brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  05:03:20 AM  Show Profile
I saw a post on a web site about using lemon essential oil for relief of shingles blisters.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet, so I am looking to my trusted farmgirl friends for advice.

Shingles blisters are painful enough I don't want to make them worse by irritating them with the wrong substance.

Anyone with experience?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile
My mom had shingles, it is excruciating. I hope you feel better soon! I use essential oils and I trust both of these sites to give accurate info. Good luck!

www.everythingessential.me/HealthConcerns/Shingles.html

( lots of good info and a few different options to try)

https://www.facebook.com/CampWander OR www.campwander.com

( I check these sites regularly. Rebecca is extremely knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions!)

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Jul 17 2013 4:32:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  6:54:58 PM  Show Profile
I have not tried but have been told by others in our lavender association that lavender hydrosol or EO works well on shingles.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  7:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Such a timely post. My husband's dear friend and co-worker was just diagnosed with shingles on his face yesterday - I never knew you could get them on your face! He has them in one of his tear ducts, too, and was told that he could lose his sight! Stephanie - thank you for the links you've posted. I am going to share them with his wife right away! Laurie, I've never heard of that, either, but I will definitely forward that information to her, too! Thank you! God bless you both - and all of those who are suffering with this! I pray everyone will be healed quickly! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3476 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3476 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  07:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Brenda
Try using melaleuca (tea tree) or eucalyptus essential oil. Gently apply oils around areas of redness. I hope this helps, shingles can be so painful.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you poor girl. I am scared to death of shingles. My mom had them several years ago and she was miserable. I do believe I am going to get the vacination. The more I hear about shingle, the more I want to get vacinated against it. I think it would be well worth it. A friend's husband had shingles and they got in his eyes. He is nearly blind now and has been bed riden for about 4 or so years now. Because of shingles. I DO NOT want to get it! I sure hope you are better soon. And in summer. That can't be helping either.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  02:39:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm just recovering from a bout with shingles and post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) that began in May of LAST year. I have never had anything so painful and debilitating in all my life. I'm thankful to be getting better even if it is ever so slowly.

An important FYI, the shingles vaccination is effective only about 51% of the time. That's according to the manufacturer. I think it's great to get the vaccine but also necessary to be aware that it's only effective in about half the people who get it. So thinking you can't have the shingles because you've been vaccinated is not true, I'm sorry to say. People need to be aware of that in the event they do come down with an outbreak of shingles so that they don't talk themselves out of seeing a doctor pronto just because they've been vaccinated. It's important to get medical help asap. That can sometimes head it off or at least shorten the misery.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  12:15:13 PM  Show Profile
From what I've read, tea tree oil helps dry shingles while thieves essential oil is good to combat the virus. I would also suggest boosting your immune system with herbs, if you have any... an echinacea tincture would be helpful, as would eating raw garlic minced on your food, and even taking garlicillin (capsuled garlic). A probiotic supplement may be helpful as would elderberry syrup. Zinc is also very powerful in boosting your immune system. Praying for all those affected by the virus! I personally have not endured it, but have had friends who have - these are the type things they did to recuperate.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  09:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Tea Tree oil is the best. And then you can also use Neems Oil...it is great too

now we are on our forever farm. God has blessed us.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Nature's Sunshine has a product galled VSC that is great for any viral type illness but it also works well for shingles. My nephew had a very bad case of shingles a couple of years ago and used that along with some kava kava to help with the pain. Tea tree and lavender both would be good to use tropically as well as a silver gel.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com

Edited by - rksmith on Sep 15 2013 6:40:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  7:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
my mother has developed shingles on top of the lung infection. would it be best touse the tea tree oil or lavender in a carrier oil of some kind?
Thanks

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2014 :  5:35:08 PM  Show Profile
I also developed the post-herpetic neuralgia after the shingles blisters cleared up. I was on strong pain meds which actually helped a lot, until December. After weaning off the pain meds, I am still experiencing mild pain (it is tolerable without treatment) occasionally. The pain doesn't happen every day, when it does it comes out of the blue and lasts for usually only a few minutes.

I initially saw the doctor before the blisters popped up. She tested me for cardiac problems, etc. (because it was chest pain) and when the results came back negative, she told me it was probably stress and psychosomatic illness. I went back the day after the blisters popped out, I thought it was a bad case of poison ivy - and she immediately recognized it as Shingles. One of the symptoms is pain that precedes the blisters, another is that the blisters wrap around one side of the body, following the path of the affected nerve. She said the earlier the treatment with the anti-viral meds, the less severe the outbreak, and the less chance of developing the PHN pain. Guess it was just my turn... Don't hesitate to visit the doctor when you suspect it might be shingles. With the meds, the illness was tolerable. When the pain meds wore off I was miserable, I can't imagine trying to live with this illness without them.

Her earlier diagnosis of stress was spot-on, I was having a lot of stress at work at the time. Stress is one of the triggers for shingles. So yoga, meditation, exercise and diet are probably as important as the vaccination for prevention.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jan 19 2014 5:37:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Shingles relief? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page