MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  5:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share our latest Do-it-yourself project, it turned out better than I imagined! Pretty proud of my handy husband!

http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/

Click on my blog link as I couldn't figure out how to post the pictures..sorry.

Edited by - MichelleTN on Oct 24 2006 5:47:01 PM

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  6:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Very nice my great aunts did that about 50 years ago to go around there entire house they retrieved their bricks from the dump when people still went to the dump to retrieve things.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I love it so much now I am thinking brick paths too...lol..I know DH won't be too excited about that since digging out the base and all the sand tamping really got to his back.

My Blog: http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  8:57:04 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!!! (jaw dropping)!! That is lovely!! Great job!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  03:52:04 AM  Show Profile
There's nothing like antique bricks -- tell your husband he did a great job! He deserves a special treat -- chocolate chip cookies served on the brick patio, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful brick patio, Michelle! I'm a brick saver myself. Your husband did a wonderful job! When I visited your blog, I saw your daylilies. Do you know their names? My dh and I have been growing daylilies for about 10 years(How cool that you get to visit Oakes daylily farm!).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful, beautiful job! I'd planned on doing a walkway like that, but I don't (yet!) have any brick. But when I do, I'm going to use a garden hose to 'draw' it out, trace the hose with flour or garden lime, and then use a tiller to break up the sod before shoveling. I try to be as gentle on my back as I can!

You have a beautiful patio to be proud of now, and a hubby to be proud of, too!
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:30:35 AM  Show Profile
No, I don't know the names...I bought them for a $1.00-$3.00 a fan by a lady who supports her Daylily habits by dividing and selling hers. I will be soon moving some of mine, would you like me to share some fans?? Do you have pictures of your daylilies? WOuld love to see yours too.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Michelle! I would love to trade!!! :) I have a spreadsheet with pictures of some of mine done by a friend here in Louisville that I give 'samples' to often. I'll email it to you(today, if I find it here in my office - tomorrow if it's at home). We have nearly 200 cultivars. I always buy the Eureka Daylily Guide, and pictures of Oakes daylilies are always featured in there. Good for you that you actually go there! There aren't too many daylily farms here in Kentucky(with the huge exception of Thoroughbred Farm - that guy is the 'king' of hybridizers. And VERY expensive, too.)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Michelle .. your brick patio is glorious .. send that man up here to kentuck to do one for me! we have a stone patio which is like walking over boulders to get to the house .. i'm threatening to pull them all up and let it go back to grass!

loved your 'tiques! AND Kennedy Elizabeth is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! aren't grands GRANDE! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  07:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Michelle!! It's beautiful! My parents did a brick patio out in front of our kitchen in Mass. about 35 years ago. It's still there!! So,35 years from now, you will still be enjoying your handiwork! That's not a bad payoff. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  07:39:19 AM  Show Profile
He is also going to be building me a Arbour type struture over it!! I have not figured out yet what I am going to grow on it..maybe roses? Any suggestions??

And Janice...there is another farm around here we just go buy huge clumps of daylilies for $10.00 each, I usually go in with 2 friends and then we divide the clumps in thirds. Some of the clumps have up to 15 fans each. http://www.wrightsdaylily.com/ When I dig I will try to at least tell you what colors they will be.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  9:13:46 PM  Show Profile
I just love the patio - the pattern and colors of the bricks are lovely!!! An arbor will be so nice, too - for shade as well as for beauty! A friend of mine down here grew birdhouse gourds all over a pergola (a walk-through arbor) and they hung down here and there - the foliage was really lush and the whole thing was very pretty. Again - GREAT patio!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  9:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Michelle! It's just beautiful! I have long wanted to reclaim bricks for a patio...I keep watching for buildings coming down, but so far nothing! LOL Who sits around waiting for these things? Only me. I am the Fred Sanford of my neighborhood! Anyway, the patio is lovely! I'm sure you will enjoy many hours there!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  03:51:22 AM  Show Profile
What you are looking for is a "pergola" it is an arbor type structure but more of a patio shape. They are really big in Europe. This old house and Norm has built them a couple of times. They can have plants on them or not. I would grow something controlable and then add a perennial that dies back or an annual that is fast growing.
We built one behind our restaurant for weddings and planted wisteria, just beautiful. Then we put in annual flowering vines that took over for the rest of the season. Up here in NY wisteria is controlable.
Beautiful patio!

Edited by - Mari-dahlia on Oct 27 2006 03:52:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  08:11:01 AM  Show Profile
Marianne,

Yes, Pergola is what we are going for..thanks for the tips on what to plant, as I don;t want to creat a plant monster at my back door!

And thanks for all the compliments, everyone!

Michelle

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  11:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
LOL - I HAVE to tell you about our recycled brick patio.

We lived in Florida at the time, and had a 15x10 foot area off our Florida room that would have been perfect for a patio. Your corner is almost exactly what our house looked like, yellow siding and all, tho just one step.

While visiting relatives in Illinois we kept looking in the paper for old brick, thinking we could just take a load down with us. Uncle Mark said he had some from his old chimney, and then he also knew someone else that had knocked down their chimney and dumped the bricks in the woods. He went with us to get permission to take the brick, so there we were for several days, digging around in the woods in August with all the poison ivy & sumac, and loaded them up a few at a time into the back of my 94 Cherokee.

My Uncle also loaned us his old pop-up camper as a trailer to help us carry the brick down in. The jeep was so overloaded that the tiniest bump in the road made the tires hit the wheel wells. We knew it was going to be a long trip.

By now I had a RAGING bad case of poison ivy. Apparently I reacted very badly to it, I had huge swollen boils on my arms and they HURT as well as itched. Somewhere around 11pm near Nashville, TN, DH pulled off the road because something "didn't feel right." He looked the trailer over and realized one of the wheel bearings had fused from the friction. We found a hotel, got me a large bucket of ice to help calm my poison ivy, and waited for morning.

Blessedly, there was a U-Haul rental place practically next door to the hotel - and they did repairs on trailers! So we rented a U-Haul trailer, unloaded the bricks (oh, and four old chairs) into the back of that trailer, dropped off my Uncle's trailer to be repaired, and headed home (we knew the little trailer just wasn't made for all that weight). We got home late that night, unloaded the brick & chairs, got a few hours rest (me trying oh-so-hard to rest, because that poison ivy was only getting worse) before heading back to Nashville to return their U-Haul and get my uncle's trailer back.

After all that, we counted out and cleaned the brick only to find out, we didn't have enough to do the patio. We did our front walk though, and was a BEAUTIFUL sight. The remaining brick became borders for our rather large vegetable gardens. It sure pained me to leave all that brick behind when we moved.

(oh, and I had to have a few weeks of steroids to get rid of the poison ivy, and I carried scars for 2 years).

So - glad you had your OWN brick!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Looks great! I would love to do that! At our old house, about 4 years ago, I made a 10' x 20' patio using one of those "block maker" forms that you pour concrete into to make it look like cobblestone. I did it during a week that my boys and husband were all at church camp (Hubby was a counselor) and I thought I would die from the weight of all the cement. I determined right than and there that at my next house I would do bricks! But either way, there is a great pride in saying, "I did it myself". Great job!!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Recycled Brick Patio Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page