soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Since we rarely have any corned beef leftover after St. Pat's Day, I thought I'd get a brisket and do homemade corned beef and can it for hash.

So here's my question...

Everything I've seen online says "use the seasoning packet that comes with your brisket". I get my brisket from a farmer, not the grocery store. Also, as someone with gluten issues, I don't trust what's in those little packets anyway. When I make corned beef, I brine it for a week-ish, then cook it in the oven.

I'm thinking if I make the brine, put it in the jars with the brisket, then pressure can for the 75 minutes for pints that you usually do for beef, it should be ok, right? Kind of like beef pickles?

Thoughts, recipes, suggestions, and anything else you'd like to throw into the conversation are all always welcome!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  7:02:54 PM  Show Profile
GREAT idea, Ann! Here is a link to a topic about brining brisket from this past St. Patrick's Day: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62670 I hope it will be helpful! The girls have posted a few suggestions and even links to some of their favorite recipes! I was so excited! I learned so much!

I've never canned corned beef, but am eager to see what the girls have to say. We love it, too, and no matter how much I make, there is never even enough left over for our favorite post-St. Paddy's Day sandwich - Reubens!!! My Grandpa made the best corned beef hash, too. I'm going to have to ask my Mom for the recipe! I never thought to can it! I'm really excited about it! So, thanks for posting!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Nini! I use Alton Brown's recipe for brining, seasoning, and baking, and he's never let me down, so I was hoping to find a way to adapt it somehow.

I agree about the Reuben's. The pumpernickel is one of the few things I miss since going gluten free (it's made from rye and wheat). But, I've learned to "settle" on some toasted GF whole grain bread (Udi's), and this year, I'm hoping to maybe put up some of my own sauerkraut to have with some brisket.

Plus, hash and eggs on a chilly spring morning is oh so good!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  1:55:30 PM  Show Profile
We LOVE canned corned beef. I usually just buy it on sale at St Patty's day and can it up. Super tender and flavorful. It doesn't really matter what spices you use for your meat flavoring as long as you pressure can it for the appropriate time and pressure for your area. So if you find a brine you like... go for it. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile
My question I guess is this:
Brine it before putting in the jars, then drain, add spices, and can OR
Make brine, put brine and beef in jars, and can
???

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Corned Beef Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page