Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Can't get these girls to roost!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Can't get these girls to roost! Next Topic  

RoddyFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jennifer
Huger SC
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  8:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,
I have four 12-13 week old pullets that I cannot get to roost. We have closed the nest boxes off as they were sleeping in there. I went to check on them after dark and they were all huddled together on the floor of the coop. I tried picking up who I could get a hold of to put on on of our roosting poles. I put her up there and by the time I had closed the door- she jumped down. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Jennifer

City girl adjusting to homesteading in the Country

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  07:14:54 AM  Show Profile
My opinion is they are on the young side to roost, and another thing is how high up is your roost, and what is the diameter of roost...it could be up too high for their comfort or the roost might be to small or to big, diameter wise...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  09:47:34 AM  Show Profile
i have always gone on the thought of they do not roost well. they actually can get breast blisters from rubbing on the roost. maybe a floor one. up say 6 inches may work. but my meat birds do not roost well. jmho happy days and eats for you

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  09:48:50 AM  Show Profile
well for some reason i was thinking these were meat birds. if laying hens then bitty hen is right on. maybe too young yet.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  10:06:37 AM  Show Profile
My hubby built a little mini roost for my chicks to learn on. It is about 3 ft tall at the top and the bottom board is about 6 inches off the ground. About 4 boards in all. We use slatted pallets and narrow boards about 4 " wide, flat wide side up for our roosts quite often. The chickens seem to like them. It gives stability to younger chickens. However we have put the mini roost under the bigger roosts, even the ones that are round sticklike. They sort of use the mini roost as a training roost and it's not long before they all roost on the bigger roost.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Can't get these girls to roost! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page