallon pails might be available for a nominal cost at food co-ops. I've seen them at a local Mennonite grocery for like $2.00. I don't keep that much on hand as it is just my husband and myself, but it would be an option if you bake a lot.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  06:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Kim! I'm right there w/ you girl!

As you well know, we in the South also deal w/ the sweet ants too!

Can't tell you how many times my cooking/storage pantry was cleared out 'till I finally got smarter than the bugs (for now).

I also keep corn meal and smaller bags in the frige/freezer in zip lock.

Had to throw out a whole bag of flour this summer. It also helps to remember to snap the lid down tightly (duuuh). Totally my fault.

I have used the rubbermaid containers too for sugar but keep my most precious flours in Tupperware canisters. The lids just fit air tighter.

And for pet food I discovered the vittles vaults. The lids spin down and have a rubber gasket that will keep their foods fresher smelling far longer. The smallest can fit a 5 lb. bg of cat food, so maybe a few of these might fit the bill. These smaller canisters stand taller, so storage on short shelves might be a concern.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile
I keep my flour, sugar, oats and a few other things in those large glass canisters that have the knob handle on the lid (Target, WalMart have them).I have my brown sugar in a square glass cannister with green lid , that my grandparents always kept their brown sugar in! Old fashioned looking , practical because I can see when I am running out and I use it so often rarely have I had a problem. I did stop buying my flour from the bulk area of the health store because it always seemed to have bug problems and YUCK! that does not put you in the frame of mind to bake!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Flour, and what to keep it in Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page