Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Changing your Life Forever: The Start of a Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Changing your Life Forever: The Start of a Farm Next Topic  

rosenrel
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Denise
Marengo IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile

Myfamiliy lived on our 11 acres of land, in rural Wisconsin, for over 3 years. During this time we built chicken coops, learned to care for pasture-raised chickens, dabbled in goats, but more importantly this is when we started to see who we were as stuards to this earth, and what kind of farmers we were meant to be. This is the beginning of my story as a farmgirl:

September/2009

The four of us live in a 27 foot travel trailer with an illegally attached porch (which is a whole story in itself), so winter has a more profound effect on day-to-day life. Our travel trailer was supposed to be a temporary dwelling, just until we built our house. My husband lost his job a week after our little home was delivered, at one of the most inopportune times in our nation’s financial history. There was no job to be found, so there was no house to be built. Our situation shrank both our bank account and our egos. All of the plans and designs we had were quickly shoved aside to reluctantly greet many difficult questions about our life. One of those questions was “What is really important?”

There have been many evolving answers to that one question, but there has been one answer that has stood out from the rest for our family: There is such depth in the simplest things of life. The most ordinary, mundane, uneventful things of life hold the greatest beauty, meaning, and mystery. They hold the lesson that the simplest things of life are not ordinary, mundane, or uneventful at all.

Electricity was our gateway into mindfulness here. For our first 6 weeks here, we charged our travel trailer battery with our vehicle. We found out quickly which features used the most electricity, like the television and the fridge. We didn’t want to have to go out into the cold and hook up the car to the battery, so we began to conserve more than ever. It is funny how when something becomes inconvenient, it is taken a bit more seriously. It was amazing to see the drain in power each time we chose to run water, watch T.V., or leave lights on. There would actually be a surge, where the lights would dim, when we were using a lot of power. It was a great visual lesson about a resource we completely took for granted.

During our first two years here, we did not have our own access to water. We started out by buying a 35 gallon tank on wheels that we brought to the nearest RV Park, that had water access, for 2 dollars. Our family actually has very fond memories of what we called “dump station night”. (This was also a place that one could dump the contents of the “black” tank, which we also utilized). We would fill up while the kids played at the park, bring it home, and fill up the travel trailer tank. That water would last for about 3 days, if we conserved well. (I have recently learned that there will inevitably be a water shortage for all of us in the not so distant future. It does matter how much we use!) We got a membership at our local YMCA and took most of our showers there. (I remember once showing up there so embarrassingly dirty because the kids had been playing on our temporary dirt mountain, from driveway construction. I met a man who worked there that noticed that we really only came for showers and commented that he did the same thing. He had no running water, in his old log home. That connection made me realize that we were not alone.)

Once winter was upon us, we had to change our strategy for water because the RV station closed (We did receive a bulk water permit from the nearest large town, but their water source was shut down shortly there after due to freezing also). Our neighbor, who sold us our land, graciously let us come over and fill up our tank weekly. (That neighborly helped make it possible for us to continue to live this adventure) Usually Chris would drive the quarter of a mile, with our little tractor, over to the neighbors and fill up, even when it was 20 below zero. I have to admit there were days that I cried when I heard the travel trailer pump making its loud grumbling noise that proclaimed “I am almost dry!”

That struggle taught me so much though. All of my family realized that water is not something to be taken for granted and that just because one has unlimited access to something does not mean that it should be wasted.

I listened to a lecture, shortly after we moved here at the Unitarian Church of River Falls WI, about women in regions of Africa that have to walk 5 miles to get about a gallon of water that may or may not be clean. I know I really don’t have any concept of what they have to endure, yet I am grateful that I have begun some mindfulness in that part of my consciousness That is one of those core beliefs that I always wanted to align with my actions in our previous life, with heated, running water that came without any thought. I wanted to take shorter showers, wash dishes with more mindfulness, water the lawn less or not at have grass at all, and plant gardens that were native and hardy that did not depend on anything but mother earth’s rain showers. I wanted to do all of those things but did them with half measures. I was inconsistent and sloppy in my thoughts and actions around conservation of water and other resources.

So, after two years of learning about the importance of clean and accessible water, we put in our 240 feet well. We are now able to connect directly to our water source during the non freezing months, and enjoy water without much worry, but not without thought. During the winter months, we have to disconnect our direct connection, and “fill-up”. Our line freezes if we remain connected, so we have to go back to the familiar noises of a water pump.

My husband built an insulated house for our well. (Can you believe our well got a house before we did?) Usually, all of the well’s pressure systems would be routed indoors, where it is toasty warm, but ours was exposed to all of the elements.

Shortly after our well was completed, we had a water celebration with family and friends… The first time that the hose worked, and water came gushing out, it was truly magical. How could it be that I was so in awe of such a regular thing? It is hard for me to look at a lot of things in the same way that I used to. There seem to be gifts in going without. It shines a new and wonderful light on something that once seemed so ordinary.

I do not advocate for misfortune or disaster, yet I would not change anything about the progression of our journey here on this piece of land. To be able to look deeper into what the self-reliant life is really about, is a gift that I hope to never return. The simplest of actions have become some of my favorite moments here. To slow down enough to see the meaning in watching our chickens roam the forest, collecting, washing, eating or selling eggs, noticing and identifying the changing flowers in the woods, creating a bountiful, organic garden and spending almost all of our leisure time in her graces, digging potatoes with my dad, cooking entire meals with only food we have grown, feeling connected to a community who really care about the health of it‘s people, marveling in my joy as I walk with the goats in the woods, walking down to my neighbor Auntie Joni's little cabin, using the fallen wood in our forest as our main source of heat in the winter, supporting our local grocery co-op through patronage and volunteering, hanging our clothes on the line, feeding the birds, sweeping instead of vacuuming, hand writing a letter instead of using my computer, taking a walk instead of taking a drive, bartering for services so that my family doesn‘t need to make so much money to exist, bringing my own bag to the store, and taking the time to seek out a vocation instead of a career even if the path there is more complicated. The list truly goes on and on …

I need to feel like what I can do, does matter. I can’t afford to buy a Prius, exclusively use solar power, or put up a wind turbine, but I can be mindful. All of these simple actions not only have an effect on our planet, but on me. They are the most grounding things that I have ever had in my life. I truly believe that all of those simple yet meaningful actions have a profound impact on the universe.

I was once asked why we have hung on so hard to living our life here in the woods when our path was so altered from its original plan. I answer by saying there have been many difficult days along our path, yet one thing that has stayed constant. It is our growing love for this piece of land. We can see the importance of conserving her resources, and making her a classroom for ourselves, family and friends. Not having the financial resources we had once become accustom to have created a new awareness of nature’s resources that are so abundant around us.

This is where we continue taking action, and let the resources we do have, mold our new future. We hope that our new future does have the house we once dreamed of, but it will be very different from its original design. We have learned too much to not utilize our new vision and like a dear friend once wrote, “This is when I see the journey is the goal and let the goal find its own way”. The important part is the integrity of the journey. This beautiful, rugged, and untamed piece of earth has permanently changed who we are and how we will forever see the world.

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile
denise!!! God Bless you!!!
thanks so much for sharing this post-and it's your first!!!
many of us had our lives altered in so many unexpected ways at the time you began your "journey"...i commend your family for perserverance!!!

my own wa stouched in many ways that i sometimes try to forget-most of them offered learning experiences and some gave wonderful opportunity, as well!

welcome to "the farm" aka MJF!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  2:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Denise. I so enjoyed reading your post! And I'm glad to welcome you here. Many come here to learn but already you are teaching us. Your awareness of the world has changed so much through this adventure, to more of what all should understand about the finite quality or our world and resources. All children should know more about the real world they live in.
My daughter took some farm fresh eggs to work one day to share and one of her co-workers said, "Ewww, I don't want eggs that came out of a chicken's butt!" Wow, I wonder where she thinks "store-bought" eggs come from?
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  8:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Denise I enjoyed reading your post. Believe it or not I have learned a bit from you just from reading your post. Thanks so much for sharing.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  07:14:33 AM  Show Profile
What an exciting and fulfilling adventure!!! Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy every single step of the way!!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  07:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Denise,
How superbly written. We too had a terrible flood several years back, and life from then on has been hard yet it has taught us a simpler life. I too feel blessed to have had the experience but do not wish the horrific event on anyone. Life teaches us so much along the way, enjoy your journey.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  8:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Denise, thanks for sharing and welcome. Loved reading about your adventure. God Bless
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Denise,
Thank you for sharing. A truly beautiful message. Do you still live there? I see your address is Marengo, IL. I know both areas well.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Loved reading the post and how inspiring. I hope the path you follow will bring you to your home someday. I hope you continue to post and share your life. Thanks so much for taking time to put it all down for us to read.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  7:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Just beautiful Denise! Thank you for painting this honest picture and sharing it with us who may learn from it.

Many Blessings- Alicia
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Changing your Life Forever: The Start of a Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page