Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is everyone doing to celebrate July 4th?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is everyone doing to celebrate July 4th? Next Topic  

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  07:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering what activities everyone will be doing to celebrate the day of our Independence?

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I am hoping to load the kids in the camper and get away for the weekend. See something fun and relax. If we stay home, Hubby will just end up working in the garage. He needs a vacation.................

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile
we always have a big barbeque with family, friends and neighbors...games and contests for the kids, a whole lotta fun for all (most of us can't go anywhere due to illegal fireworks, which causes panic with the animals and of course the fire dangers), and we can see the fireworks at the fairgrounds from our property...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  1:51:53 PM  Show Profile
We got invited to a friend's house for a cookout. I am planning on making a tortellini cold salad to take. It will be a fun gathering!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  4:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay... so... I'm SO SO excited! My parents are coming in for the Fourth! We and our neighbors are planning a huge shindig for our friends and family - almost everyone will be there. Tons of food, swimming, a huge trampoline for the kids - it's going to be a blast! Then when night falls, out will come the sparklers. Our town doesn't do fireworks and a parade on the Fourth anymore - they save that for the end of the month for Community Days - but from our yards we can see all the fireworks from just about every surrounding community, and just about every neighbor sets off their own as well. My son and our neighbor each bought a huge collection of fireworks to set off - safely, of course! - and we'll be ooo-ing and ahh-ing to the lights while roasting extra large marshmallows and gnoshing on ooey-gooey S'mores. Even the dogs will be there celebrating with hot dogs of their own! SO much fun! Then throughout the long weekend, we'll be taking my parents to see a few historical sites with living re-enactments, as well as to the Arts and Heritage Festival at Twin Lakes and to a local winery for a wine-tasting, baked goods from their berry farm and a picnic complete with an open-air concert! I am so excited - I just cannot WAIT!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Good friends of ours have a place right here on Lake Erie we have been going there for about 20 years! I just heard that we have about 60 coming this year, thats a lot of potato salad I have to make!Have a happy one everyone! I hope the skies are blue for everyone that day!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile
You gals have big plans that sound like a blast.... I'm not sure what is in store for me...maybe a parade and I would really like to paint our bathroom...I'd rather be with you gals!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  8:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Lori, funny you mentioned painting your bathroom. That is what I will be doing. I would like to go see our local parade in the morning. We always go down to the high school to watch the fireworks at night.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile
My son and his family live down the hill from us. We are going there about 6:30 a.m. for breakfast. My son, grandson, and my son's father in law will be cooking. Biscuits, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, tortillas, salsa, home made jelly, and all sorts of sweets. Coffee and juices for drinks. They will be cooking in cast irons skillets and pots on top of coals and coals on top of the lids.
Yummy. They are the best outdoor cooks. All the family will be there.
Then off to a great niece's baby shower.
When it gets dark we will put the lawn chairs out in the yard. We live in the country. Lots of neighbor's shooting fireworks. Also, there will be two huge firework displays going on. Lots to see.
Thanks to all the service men and women past and present for their service so we can still celebrate our independence.
God Bless America!

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6585 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6585 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  09:37:14 AM  Show Profile
We are going to Denver to spend 4th of July with our Son and Friends. 4th of July is my favorite holiday and I love to celebrate and honor our country as well as the men and women who fight and fought for our freedom.
Have a beautiful, safe and fun 4th of July everyone.
Hugs,
Debbie

"There is nothing better than to end a bad day covered in dog slobber!"
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  10:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
First of all, pray for our country and be humbly grateful for those who have served our country!!

Drive to Rico, CO . . . a mining town about 35 miles up the Dolores River to see their little parade, enjoy their 'small, rural Colorado" celebration with fun in the park, firehouse bake sale, ladies group craft sale . . . and some COOL, COLORADO ROCKY MOUNTAIN AIR!!!

I'm sure there won't be fireworks there because of a fire ban and our extreme fire danger conditions . . . but we wouldn't be able to stay for them anyway. Gotta be home to take care of our Longhorns!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  11:03:12 AM  Show Profile
God Bless to all of our military past and present. So we can have our Independence. One of my daughters has to work, but usually the family comes over we swim and cookout and do fireworks since were out in the country. But we're in a burn ban. So we won't be doing that.It has been in the triple digits last week and will be hot this week to. But having family around is precious.
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3078 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3078 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
We will be having a cook-out with family and friends. We usually don't go watch fireworks anymore since we have to get up early and milk the cows.
Heather

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like busy and fun for everyone. :) We will stick around the farm (far away from any wild activity) and have a campfire. We have chicks hatching, and we always get excited for that!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  7:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Our family will be going to a Salt Lake Bees baseball game. We love the game and the fireworks show after the game.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  05:53:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm such a downer, honestly--work has been sucking the life out of me , I haven't been sleeping through the night, and with my only day off during the week, I feel (today,anyway) that I just want to stay at home with my little one and maybe grill out and do some sparklers. My husband has to work until 2, anyway. We've been invited to a cookout at a friend's house, but honestly, it's always so tense there that I never really enjoy myself or feel relaxed.
Sorry, I'm the Debbie-Downer today!!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
You are not a downer. Sounds like you already have the perfect day planned. Lazy day at home with your family. A cookout and your own fireworks. Your husband would probably love staying home after working part of the day. Yep, sounds like a perfect day in a secluded hideaway. Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  8:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Patsy you are not a downer Jonni. We are not doing anything. Staying home making Sloppy Joes and Chips and Sweets and be lazy. Sounds good to me. Even Sox
the Man Cat wants to be sleeping on the ottoman .LOL
Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile
It's just us three, me, dd, and DH but we are relaxing and celebrating. Made baroque ribs and lots of fixings, been relaxing on the porch, and in the garden a bit, and will be soon floating in the pool. Nice to be home together.

Jonni, sorry to hear works been so stressful. Big hug to you!,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  5:22:28 PM  Show Profile
We've had a great 4th. We did some projects this morning, then swam all afternoon. We just finished a delicious cookout and ate outside on our deck. I have skillet blueberry muffins cooking now and so are delicious!

I hope everyone had a great holiday too!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Jonni . . .Nope, you're not a "downer". We had a lovely day with an outing to celebrate in a small, mining town 35 miles up in the mountains. But, it's been a hard day for me in many ways so I understand stresses being there.
Sometimes we just have to take is easy and do what works best for us.
Hang in there!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2013 :  11:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for making me feel less "low", girls!...it was, by all accounts, a deluge here in Northern Kentucky. Just terrible. Sooooo much water!!! About 9:00 am, I turned on the pump in the basement and kept it on until about 4:30. Not ONE of our four dogs would go potty all day!!!!! On the 3rd, our boss kept us until 5:30 and I ran out of there so that I could get home and make burgers, corn on the cob and beans on the grill. Then Violet and I went to watch the city Fireworks because the prediction for the 4th was a total washout (they weren't foolin!) The fireworks were nice, we parked in the lot of a local ice cream parlor and I had a butterscotch malt while Violet ran around with some little girls from a few counties over. My husband had to get up at 5:30 am to be at work on the 4th, so we slept in until 6:30 (thanks, Elie the dog who knows how to open the nursery door with his nose and then "talks" and "grunts" with his face right in mine...) and so we got up. To rain, and rain, and rain. So I made a pot of coffee and we tried to get started. We ended up making homemade dog cookies so I didn't have to hear Violet say for the 400th time, "It's raining and I haven't anything to do!" She ate half the batter and then we gave half of the made cookies to the dogs. We ended up going to my inlaws for the night for ribs (and more rain :)) but it was a really nice time and I finally had some fun!!!! It sounds like everyone had an enjoyable holiday, no matter what you decided. I guess that's the joy of a day off!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  2:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Spending my time in Clarksville TN as that is where my son is stationed. It has been raining but so much fun spending time with my son and his wife. Hanging outdoor lights, new mailbox, shopping for wedding reception decorations to make, and even got 3 new bras....( hard to find my size in WI) Tuesday we go to Louisville to wedding dress shop. (They actually got married last October but big reception this coming October.) Then back to Wisconsin on Wednesday.

http://www.settlersparkmarket.com/
https://www.facebook.com/SettlersParkMarket
https://www.facebook.com/JourneystoHealth
Nana to almost 6
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
EVERY Fire and Rescue Vehicle of the Rico, Colorado Fire Dept. was decked out with these purple ribbon arrangements. Every fire dept. member was wearing a purple ribbon. When the color guard and all of the dept vehicle reached the center of town during the parade they all stopped, got out of their vehicles, and with hands over hearts we all participating in an AWESOME honor for our country and for the 19 Arizona firefighters. It was very moving!

Parade was great with lots of fun! And, just right for a small, Colorado mountain mining town!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 09 2013 1:05:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is everyone doing to celebrate July 4th? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page