FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile
We had some severe weather blow through the area last night. We had left the house about an hour before to go pick up the haflinger mare we adopted. On the way back home, we saw tree debris on the roads and in the fields. The closer we got to the house the more debris we saw. There were large trees down on homes and scattered all over lawns. It was a sight. We stopped to check on some neighbors then continued on. When we arrived at our place, the only thing that looked out of place was a large limb in the yard. I unloaded the mare and headed for the barn. I realized, upon entering the barn, that it seemed lighter than it should have. I looked up and saw that a tree had fallen on the northwest corner and smashed through the roof! Also in the center of the barn roof was a slit in the metal like someone had stabbed it with a knife. I am still in disbelief.

The little airport down the road was trashed - the hanger is missing 2/3 of the roof. About a mile from us a barn lost the entire backside. In town - huge trees fell near a car lot. I don't know how much further west the damage was, but from the car lot the interstate is about 6.5 miles - trees down and damage all the way in between. NWS says no tornado - straight line winds. Wow.

My other two horses were still out in the field, soaking wet. Amigo, the paint, had a small cut on his face and the mini was just mad that she was wet. I had my neighbor who is studying to be a vet look at it - she said it was just a scratch. I put some ointment on it and put both in the barn.

Universe - I am asking - no, PLEADING with you to please cut me a break.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  11:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lora, it is hard to understand why a storm can be so severe and cause so much damage. Thank God all are safe. I do hope that is the last piece of hardship you have to encounter this year. Be safe, my friend!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  12:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Sorry that you had some damage but thank GOD that no one or no animals were hurt seriously.
Stay safe!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  1:03:44 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful nobody was hurt. I think Amigo might have gotten hit with a stick because it was just a tiny scrape.

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  1:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about your barn ... Glad it did not hurt your home.
St.lines winds are almost as bad ... will push a house off of it's foundation here in KY.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  2:20:19 PM  Show Profile
I believe it, Teri. We lost 4 trees total. I think we are going to cut down all the trees in a 60 foot radius around the barn. Since the barn sits right at the edge of a woods - that's going to be a LOT of trees. I hate to do it, but I can't keep repairing things like that! It just gets too darn expensive - and we are going to try not to file a claim on it with insurance since we just had a claim in March for a truck and the then again in 2011 for the house.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile
In our area ... they are really bad ... I remember once trying
to get in the door of our house and being pushed backwards ...a dozen times and then crawling to the door ... very scarey!
We have no trees around our house and barns ... only on the perimeter of the property, on the fence line for shade for the animals.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  11:49:14 PM  Show Profile
it was bad in our area too, same thing we were gone & when we came back the road was closed. Our property is fine, but several neighbors in the area lost trees & had some bad damage. You mentioned the airport, we are about 5 miles directly west of there so it sounds like it was a direct path of wind & damage. Crazy too, it sounds like it all came out of no where!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Crazy - My chiro txted me today and said he thinks his office got struck by lightning. He turned his xray processor machine and it caught fire! Nobody got hurt but his office filled with that nasty electrical/melting plastic smell.

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Lora,
My goodness girl you have been been hit hard it sounds. I Thank God no people or animals were seriously hurt. I hate to hear you need to cut down trees, but I agree it is best. Stay safe, hugs.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  1:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kelly - I agree - I hate to cut down the trees - they're one reason we bought the place, but I am going to try to figure out another place to maybe plant some new ones AWAY from any structures. I am thinking of planting a few fruit trees, also.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  12:53:31 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like what we had come through our part of Ohio last June. It uprooted many trees, tore shingles off everyone's roof, and sent debris flying everywhere. We had a stick about as big as 2 of my fingers sticking out of our house roof. I had some bell peppers in pots - the wind took the pots, but left the peppers. I never did find the pots. Luckily no one was hurt and our cows were just scared, but we were without power for 4 days and some people were without for a week. It was the strangest thing I've ever experienced weather wise. I forget what the weather channel said it was, but hopefully it's the closest thing to a tornado I'll ever experience. Thank God you and your animals are safe. I highly recommend the fruit tree idea. I canned some peaches last year from my in-laws trees and they were amazing!

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  05:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Lora, We had a similar thing happen at our home years ago. I was
on the phone and watched as a neighbor's covered porch went flying down the
road! Large sturdy trees were cut off near the base about a mile away.
We had never heard of anything like that before and it was in a very
isolated area.
I am so glad the injuries were not major, but sorry for the damage you
suffered. Hang in there.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

JaneMarie
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jane
Camarillo CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  9:11:08 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your troubles, Lora. What can we do to help??
quote:
Originally posted by FARMALLChick

We had some severe weather blow through the area last night. We had left the house about an hour before to go pick up the haflinger mare we adopted. On the way back home, we saw tree debris on the roads and in the fields. The closer we got to the house the more debris we saw. There were large trees down on homes and scattered all over lawns. It was a sight. We stopped to check on some neighbors then continued on. When we arrived at our place, the only thing that looked out of place was a large limb in the yard. I unloaded the mare and headed for the barn. I realized, upon entering the barn, that it seemed lighter than it should have. I looked up and saw that a tree had fallen on the northwest corner and smashed through the roof! Also in the center of the barn roof was a slit in the metal like someone had stabbed it with a knife. I am still in disbelief.

The little airport down the road was trashed - the hanger is missing 2/3 of the roof. About a mile from us a barn lost the entire backside. In town - huge trees fell near a car lot. I don't know how much further west the damage was, but from the car lot the interstate is about 6.5 miles - trees down and damage all the way in between. NWS says no tornado - straight line winds. Wow.

My other two horses were still out in the field, soaking wet. Amigo, the paint, had a small cut on his face and the mini was just mad that she was wet. I had my neighbor who is studying to be a vet look at it - she said it was just a scratch. I put some ointment on it and put both in the barn.

Universe - I am asking - no, PLEADING with you to please cut me a break.

Home is where your heart is.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  07:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jane. Just letting me vent helps tremendously. It helps, too, knowing that I am NOT the only one who has gone through whatever troubles are in front of me. Sometimes I read through what other farmgirls are dealing with and tell myself "Suck it up - your problems are nothing compared to what so-n-so is going through right now." Keeps things in perspective. Thanks for listening! Hugs to all the farmgirls!

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Dealt another blow... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page