farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile
We've started grinding our own flour and although the coffee grinder is working for now, I know it won't last forever. I am looking for suggestions on what kind of grain mill to get. Most people I've asked on FB have said a Nutrimill. What kinds of things should I be looking for when choosing a mill? If I'm going to spend the money, I want to buy the right thing the first time. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Amy - I've been looking at the Wondermill Junior... I want a manually operated one, and I know that this one will not only process grains, but nuts, coffee, legumes and seeds - pretty much everything. I haven't purchased it yet because, like you, I want to get the right thing. I have read wonderful things about the Nutrimill, too, but it's electric. I think the most important thing we want to look for is performance, reliability and a mill that will process a variety of things. To me, sounds like both are great! What about the Nutrimill is catching your attention? I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  8:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I bought one about ten years ago. It is a KTec. I am not sure if they sell them anymore.
If you plan on grinding a lot of flour I would get an electric one. I have a manual as a back up but don't ever use it.
I have friends who have the Whisper Mill and are very happy with it. I have also heard good things about the Nutrimill.
At the time I got mine there were not many options and price was a factor. I was able to get mine for a very good price.
They are great to have.
I also have one for my Kitchen Aid that I started out with. It doesn't make great flour but I kept it because it can crack wheat and corn etc...

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  07:19:51 AM  Show Profile
I have had my Grain Master from Whisper Mill for about 17 years and have not had one problem with it yet. It is quiet and has a selector for the grains from coarse to fine. I purchased it from Lehmans.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 03 2013 07:23:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  10:35:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a manual Retsel Uni-Ark hand mill. It comes with stones and Burrs for two kinds of grinding. This device works very well and it will give your arm a work out depending on how hard the grain is.The company is McCammom, Idaho or www.RETSEL.com and 208-254-3737. It also comes in several colors and I chose a red one for fun.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I was at a friends house today and she told me she actually uses (and has used for quite awhile) a Mr. Coffee Burr grinder. $38. That's what she started with because she didn't have the money to put out for the "fancy ones" and she's been very happy with it. I didn't even know Mr. Coffee made a burr grinder!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  08:32:31 AM  Show Profile
I too have a Ketec grain mill. I was able to get mine by trading a pasturizer for the grain mill. We got it before Y2K but I think they ran around $200 dollars at the time and I think you can still buy them. I have been using it since then every week or two. I grind alot of wheat and its never had a problem and grinds it nice and fine but you can adjust it for coarser or cracking grain if you want.I have a grain mill attachment for our Kitchen Aid but it doesn't grind as fine as the Ketec does. We also have a hand grinder that was made here in the USA and it has a big flywheel on it. Its does a nice job but it takes awhile to grind the flour if you want it fine.Its does give your arm a good workout.Goodluck and hope you find a grainmill that works for you.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic grain mill? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page