True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I am so delighted my daylilies are beginning to bloom. I am in the desert so I use above ground pots for planting. I have attached three photos for you to see. It is just so fun to see something other than landscaping gravel and rocks and cactus. A bit of color is very exciting! Enjoy, Annie

Victorian Princess Daylily

Brigade Daylily

Earl of Warwick Daylily

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  5:22:38 PM  Show Profile
Love daylillies! Mine are all in bud right now, will have waves of yellows, oranges abd reds soon.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, really beautiful! The daylilies don't bloom here until it is almost July. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  7:39:33 PM  Show Profile
I have been checking mine but no buds yet, they should be coming in any time. Mine are all orange but the flowers are double.

Yours are such beautiful colors, thanks for sharing!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Lovely blooms to break up the monotony of the desert! 'Earl of Warwick' is one of my favorite reds. I maintain a property at work with some large masses of daylilies and they have just started to bloom in the past week or so near Seattle.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  11:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Annie...So B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  05:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Just lovely looking flowers. Blessed are you to get to wake up to all that beauty each day. Wish I could grow more but too many deer.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  07:18:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm a bit jealous! They mostly bloom in July around here. I'd like to share about a local home-spun business. Garfield Gardens, which is just a few miles from us, was started somewhere around 10 years ago by a young teenager who wanted to earn money for college. Their website is alldaylilies.com The pictures are wonderful, click on one at a time to enlarge them.

He has now graduated and passed the business on to his younger brother and sister. They started with a few varieties and now have over 150! Prices run from $2.95 to some really unique that are around $40. They send out mail orders from May to Mid-September but are only open to the public in the month of July. Peak bloom time is Mid-July. Driving past their place, or stopping in is amazing at that time of year! They are even developing their own unique varieties in the last couple of years.
If you love day lilies this is the place to check out. You can stroll up and down the rows and see them in their full glory.
If you go directly to the source, they grab a shovel and take the plants you want out of the ground then and there. So fresh and healthy, all we have bought have survived and thrived. And they are generous. One plant often turns out to be 2 or 3 when you get to transplanting it.
No, I'm not an advertiser but if you love daylilies, check this out.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  08:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Susan for the information. I enjoy supporting family run business. I bought the ones now blooming from Oakes Daylilies in Corryton, TN and they have a similar set-up, but I like to share the business with others and will do so.
:-) Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile
annie-beautiful! the orange is so vibrant! maybe the sunshine hitting it perfectlt?! this year i have planted to wdaylilies- yellow ones- my first- on eieth side of my front door with purple and yellow violas and purple petunias- i'll try to snap a pic when i get everything blooming!

here in northern ohio we have beautiful orange what i call tiger lilies that grow along the roadsides- i just love them - i think they bloom more in summer- maybe july? and in wetter areas...

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Daylilies in Bloom (Photos) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page