Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Blue Ribbon Baking Recipe Swap-closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Blue Ribbon Baking Recipe Swap-closed Next Topic  

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  07:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies,

After chatting with many of you and discussing this with my techie son I guess the least expensive way to do this would be to scan all the recipes and email them to you. Then you can copy them and put them in a binder. So here we go.

This is a Blue Ribbon Recipe Swap. These are "sweet" recipes that have won or are worthy of winning a Blue Ribbon at your County or State Fair. I suggest cakes, breads, pies, cookies, brownies , etc. You will either email or snail mail them to me. You can copy them from a book, handwrite them or type them on your computer-whichever way is easiest for you. I will scan all of them and email the lot of them to you. Then you can put them in a binder and we'll all have a great book full of Blue Ribbon Winners. When you sign up I will send you either my email(or you can find it here) or I will give you my address. I'll keep this open until Aug 31. After that time I will close the swap.

On the recipe please let us know your first name, whether or not this has won a ribbon and if so what fair did you compete in.

Ok, gals, ready, set, go!

Hi Gals,

With county fairs in full swing I thought it would be fun to host a "Blue Ribbon Baking Recipe Swap". I participated in our fair last week and won a couple of blue ribbons myself! These would be your favorite tried and true baking recipes that would hands down win a blue ribbon at your county fair! I have never hosted a swap before so I am open to suggestions.

This is my plan but I am open to other ideas on how to run this. I really want everyone to have all of the recipes that come in rather than just swapping with a person or two. I am thinking that you will send in a recipe or two of a "blue ribbon baked good" on 8 1/2 X 11 paper - either typed, copied or hand written. I will make copies of all recipes,collate and three hole punch them so that they are binder-ready. That way at the end you all will have a binder full of blue ribbon recipes. I will mail them in manila envelopes. Once received you can put them in your binder.
I don't mind doing all of the leg work but I don't want to absorb the cost of the postage. Depending on the number of gals who participate it might cost me a fortune. I'm not sure about scanning and emailing all of the recipes.

Anyone interested? Any other ideas on how to get these to you? Thanks I'll take a weeks worth of suggestions and we'll go from there.

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com
www.CountyFairVintage.etsy.com
www.CountrygirlSoul.blogspot.com

Edited by - horseychick on Sep 03 2013 6:57:59 PM

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile

Melanie,

This sounds like fun! Count me in. Please post more info as you can.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile
This sounds fantastic! To save you the postage would it be easier if we send each person a copy of the recipe typed up? Or on a recipe card?
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  10:46:03 AM  Show Profile

Shannon,

Let me think about it...will send you an email by sometime this evening or Wednesday...

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

betmingo
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Betty
Athens Michigan
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm in... we can just write them on a post card to send. They are cheap to mail to everyone! I have a few from way back in the day!
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  7:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Yes, post cards are cheaper. I guess I was thinking that, in the end, we would all have a nice binder filled with recipes.

Unless, each gal would send a copy of their recipe to everyone on the list. You would have to be willing to send out that many though.

More ideas?

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  7:58:57 PM  Show Profile
OOPs, Shannon you said that. Great minds think alike.

Go to Top of Page

Oakie
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Dee
Clay Hill Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  04:17:02 AM  Show Profile
The post card idea sounds great. Everyone could send you their address, all you would have to do it make a master list with the addresses. Email it to everyone who signed up, and everyone else sends one post card with their recipe on it to the people on the list. You will know who did this because you would get one from everyone who signed up. I think it would be neat getting different postcards from everywhere and all the different kinds of recipes.

Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Dee
Sister #5303
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good plan Dee. I'll wait a couple of more days for any other ideas. Should we put a limit on it ladies? Will you be willing to send, to say 20+,
farmgirls, if that many people sign up?

Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie,

I just did something similar for my recent swap! Here's how it turned out.

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Dee
Clay Hill Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  06:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I would do it, but I'm sure not many ladies would do it due to the cost of stamps. I just happen to have a roll of stamps that have been sitting here for the longest time just waiting to be used... I do like the book that C. posted that might work.

Dee
Sister #5303
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  06:25:17 AM  Show Profile
coccocolorado,

That's what I was going for- something like that. I looked under swaps for a recipe swap but did not see that one. I wanted to see what other recipe swappers did. How did that one work? Did you send to several people?

Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  06:28:40 AM  Show Profile
OK, coccocolorado,

I just looked back. I was looking for the words "recipe swap" so didn't even check the bundt cake thread. How many gals participated in that?

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3105 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3105 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do this, but I kind of prefer the book like the picture posted rather than postcards. I would be willing to send postage along with my recipe - would that work??
Heather

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  4:51:06 PM  Show Profile
I had six printed, and postage was not bad at all! I did have them printed off at Officedepot. You could always just be responsible for collating the recipes and then sending them out in an email to participants as a downloadable document-for printing at home.

C

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile
That's a good idea too, C. I'll give that some thought, as well.

I was hoping to wrap this up in the next few days. I just got word that we have had a death in the family in PA. This will be my third trip to PA for a funeral since Sept. There was actually a fourth person who passed but that funeral was right on the heels of the first relative so we did not go that time. UGH, the family members around my mom's age are all in their late 70's/early 80's and they are all passing. Sad times. While I'm driving I'll consider all the options and post this next week. Thanks for all the great ideas. I appreciate your input.

Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  05:29:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry for your losses!

Have a safe trip!

C

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1249 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1249 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Would love to join this swap. All the ideas are go ones. I don't mind sending the postage if I need to, I have on other swap that I have been in. So whatever you decide is okay with me.
C I love my bundt cake recipe book.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
www.etsy.com/shop/markiebuck
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I would like to be in on this. I like to idea of printing off the recipes from an electronic file and placing in binder. Melanie, can I email my recipe to you before the swap closes?

I am so sorry for your recent loss. It sounds like it has been a very hard year for your family. We had a year like that a few years back, with so much loss it just took my breath away. Sending wishes for peace and comfort.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  5:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Pam. It has been a kicker of a year. Yes, feel free to email your recipe whenever you are ready.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  04:28:20 AM  Show Profile

Melanie,

So glad you got my recipe.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  9:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Is it too late to join? I can send mine tomorrow if it is alright? This just sounds too yummy to not join in

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  9:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Jump in Judy. You have until Aug. 31. Send something yummy!

Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  9:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, if you click on "horseychick" my email address will be there.

Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  08:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls,

I'm going to wrap this up tomorrow night. If you haven't emailed your recipe please send them to me by tomorrow night and will will start to distribute them.
alphgammel@aol.com

Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Blue Ribbon Baking Recipe Swap-closed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page