True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  3:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I've started stir-frying cut up veggies
from the garden as they become available.
They turn out so good, but I was thinking
it would be nice to have a light sauce on them
like they do in the restaurants. I have been
adding a little tomato sauce and topping it with
whatever cheese I have. But I'd like to try something
different. Can anyone share their
ideas with me? thank you.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  4:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Jenne,

This is one is in my wheelhouse!

Does anyone remember "Yan Can Cook" with Martin Yan on PBS? I was lucky enough to meet him at a local Wegmans - the man is amazing. He taught me, by way to TV, to make a great sauce for stir-fried veggies. Side note: if you can picture this, he held a razor-sharp cleaver parallel to the cooking demo table against a red bell pepper as he rolled the pepper across said table. When he was done, he had one single paper-thin piece of pepper abut four or five feet long!

Back to the sauce. You need hoisin sauce, chicken broth and a little cornstarch. I usually add some apricot or peach preserves to balance out the salt.

The trick is to have everything ready before you even start cooking. You'll feel like a Food-Channel chef with your little prep/Pyrex bowls of stuff lined up. I use a measuring cup to mix a few teaspoons of hoisin sauce, 1/8 cup of chicken broth, a teaspoon of cornstarch. This sits next to the stovetop while I stir fry the veggies. When the veggies are close to being done, I hit them with 1/8-1/4 cup or so of chicken broth. Once the broth is heated, I spoon some of it into the measuring cup with the hoisin mixture - this is to heat up the cornstarch mixture so it doesn't "sieze". Stir the hot broth into the measuring cup mixture, then put the warm mixture in to the veggies as they finish cooking - maybe 45-60 seconds. Turn off the heat and add in the apricot or peach preserves, if you want. Stir well then pour into your serving dish.

These measurements are just a guideline - you want enough to make a sauce that is almost a glaze, but not so much as to make it soupy. If you add too much broth you can always cook it a little longer and let it reduce.

Depending on the veggies, a final accent of slivered, toasted almonds or chopped, roasted peanuts can be yummy.

Hoisin should be available in most grocery stores in the Asian/International food sections. Should be :)
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile
I like to mix GF soy sauce and GF teriyaki and a little water. Sometimes I get adventurous and do a thickened sauce with chicken broth, rice flour, and soy sauce (we're gluten free, in case you can't tell) and they both turn out good. I LOVE stir-fry. We have it at least once a week. It's gotten so bad that I almost never go out for Chinese anymore, since I prefer my own!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

Farmgirl #5076
I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  10:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good ideas. I am looking forward to trying them!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  10:41:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Cindy. I like to use hoisin sauce too. I do a mix of hoisin and soy sauce, and many times, I do add chicken broth with corn starch to make a nice little sauce.

I like to do a stir fry with chicken, green beans, onions, and hand-cracked black walnuts. Add the sauce and serve over rice (basmati is my fav) It's a pretty good supper. Another one of my favorite combos is pork, pear, onion, and celery. Sounds kind of weird, but it's good.

What are some of your favorite stir fry combinations?

Emily
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  07:41:21 AM  Show Profile
White sauce: Add garlic and fresh ginger to your stir-fry. Add some water thickened with a little cornstarch, and a tablespoon or so of toasted sesame oil. This is a really good sauce for snow peas from the garden.

Brown sauce: Instead of sesame oil, add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce and a shot of rice wine, white wine, or dry sherry. This is the classic "Beef & Broccoli" sauce.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I love and appreciate all the good ideas
keep them coming!
thank you.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for sharing the sauce recipes! Can't wait to try them.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sauce for stir-fried veggies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page