Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 funniest thing someone said about your farm life?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic funniest thing someone said about your farm life? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  4:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Just curious, we've all heard crazy, funny, or insane things from people about the life we live. Let's share some of those things here. :)

The funniest thing I've heard recently was we had a "farm warming" at our farm so all our friends and relatives could come up and see our new place. (A year and a half after we moved in!) Anyhow, we served a big meal of homegrown pork, potato salad, baked beans, etc...

A relative found my husband and I after walking around the farm and said "Gosh, I just love all your little pigs! They're so cute! What do you do with them, anyway?"

My husband looked at her and said "Did you enjoy a pulled pork sandwich when you got here?"

The gal just looked at him, first with total confusion, and then this look of oh-my-goodness, for-real?? washed over her face. He and I could not laughing about it later. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  4:26:54 PM  Show Profile

Amy,

Trying to think of something personally that has happened to us...but your story is so cute. Your DH truly was ready for that question! LOL

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Funny Amy! I guess mine is "Do you keep your stallions in a cage" or when somebody thought my house was a hay barn, I guess it needed some attention, but yesterday someone asked if my daughters' cabin was a chicken house, cause some of the chickens were in the front yard. We said well no, my daughters live in there and she said well I thought it looked awfully nice for a chicken house with pretty curtains and everything. Or somebody asking "when I get there what will I see parked out front, like it matters cause it's the end of the road, I wanted to say UH a bunch of paint horses...lol. But the funniest has to be when people drive right by and go to the back of the place looking for our house. Usually a fed ex or direct tv person. Then they get stuck...I mean people sittin on the porch, how can you not know it's a house. Exactly WHAT are they looking for? I mean my little house and cabin aren't very big or fancy but they aint that bad. Maybe I should tell them to stop at the shack! lol. This is going to be fun hearing all the ladies experiences. Cool post.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  5:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Judy - you are right, he was ready. And I'm glad he thought of something to say, because I'm sure my jaw had hit the floor.

Laura - maybe we need to paint you a sign that says "This IS the house!" and "This is NOT the house" and you can just randomly stick them around your farm. ;) Cute stories!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  10:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't live on a farm, but here's a good story: This social worker from the city moves to Appalachia to "help" the poor folks. She's out walking and sees the smallest little shack she's ever seen. She goes up to the door and knocks. A little boy's voice inside says "Who's there?" She says her name and then asks if the boy's father is there. From inside the house, he says "Pa was here, but he done left."
So she asks if the boy's mother is there. He replies. "Ma was here but she done left too." So she asks if the three of them are ever together at home at the same time. A young voice replies,"Ma'am, this here's the outhouse!"
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  04:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Funny, Prairiehawk! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  1:36:44 PM  Show Profile
"those can't be "BULLS", they don't have horns", no they are not bulls, they are "COWS", thats why they have full udders, and calves at their sides, you don't drink THAT milk do you, after the baby has sucked on it, yes we do, thats disgusting, its contaminated now, your kids are gonna get "MAD COW" disease, I'm calling childrens services...2 days later childrens services show up, and demand to know why I would force my baby to suck on a cow teat for his milk...now I'm rolling on the ground laughing so hard I start chocking on my own spit, women informs me I am gonna loose my kids...I ask her nicely why would she think my infant would be suckling on a cow, a women called us and told us thats what you said, that your kids had to drink from the cow to get milk, I said the only cow that my babies suck on is me, as I whip out my udder and nurse my 3 month old daughter, it took another couple of hours to proof to her that my kids did not literaly get their milk from the cow...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  2:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Tina - oh my gosh - laughing SO hard! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Tina- that's a good one!

I think most of my funny comments are from my father-in-law. He just lives across the yard so he's over at our dairy farm every day. He knows enough to fool people that don't know anything, but to a true farmgirl he gets his wires crossed sometimes. One of my favorites is when my husband and I told him we found a farm we would like to look at to possibly buy in North Dakota. His reply was - you can't move to North Dakota- there's no trees there!! And just the other day he commented that one of our cows must be feeling better because "she's chewing her rumen".

My three year old niece was very disappointed when she realized the cow named chocolate didn't give chocolate milk and the red Holsteins don't give strawberry milk.

thanks for sharing the stories. Hope there's more!
Heather

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  08:25:29 AM  Show Profile
We live about 45 min outside of Kansas City, and work downtown as software developers and designers. Working in our environment, we have a mix of people from all around town, but coincidentally there are four people in my group who have horses/donkeys/mules/rabbits/chickens, etc. So, we chat a lot about hay and hooves and other misc farm life activities. There is also a fellow on our team who lives in an elite housing development in town and just doesn't get his hands dirty, but hires out all of his household maintenance work. One day during a conversation amongst the critter owners, this guy pipes up and says, "I have never worked with so many people who have farm animals! It is just weird!" I'm not sure what he meant by that, but I'd prefer to think that he didn't consider US weird!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  10:08:56 PM  Show Profile
we are known as the 'purple field people'.. because my Lavender field is at the front of our property... that's how people know who we are and where we live...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  12:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh my there are so many. One I think of right off the bat. I asked a lady if she wanted some fresh eggs and she said no she'd rather buy from the store because my eggs we 'too close' to the chickens. I guess she really didn't want to know where they came from. EGAD!!
Another time someone wondered how the Rooster fertilized the eggs. They thought the Rooster sprayed on the eggs after the Hen had laid them. Strange visual, right. I had to explain. LOL
MaryBeth after

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  12:41:43 PM  Show Profile
These are funny! Once my grandpa was asked if they canned their milk.....they had heard about milk cans and so they thought Grandma must put enough up for the winter.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  6:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Marybeth & Shirley... tooo funny!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

will2farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  11:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I live in a largely agricultural area but am nestled in between 3 large colleges. I was dreading the upcoming winter thinking of thawing pipes, trying to keep the manure spread, fighting the snow drifts to get to our feed to keep the cows fed, plowing out so the milk truck can get in and just trying to keep my hands and feet warm. So you can imagine the look on my face when a friend(a professor) at one of the above mentioned universities said to me "Well, you must be almost done since winter's coming huh"? Education shore ain't everything:)....I love all your stories gals!
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  10:36:11 AM  Show Profile
How 'bout my 8-year old (at the time) DD's response to helping clear our wooded lot to make space for our farming attempts? "Man, it's a lot more fun playing Laura Ingalls than being her." :)

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  3:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, LOL, out of the mouths of babes, kids will make a statement, and make me laugh everytime, even ones who are raised on the farm/ranch sometimes, love it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  5:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Our daughter was applying for educational grants. A gov't gal called wanting verify info and thought we were lying about being liget farmers. I told her over 90 percent of our income came from our farm. She implied there were not real farmers anymore. I said, "mam, we are part of the two percent that feeds the country". She was speechless. Who do they think grows all the wheat, corn, alfalfa, etc!!
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  10:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Kem - that's both funny and sad. Well, I guess with all the unreal food that's on the grocery store shelves, there must be a lot of "unreal" farmers out there.

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  3:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Too funny :)

My nephew was visiting. I was making eggs. He said he didn't want any, I asked why. He said because those eggs come from chickens! I asked what kind he liked, he said the ones from the store :)

My uncle was visiting and I was a little excited because I had a spider on me. He said that surprises me, you being a farm girl and all. I should be use to lots of bugs :)
I asked him why he thought I would have more spiders at my place than he did his? Living on a farm doesn't qualify me as a lover of bugs :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  3:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Another funny was when we were selling my daughters goat kids. We had one doe and one whether. The woman told me she didn't want the doe because she didn't want the milk. I told her she didn't have to have milk. She said well she is female, and she will eventually produce milk. Finally I realized that she didn't understand that the doe had to have babies before she would have milk. She just thought the does started producing milk because they were dairy goats. :) She was a sweet lady, she ended up buying them both when she realized she was safe from having a milker :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2013 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile
When I lived in Idaho we grocery shopped on a monthly basis in Boise, I lived up in a small mountain town. We are deer and elk hunters and thats all the meat we ate. I like knowing where it comes from and I butcher it so I know what goes into it. (nothng). Well when I shopped at the Winco there I always ended up with the same sweet clerk. One day she asked why I didn't buy meat there. I told here we hunted our meat. She looked at me and said "Oh my you are one of THOSE people that is soooo cool." It made me kinda proud. Yes I AM one of those people.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  06:08:56 AM  Show Profile
So I live near Orlando on the out skirts of Orlando in a smaller town named St. Cloud. I never go into Orlando shopping at the bigger malls much. But one day I went with some friends and I could not believe the amount of cars and people. It gave me an anxiety attack. I told them it would be a long time before I ever went back there. So one of my friends said's to me Dorinda you need to get out in the world more often there's more to life than growing a Tomato. I think I would much rather stay at home and grow my Tomato's. LoL.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  06:29:29 AM  Show Profile
"Does your Red Angus taste the same as Black Angus?"

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic funniest thing someone said about your farm life? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page