Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Please Pray For Our Friends In The Western USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Please Pray For Our Friends In The Western USA Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  3:36:43 PM  Show Profile

An excessive heat warning (way up in the triple digits)is posted for some of the western states this weekend and next week.

Please keep everyone out there in your prayers.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Judy. Yes, indeed it is so dangerous. Most people do not realize that when they are exposed to a days heat, often in addition to being dehydrated their core body temperature doesn't return to normal and then day two sets in and so on and then suddenly heat stroke strikes. My 28 year old brother died of heat stroke when Los Angeles had a July heat wave in 1991. It doesn't take much for someone to become dehydrated. We had a blurb on our local news last night quoting an M.D. in town saying if you lick your lips and they are dry you are already 3% dehydrated. Most people just use the chapstick to correct it, not realizing they need to drink water. It is 110 in the shade at our house in Henderson, NV. This weekend they expect 117 degrees for three days in a row. Outside of Laughlin, NV and Death Valley I haven't seen temperatures like this for a long time. Yes, some 112 degrees here and there but not like this. Our kitty is going stir crazy pacing the house with boredom. She is so bored she doesn't even want to play with her favorite toys because she wants to go outside. I opened the door for her to feel the hair dryer effect and that it was hot, then she went and took a nap on her chair all dejected. My worry too is here we have so many tourist on the Las Vegas strip that are not acclimated to the desert heat, and they are in the pools in full sun with UV 12 (sunburn in less then 10 minutes) drinking alcohol. Oh the Emergency rooms will be filled for sure. They expect 325,000 people coming in for the 4 days holiday weekend. Oohhhh, that is just crazy, traffic, heat, crowds, doesn't sound fun to me. Thank you for the prayers. I am sure many areas are so worried about fires too. Yes, this will take Divine Intervention to oversee many people's ignorance and being unprepared. Stayin' indoors, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, indeed!!! I will be keeping all in my prayers...the heat can be so dangerous!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Praying for all of you in that heat also. Hope you cool down soon.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7629 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7629 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  6:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I certainly will be praying for all in the hot areas, I live up in North west California and it was in the 80's here and that is hot for a place that is used to 60's year round. We don't have that aweful 3 digit heat thank goodness,
Stay cool out there drink plenty of liquids, and don't over do.
prayers.
love
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  9:10:46 PM  Show Profile
I will definitely be praying, too. Annie - thank you for sharing these insights and concerns with us. They will definitely help direct my prayers. You, your kitty, and your loved ones, especially, will be in my thoughts and prayers. And I am so, so sorry for your loss of your brother. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile

Thanks girls for your prayers. Annie thanks for all the information you posted. I am so sorry to hear about your brother also. I could not imagine it being that hot. I know we have had triple digit temperatures here before too...but it didn't stick around long or get that miserably hot. Please take care of your family and your pets. Please keep us posted of how things are going.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  5:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Yep, here in the Portland area we are supposed to get near the triple digits over the next couple of days. Many out here do not have A/C so it can get quite dangerous. We'll be checking on our elderly neighbors a bit and since we do have A/C (we rarely use it), we'll be turning it on and putting out an invite to people who don't. I really don't like hot!!!!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  7:57:32 PM  Show Profile

Wendy,

How kind and thoughtful of you to open your home to those less fortunate. I know you will be blessed.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  5:08:30 PM  Show Profile
raying that things cool down. Mother Nature has really been sending messages in the past few years, and I pray that we are listening!
Annie- I am sorry for the loss of your brother, and thank you for the helpful information that you gave, as I am sure it will come in handy.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  12:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you sisters for expressing your sympathy about my brother's death due to heat stroke in 1991. He did come to me in a dream while I was grieving his loss still 5 years later. He told me not to be sad any longer, that he was enjoying singing in the Heavenly Choir. He told me that when you sing in heaven the frequencies of the musical notes make the flowers and plants in the heavenly gardens light up with colors. He showed me how it worked. Really cool! (Think Avatar Movie) I know there is some science behind this we know of today i.e. sound therapy, color spectrum, etc. so I do believe my dream to be an authentic message from my brother as it was very in-depth and technical. It was great to know he was joyful and the heavenly choir singing is amazing! (No, I am not suffering from heat stroke :-) The most important thing I learned about heat stroke is that it is so important for our core body temperature to remain normal. The danger of this heat wave is that each day adds to the stress of the day before. So swimming in the evening, or taking a cool shower can help cool the body. We did have one death so far from the heat wave in Las Vegas. Drinking water is the primary medium used to get rid of excess heat (as in sweating). Here we have so little humidity that sweat evaporates so quickly, one doesn't realize how much water they have lost. In the desert one can lose 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 quarts of sweat per hour. After a loss of two quarts one can begin to become impaired, beginning to stumble, unable to concentrate, and develop headaches. Excessive loss of salt from the body can cause dizziness, vomiting, weakness, rapid pulse rate and breathing. This is heat exhaustion. Heat cramps is because of excessive loss of water and salt. Severe cramps in limbs, back and abdomen following exposure to heat. Body temperature remains normal. Heat stroke is the collapse of body cooling mechanism. Symptoms are hot, dry skin. Headache, mental confusion, bizarre behavior, dizziness, weakness, and rapid breathing and pulse. Temperature is high (106 degrees or more). The person may be unconscious. I have an interesting Army book on desert survival and in it explains with no walking at all in 110 degrees, with 2 quarts of water, a person will only live 3.5 days. With no walking and no water at 120 degrees a person will only live 2 days. Many maneuvers take place at night to conserve water needs for the troops and to give them a edge for survival. Drink your water while it is colder is another tip given. So interesting and such vital information. Take care now. Annie (who for the time being is firmly planted on earth and enjoying its many wonders).

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  11:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear, now we are finding some dead birds in our yard from the heat! Poor little souls. :-) Annie

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  1:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Please pray for relief for the west! We are just sooooo desperate for rain and cooler temperatures . . . and it would be extra special if the rain came soon and without lightning!

I read the posts of those who are getting lots of rain . . . makes me thirsty just thinking about it!
Thanks girls!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  4:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I too hope that the west gets rain real soon. I cannot imagine how dry it is there, since we are usually always well watered here.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  6:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ, I hope that you get the rain that you so desperately need! I'm doing a rain dance over here in New York for you! We have been threatened with the "chance of rain/thunderstorms" for days now, yet nothing comes. Things are starting to really dry out here too!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Please Pray For Our Friends In The Western USA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page