Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Do you have honey bess in your yard?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Do you have honey bess in your yard? Next Topic  

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  09:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Last year lot's of honey bees all over flowers and veggies. this year very few. This is very disturbing. No bees, no food. I'm reading more about destruction of hives due to pesticides. Only organic pesticides on my land. I like to see life happeneing around me. Stop spraying and look for organic options. Save the bees, please! I'm in far NE TN, up near NC/VA state lines.

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  09:21:46 AM  Show Profile
I did get a hive of bees in April. So glad I did. I love watching them all over. I'm trying to plant more flowers and shrubs that they'll like. We have several bee keepers around N. Ga. and Chattanooga.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  3:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes I have honey bees. They are doing well. I split my hive this year, so hoping they make it. It was so cold and rainy this spring, I split couple weeks ago. Did see a queen cell the other day, so fingers crossed. The old hive is so full of bees. Hoping they making it through winter number 2. Tara have you considered getting a hive of your own? Those girls are the hardest working gals I know!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  10:20:01 AM  Show Profile
We lost our one remaining hive last summer to the skunks. However before that happened the hive split naturally and a huge swarm flew off over the trees one day while I was feeding the chickens. It made me happy to know that I had provided for them to prosper enough to create a whole new colony all on their own. I nearly cried when I saw the destruction from the skunks. This year we don't have nearly the bees in our gardens as expected. However the ones I do see are blond ones, just like the Italian bees that split from our lost hive last year. I hope they are "our girls", and hope they continue to prosper in their hidden wild hive, wherever it might be (bee).

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  2:34:47 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors a block away have a hive. My next door neighbor is allergic to bees so I can't have one. There are a few more bees since the sunflowers have bloomed. No bees on the echincea, pensteum and zinnias, why? Last year these flowers were alive with bees.

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile
We have honeybees also. It seems like honeybees are disappearing. People don't understand how much a devastating effect it has on agriculture. Bees are nature's little miracle workers.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile
We have a few honeybees in the yard, but the past two years we have a HUGE Bumblebee in our yard. I know nothing about Bubble Bees. This one has to be 2 inches and a fat one at that. I did see a honeybee and a hummingbird feeding off the same flower cluster together. The bee on one side and the hummingbird on the other.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

Edited by - AnnieinIdaho on Jul 24 2013 11:38:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Do you have honey bess in your yard? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page