Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Rosie the Riveter: A Beloved American Icon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rosie the Riveter: A Beloved American Icon Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  6:05:31 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite - and America's most famous - icons has always been Rosie the Riveter. A familiar kindred spirit from first sight, over the years there have been many times when I've heard her unspoken encouragement whispering in my ear. I have especially felt her strength of conviction whenever people have told me things I've wanted to do "simply couldn't be done." Ha! Not so! If Rosie could do it, then surely so could I - there was no stopping either one of us when we set out to accomplish our missions! I am, after all, woman: Hear me roar! <Meooow... LOL!> Whenever I hear words designed to discourage and sway me from the path of my goals, my resolve becomes like Rosie's steely muscle, and my response always echoes hers: "I Can Do It!" And sure enough, our dear Rosie has always proven to be right. As Grandma always said, "You can do whatever you set your mind to do, with the help of God." To her blessed wisdom, I would only add, "And with Rosie's resolve and a Farmgirl's ingenuity!" ;)

This past weekend, my family and I had the privilege of visiting Pittsburgh’s wonderful Heinz History Museum. Imagine my thrill to turn a corner only to find my beloved friend Rosie there, with her curly locks tied back in her steadfast bandana, her tenacious bicep flexed with determination, and her glamorous yet resolute eyes proudly reaching out over her decisive chin to greet me with a long-awaited "Atta girl!" She took my breath away. (My son's, too - only he took pause thinking her pose meant something entirely different than "Yes We Can!" He thought it was more of an affront akin to telling one where he or she could go! LOL!)

Anyhow - The museum allows pictures to be taken, so I wanted to share the exhibit with all of you.

The plaque above reads as follows:

“Westinghouse artist J. Howard Miller created one of the most iconic images of female empowerment. In 1942, Miller used a photograph of a Michigan factory worker for his legendary poster showing a Westinghouse Electric worker rolling up her sleeves to lend muscle to the Allied war effort. The woman depicted in the famous poster, however, was not yet called ‘Rosie the Riveter.’ Rosie herself actually originated in 1943 when a popular American song by Redd Evans and John Jacob Loeb coined the name. Shortly thereafter, Norman Rockwell’s painting, ‘Rosie the Riveter,’published on the cover of the May 29, 1943, Saturday Evening Post, contributed to the mythical figure’s widespread popularity. Because of its wide distribution and powerful , aesthetic appeal Miller’s ‘We Can Do It’ and the name ‘Rosie the Riveter’eventually became one in the same.”

Pictures on the plaque include: (1) Women Working in the War Industries, 1944, in which women (one from Pittsburgh) posed in front of the B-29 in which they installed electrical components at Boeing Aircraft in Seattle, WA; (2) Welders at the Dravo Corporation, 1943, in which Pittsburgh women who “heeded Rosie the Riveter’s call… worked around the clock welding the hulls of naval ships;” and (3) a picture of a woman constructing glider wings at the Heinz Plant on Pittsburgh’s North Side during the War.

After doing a little research, I came across this link I thought you might enjoy at the Ford Motor Company which further expounds upon our beloved “Rosie:” http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/657-rosie-the-riveter

I am sure that many of you have amazing stories to share about the "Rosie the Riveters" in your circle of family and friends - please do share and post any pictures for all of us! These women’s heroic contributions to the war effort on the home front were beyond measure. Even more important, however, is the impact they have had on the role of women in the workplace today. We owe them a great debt of gratitude for having paved the way for all of us to become anything we desire to be! Truly, we must always honor their memory by ensuring their stories are told!

And as an aside – Meg, I still cherish the Rosie the Riveter tote you sent me back when I was Farmgirl of the Month… It took my breath away when I received it, and it does even moreso today! Thank you, again!

Always remember, girls: “We Can Do It! ” And thanks to the efforts of Rosie, today we can confidently echo in reply, “Yes We Can!”

Sharing high fives and hugs through history –

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  6:32:57 PM  Show Profile
It amazes me to this day how cohesive the Americans were during World War II. They came together, sacrificed, and got the job done. I don't think that could happen today. If anyone has an account of some one group of folks making the USA great (in today's world) I would be very interested to hear it.

Thank you for your contribution.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  6:51:26 PM  Show Profile
haha! I have to laugh at what your son thought it meant (Rosie showing her bicep)...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  04:12:42 AM  Show Profile
LOL! I know! But Grace - can't you just see where he got confused?! LOL! He was absolutely incredulous! After pointing out his error, we all had a good laugh, too! ;) Too funny...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  05:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, dear Betty... Perhaps right now cohesiveness does seem to be lacking in a big way in this country, but we sure do see so many caring people working together to improve our world on a much smaller scale. Think of small organic farmers or community garden projects in the inner city. Consider the people who deliver Meals On Wheels or who bring sunshine and happiness simply by visiting shut-ins. Remember the multitude of volunteers who rush to disaster areas to help restore hope to the suffering; or of all the individuals who respond with cards, letters and donations supporting those who have just experienced the unthinkable. Reflect upon the person who checks on his elderly neighbors when the blistering heat or bitter cold snow hits; upon the anonymous multitude who pray for the needs of those who are suffering or oppressed; and upon the church that lovingly reaches out to its community to provide meals and clothing to the homeless and poor. Celebrate the grandparents who help raise their grandchildren so their children can work to put food on the table and make a future for their family; and the grandchildren living miles away who delight their lonely grandparents' hearts with that weekly Sunday evening phone call. Contemplate the generosity of Secret Santas who are making a huge difference in the lives of hard-working families by unexpectedly paying off their holiday layaways. Remember the soldiers who have returned from war with missing limbs and have overcome severe impediments who are reaching out to the victims of the recent massacre in Boston and offering hope and support during their recovery. Think of the missionaries, perhaps the greatest unsung heroes of all, and the important work they are doing without even a thought of self. We see the spirit of goodwill in action through the hearts of mankind every single day; life-changers and light bearers can be found in every aspect and walk of American life - do not dismay! Through the lives of good souls we will always see God's light piercing the darkness; sometimes we just have to strain our eyes a little harder to see it. The most important thing to remember is that each and every one of us has that life-giving light within. Just as when struck a match has the ability to light many a candle, our own inner spark has the potential to set the world on fire. Making a difference simply starts by fanning the flame within! And when all else seems to fail, we can rest assured: There are always farmgirls! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 12 2013 05:29:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  11:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Nini, thank you for waking me up. I must have been looking on all the negative things I see. You gave me lots of positives. Thank you.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile
It's very easy to do in this day and age, my friend. It's very easy to do. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Thank you for sharing this! Love your photos. Wish I could have been there with you at that museum! Fun! I love exhibits like that. My niece in Texas just posted a photo of herself on July 4th, and I wanted her shoes! They were Rosie the Riveter shoes! I asked her about them. A lady hand-painted them in Roundtop, Texas. I want a pair!

Anyway, love this post. Thanks for sharing. You are awesome!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you Nini!!! Things are so very different, we live in a very selfish "me,me,me" society. It is rare when one helps another and patriotism is almost gone. Rosie is a good reminder and role model. And I too giggled when I read what your son thought :)

Oh, btw and totally off subject, Michael and I went for a drive Monday and came across Pumpkin-Hollow Road. I thought of you and said a prayer. We just needed to see the ginger :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile
nini-you have brought me pride to be a woman by the rosie info!(not even born til the mid 50's!) -the museum info is great! but the rest of your thread -your reply to betty- brought wonderful tears to my eyes!
thank you, farmsister friend!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoyed this! Thank you for sharing. Your way with words is obviously a craft you have honed over your lifetime. I don't know much about you ... do you write for publications and such?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2013 :  9:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for sharing..A wonderful example of proud and true..what a role model!

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  04:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Awww... thanks, girls! It all comes from the heart. :)

Margo - I truly believe we all have a little bit of Rosie in us! :)

Nicole - I would LOVE to see those boots! How cool! I bet they were awesome!!!

Sharon - Thank you! You are such a peach! I needed to know that today! :)

Marianne - I would LOVE to write professionally one day! It's funny you ask because my mother and I had a long conversation about this over the weekend, and she offered me some serious food for thought. We'll see! :)

Have a wonderful day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 15 2013 3:28:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Nini!
YES WE CAN . . . and with TRUE FARMGIRL GRIT!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile
YES WE CAN!!! Thanks, Nini, for this post. My Aunt, Bernie was a Rosie the Riveter and all the women in my family have had that "can do" spirit. This post is very timely for me as I embrace some changes that are coming my way and some very new territory with the pie business beginning.

Wanted to share "who" I went as for Halloween this past October--can you guess?
This is me in my kitchen!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks NINI. this is beautiful.. My Mom was a " Rosie" during the war at the Boeing Co. Here in Wichita.
She also taught me we girls CAN DO IT. I think that is where I got my farmgirl sprit. When someone tells me I can't I will break my neck to get it done for them.

GO FARMGIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  3:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Amen, CJ! Amen!!!

Joooonnnniiiii!!!! I loooove your costume! You are SOOO Rosie!!! That is AWESOME!!!! (If you ever need a "pie shoppe" pep talk, I'm here for you, girl - you CAN and WILL do it!!! I have every confidence in you! You GO girl!)

Well, Diana AND Jonni, we owe your Mom and Aunt Bernie a great debt of gratitude! That is so awesome!!! Do you have any pictures you can share? We'd love to see them!

Don't ever let anyone tell you it can't be done girls... THEY might not be able to do it, but we farmgirls can do ANYTHING!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 15 2013 5:53:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Take a page from Rosie's book and just go for it. You know you have much to say that would be appropriately published in MJF magazine. I enjoy your posts immensely. Both your point of view and choice of words. I know I am not alone.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Marianne, truly. You're such a peach! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  6:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Nini, thanks for sharing Rosie. And yes we can!

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  7:25:24 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Laurie!

Here is a link to a page at the Heinz History Center that has a couple more links that you all might be interested in. :) http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/secondary.aspx?id=164

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  8:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, here is my daughter, Robin . . . aka "Birdie", on our Road Trip in 2011. A farmgirl with "can do grit".
We've had many discussions about this "can do" attitude and what "grit" is.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! for the wonderful tribute to "Rosie!" My grand mother was a Rosie and was honored to be on the national monument is Washington D.C. She passed away the summer of the dedication ceremony so she did not get to attend, but was sent all the Wonderful Ceremony Papers, which included her service to the War effort. She helped assemble the famous "MEMPHIS BELLE" that was also made into a feature film. My mom has her Name tag from the Aircraft company and her employee paperwork in a shadow box. I would so love to own it someday! Sincerely Connie

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  08:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful stories. Thank you for sharing. Women always do more than their share when circumstances need it. I love being a woman.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Connie, what a great story about your grandmother! I would love to see that shadowbox and all the other great paraphernalia from her Rosie days! You always have the BEST family stories...I could listen to your stories for hours!

Jonni, your costume was perfect. That picure of you....you really got that costume down....and that vintage fabric in the background...love it!

Nini, thanks for sharing all the great information. We have a Rosie museum here in the SF Bay Area that I just found out about. The link is www.nps.gov/rori/index.htm
It is only about 30 minutes from my home and I can't wait to check it out! I saw a piece on one of our local news stations where they interviewed one of the docents. She was 92 years old, a former "Rosie" and she was still leading tours! I would love to have her as my tour leader!

Tammy

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  1:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I just love this thread. It inspired me today again, to go and look at a used appliance store when I felt totally priced out of fridge's at Lowes and Home Depot for the pie shop. It's just insanity what they charge for the basics.

I sent out feelers on facebook and got good responses and darn it if I didn't find one over lunch. Rosie was pushing me along!

Thanks Tammy and Nini about my costume...we always go to this concert on Halloween, my husband plays in the band and everyone dresses up. I really wasn't feelin' it (and darn, was it cold!) but at the last minute, I thought, "Hey, I've got all the makings of Rosie right at home, down to the wide leg dungarees! Those vintage curtains made the picture, I think :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rosie the Riveter: A Beloved American Icon Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page