Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 So much for gardening with chickens!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic So much for gardening with chickens! Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile
We let some roosters free range until we could get them butchered. Well the little suckers decided to help themselves to my raised beds. At first we thought the damage was from the tomato worms, which we worked very hard at getting rid of. Low and behold - one day coming home from work, I see roosters in my tomato bed helping themselves to the green tomatoes! They ate every single one! Now out of 24 plants, we got 3 tomatoes! I am so mad! Those roosters are going in the freezer this weekend.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  7:40:15 PM  Show Profile
The only good rooster is a .........
I never keep the roosters around unless we either are trying to hatch out our own chicks or if we want them for the freezer.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Aw we have 4 Roos and a couple are a bit more aggressive but one for sure is a sweetheart. Loves to be held and carried around the yard. They do really help keep all the girls together and protect them. But there again I have a pretty well fenced garden but that was put in place to keep deer out! They eat whole tomato plants in seconds. Yikes!

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  10:52:56 AM  Show Profile
We made hoops out of pvc over our raised beds and then stretched bird netting over the hoops. The raised beds are right in our chicken yard. The chickens provide a good bug eating moat around the beds and the bird netting saves our tomatoes and peppers from damage.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

magentajp921
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

connie
Plant City florida
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Paula. I started keeping my tomatoes in pots on the patio so the chickens couldn't get to them.

Connie Lowe
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic So much for gardening with chickens! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page