Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Red-Flannel Hash and Shoo-Fly Pie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Red-Flannel Hash and Shoo-Fly Pie Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile
OH MY! i found the most devine book at a 'used book store' in Berea, KY .. with the above title .. written by LILA PERL .. "American Regional Foods and Festivals" ... such a fun and interesting read .. i will give some 'quotes' now and then in this 'thread'. Copyright: 1965.

The front cover jacket reads, in part: "As richly varied as America itself are its regional foods and cooking customs. Festivals and folkways, history and traditions, differing national origins, as well as a wide range of conditions of climate and geography all have added to this country's vast range of special foods and cooking patterns.

History and stories of 'food' from New England .. The Middle Atlantic States .. The South .. The Midwest and the Great Plains .. The Southwest .. The West .. Alaska and Hawaii.

i am LOVING this book . i think it is my most fav i have read on the history of food!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Part of the INTRODUCTION reads: "This book tells the story of what Americans eat, and why. To tell this story, it reaches back four hundred years into the history of the United States."

There are a few recipes included at the end of each chapter.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  3:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Frannie- Your topic jumped right out at me- Red Flannel Hash was my grandfather's favorite thing to eat on Saturday mornings!! I can still picture him sitting in the breakfast nook, reading the morning paper and poking his head around to take a big bite of hash and egg. Thanks for helping to conjure that picture up. I haven't thought about that in forever.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  4:50:40 PM  Show Profile
according to this book .. the 'story' of RED FLANNEL HASH:

"Corned beef is responsible for the New England boiled dinner, a regional dish so ppular that it was eaten at least twice a week during the winter months when no fresh meat was to be had.

For a boiled dinner the corned beef was cooked in a great kettle of water with whatever root vegetables had been stored form the summer's harves ... potatoes, turnips, onions, cabbage, carrots, parsnips .. all flavored with the spiciness and salty tang of the meat. BOILED BEETS were also served with the dinner, but therse were cooked separatyely so as not to stain the foods they came into contact with.

Horseradish, mustard, and pickles were served with the meat and vegetables, and of course, there would be corn bread.

The next day, the leftovers were chopped and fried all together in salt-por krippings in a heavy skillet. They were served up as RED-FLANNEL HASH, a crusty, well browned, and garnished with salt pork crackoings. The inclusion of the chopped beets in the hash gave it its rosy hue, the soft color of "red flannel".

And .. that's the 'story of it'! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
if you have a 'region' that you are curious about .. or maybe a 'dish' you've heard of .. let me know .. and i'll see if i can find it in this book .. easier if you can give me a 'region' where it might be from .. (see the listings above).

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh Miz Frannie..I have looked for years for a recipe from Arkansas/Mississippi area that was a pickled green tomatoe recipe served slightly warm the tomatoes had a sweet/ slightly hot flavor..they were not pureed, they were not chopped, they were sliced/ and quartered pieces of green tomato in a sauce served in a bowl with a fish dinner..I have never been able to find the recipe.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Oct 23 2006 6:27:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  05:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, it's impossible to find corned beef in our area! I guess if I want it, I should try the butcher shop I go to sometimes that's 25 miles north of me. I had lots of red flannel hash when I was a kid. I loved it!

Tina, my aunt from Alabama used to put chunked green tomatoes in with a loooong pointy hot pepper in a jar, and pour a hot sugar and cider vinegar syrup over the top, then process. I seem to remember some chunks of onions too. Could you experiment with some pint jars?
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  05:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

Thanks for sharing that! We eat a lot of New England Boiled Dinners in the winter, and we love corned beef hash for breakfast with a couple of poached eggs on top.

Once again, I learned something from Farmgirl Connection! How dumb was I (obviously never grew up with Red Flannel Hash) so I did not even know the two were related! A wonderful way to use up the leftovers (and why is there always more potatoes and carrots than corned beff leftover???) AND make a more healthy version of the corned beef hash. Has anyone experimented with canning/freezing the hash in individual meal portions for other meals?
I always try to cook once, and eat twice or even thrice!

Jo
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Red-Flannel Hash and Shoo-Fly Pie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page