Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Another Thrifty - Kid's Coats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Another Thrifty - Kid's Coats Next Topic  

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  8:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi there!

Well, it's almost wintertime and I started shopping for a coat for my almost-three-year-old. I should note that we live in Seattle, and we have a "maritime" climate (this means it rains from November to May). So the puffy winter coats sold in the stores really don't make a lot of sense for us, besides being ridiculously expensive. And they look shabby so fast!

So, I went to the fabric store and found LOADS of last-year's hot trend -- wool boucle on sale for $2.50 a yard (Jo-ann's had a 50% off their clearance fabric sale this past weekend). I think the whole boucle jacket craze was pretty silly on grownups, but it makes a gorgeously classic little girl's coat. I made it up with a polar fleece lining (leftover from another project) for warmth, buttons from my vintage "rescue" collection and it turned out STUNNING.

I'll try to post a picture sometime when I get one developed -- I know, I'm still using film -- can you believe it?

Anyway, the whole coat, including the cost of the leftover piece of fleece was under 5 dollars. I could have been even more frugal and cut down an existing coat I picked up at the thrift store, but I feel pretty good about how I did. The only problem is it's bound to get muddy and I'll be confronted with the problem of cleaning it!

Best,

Robin

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  9:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great, Robin - can't wait to see it! I love getting a bargain and making something myself - gives me such a 'high'!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile
It sounds lovely. What colors did you use? I remember making my daughter a fleece poncho when she was three. It was in a fleece o nsale at Walmart. She loved it. I passed it on to a friend's daughter, but never saw it again after that. I have not used the wool boucle for a project. Was it easy to sew? I saw a great woman's skirt made out of it with a fringed hem.

I think you did a wonderful job of making something beautiful and doing it frugally. I wish I had more time to create with needle and thread.

i can't wait to see the photo. Please post it when you get it developed and digitalized.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Robin!~!! Can't wait to see the photos!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile
That sounds adorable and I bet your little one looks adorable in it! You did great on the cost savings and being so creative with it-I bet the vintage buttons are perfect.

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that sounds real cute. i hope she lieks it too.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile
The boucle sews like a dream! It presses SO beautifully. I love natural fibers. The only problem is that the edges ravel quite easily on the lengthwise grain -- so I left some extra seam allowances. It's blue with green, purple, and different shades of blue threads running through.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  05:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, please post a photo if you can...I would love to see it! Sounds wonderful. I usually just get mine at the thrift store/garage sales etc.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Another Thrifty - Kid's Coats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page