Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Positive thoughts worked! Update 9/16/13
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Positive thoughts worked! Update 9/16/13 Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  1:08:01 PM  Show Profile
I have a job interview on Monday. I know, I already have a job, but I am over this place and have been for quite some time. I need a change. This particular job is only 7 miles from our farm instead of 53. I've sent out several resumes lately and so far this is the only place that has called. I guess if it is meant to be, it will be.

Thank you!

I had my second interview yesterday, 6/17/2013. It lasted for 45 minutes. I had the inviewer cracking up. He asked what I would say to make me stand out while they were reviewing and deciding. I said " I'm the lady who's not afraid to tie on an apron and get my hands dirty!" He started chuckling and couldn't stop. He told me he would let me know this week. He called this morning and offered me the job - and you bet your boots I accepted! Wooooo Hooooo! I start July 8! More pay, better hours and benefits!

********How's about this. My soon to be ex boss was talking about keeping his flea market booths stocked with jewelry and coin collecting supplies. He said he didn't know how he was going to do that and work in his stores. He had thought about having his mother take over the jewelry pricing part, but knew in his heart she would screw it up.(his words) He also said he really liked the way I did things so asked me today if I would be interested in keeping up the booths for him part time - whenever I felt like it. He would pay me hourly and mileage to come in the Indianapolis store, price the stuff and then take it to the 3 different flea markets. It would only be a couple of times per month on the weekends.

Just an update in case anyone was wondering. It's been a rough couple of months. I had a very long heart to heart with my supervisor and the plant manager. I told them I wasn't staying and I left the ethanol plant. I just couldn't stand it anymore.
I am now working 2 jobs (coin shop and Gordon Food Service). Coin shop boss fired another employee for theft and called me Sunday asking me to come back because he knows he can trust me not to steal from him. I can work as many hours as I want or don't want. He's also letting me stay in the Anderson store because it is so much closer to my home. I appreciate any and all good thoughts and prayers that came my way during this time while I figured out what I wanted to do.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Sep 16 2013 12:50:22 PM

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  2:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lora,
Good for you to keep trying to improve your life. I hope you are successful in landing the job. It is often a challenge to change things, but we must listen to what is nagging us to pursue another direction. I learned years ago when I was a passenger in a car accident, that we must spend our days doing what it is we enjoy. As I laid in the hospital (I had died but they revived me) I asked myself how I had spent what would have been my last day on earth. When I realized I had cleaned house, did the dishes, and gone to a job I didn't like I decided it was time to change that. Yes, I keep house but don't put the perfectionism into like I used to. Everyday I try to do something enjoyable even if it is a simple walk to look at the flowers and birds and take time to reflect on earth's beauty. I did find other work that was rewarding. Good Luck ("Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting up with being prepared") Thinking of you! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  3:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Lora,
Sending every positive thought and prayer your way. I believe I understand the boat you are in right now- I think I'm sitting right next to you. Wishing you the best. Please keep us posted!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Sending good thoughts and prayers your way! Good luck!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  07:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! Annie - OMG! Glad you came back! I feel really positive about this opportunity. My neighbor knows the GM and some of the other management. Said he put in a good word for me. Keeping my fingers crossed. I've been reviewing some YouTube videos of company functions - seeing how people act and dress. I am going to study up on their business principles so I can at least look like I know something! lol

The office folks wear black polo-style shirts and khaki pants - thinking about wearing something close to that to the interview so it looks like I already work there - reverse psychology - what do you think? I don't want to overdress and appear to girly - it's a mostly male environment and a lot of farmers.

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  10:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Lora, I hear your excitement and commitment and am happy for this opportunity for you. I have a feeling that you will be just fine but will be saying prayers for you too. Please let us know how it goes. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7629 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7629 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  10:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Lora I think you will do well at the interview, I am sending bit prayers your way to get that job.
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile
I think I did pretty well at the interview. I am moving on the 2nd round. There weren't very many applicants so I am hoping that's a good sign. Thanks for all the positive thoughts. I think they helped!

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  07:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Lora,
CONGRATS!!!!! A farm girl is ALWAYS the best person for the job.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile
We're still in your court. Keep up the good work and let us know when its official.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile
YeeHaaaw!! Way to go Lora!!! Congrats!! I am trilled to pieces for you!! Your news just made my day!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  10:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! Well, I told my boss today, too. I cried a little. But the good news is he said since I told him to his face before I told any other employees and that I was such a good employee, that if things don't work out, I am welcome to come back. That's a relief. I truly thought he was going to be very angry.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Superb! Congratulations.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7629 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7629 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lora I am so excited for you, You are going to do well there.
My prayers continue for you until you start your new job.
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Way to Go Lora!!!
I am so happy for you. Enjoy your new position.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  4:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lora, what wonderful news! So happy for you. What a nice ex-boss to give you a back up plan, even if you don't need it. So glad things are working out for you and please keep us posted once you get to the new job. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Way to go, Lora! I'm happy for you. Sounds like you handled your interview and exit interview in an excellent manner.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Wahooooo! Yes! So happy for you Lora- that is just awesome!
Sounds like this guy knows a good employee when he sees one!
Congratulations girlfriend!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2013 :  07:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Yay! Way to go, Farmgirl!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile
So excited to start at the new job.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  4:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Remember how excited I was to get this new job? Well, sadly, I hate it! It isn't what I thought it would be. There is so much technical stuff that I haven't a clue about. I am giving my all, but it just isn't going to work. I will be job shopping again soon.

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Lora,
You haven't even been there a full week. Give yourself and the job a chance. You were hired because someone believed you could do it. Once you have figured it out you may even enjoy it.
My son just started a job and the boss told him it could take a long time to get really proficient with it, but they hired him because he works hard and is willing to put in the time and effort.
Your old boss gave you the option to go back so that is a safety net, BUT you wanted out of there,remember?
Praying for whatever is best for you!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  7:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cindy, but I've been here 3 weeks. I started here July 8. The so called training was nil. I haven't had a lunch break in 3 weeks. I tried to eat at my desk today, but it was useless as the trucks just kept coming in and going out. My boss tells me to pick up the pace in one breath then tells me to pace myself in the next. There are no guidelines or directives to follow if I get stuck on something, then if I mess up, he gets mad. This boss started out all nice and 'helpful' then two days into it he threw me in the deep end and its sink or swim - right now I am just barely treading water. He tells me to not be super girl and to ask for help - then when I ask for help - he tells me I need to figure out how to get caught up on my own. WHAT? Then I try to get caught up on my own and it's back to don't be afraid to ask for help. HELLO! I really thought I would like it - being around farmers and what not, but I really don't like the job. The farmers have all been pretty nice. One even gave me a candy bar today because he thought it looked like I was having a rough day. There are a few that have less personality than the corn they are hauling, but everywhere has people like that.

I have to wear steel toed shoes that make my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk. I am going to get some new insoles, but my chiropractor doesn't think they will help. He said its probably the surfaces I am walking on - switching from a rubber mat to tile floors all day 8-10 hours per day. I am also having trouble with my knee. It swells up so much it looks like a baby watermelon. It just about gave out today.
Believe me when I say I really wanted to like this job - good pay, decent hours and benefits - something that is very rare these days. What good is all that if all I do on the way home is cry? There are many times during the day I have to fight tears - God forbid I let loose in front of these farmers. Would never hear the end of it.
I don't want to go back to the coin shop full time. I am just going to keep it part time on weekends. He is downsizing anyway since he just fired an employee last week for theft. Made him so upset because the guy was a retired police officer! I haven't told him how I feel about this job.

Oh - and get this - He (the boss) says that when ethanol drivers come inside to check in or check out - I am supposed to just make them wait until I am damn good and ready to help them. He thinks they have all the time in the world to wait. I am sorry, but their time is just a valuable as a corn truck driver. They have a run to do and a limited amount of time to do it - think log book. They can only drive for 11 hours and be on duty for 14 hours. Some of these drivers have to drive back and forth from Michigan to Central Indiana a couple of time per day. The time they spend standing at my counter waiting is time they could be driving. I get it. He doesn't. I think it is disrespectful of him to treat them this way. I get that farmers need to get the corn out of the bins before harvest, but why is their time more important than any other driver?

Something else that bothers me the way he treats corn truck driver's equipment. We use a hydraulic probe to take samples of the corn from the trailers. The probe is a giant piece of steel tubing that swings on a huge arm that goes up, down, in and out via controller in the scale house. I try to be as careful as I can to not hit the bottom (could poke a hole), sides (causes dents) and bows (part that hold the canvas covers off the corn)as this probe can bend or break the bows like a twig. Not him - he lets the probe slam into the sides, bounce off straps, smack the bows, and ram the bottoms. I asked if he has ever poked a hole in a trailer - he nodded and said the company pays for it. I have looked inside some of the trailers as they pass under the camera - there are dents and dings all over the place - looks like a ball peen hammer went nuts in there!

Now granted most corn grown in the US is GMO - I don't like it, but I deal with it. I found out that an ingredient they use in the fermentation process is also GMO. Here's the kicker - they market the distillers grain (left overs from the fermentation process) as super nutritious animal feed! 2 GMO ingredients going into the animals that will eventually be on someone's dinner table! I am having a really really hard time dealing with this! I have been fighting the world's largest GMO producers for several years and now I work for company that wholeheartedly supports them! Have I a become a hypocrite?! Good Lord I hope not! I still want to get GMO's banned in the US. Maybe this is why I cry every evening on the way home. I don't know. I am so confused right now. I know I have to find something else.

Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Positive thoughts worked! Update 9/16/13 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page