FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Have you had the feeling that you needed to make some changes, but weren't quite sure exactly what to do or how to go about it? I've had that feeling for so long, my poor shoulders are hunched from the weight of thinking about it.

We went on a Spring fishing trip that was a little less than fun though we tried to make the best of it. During our time in the cabin, I had some time to think about a few things. One of those things was all of my 'hobbies'. I have far, far too many! While there is nothing wrong with having a few hobbies to release that creative energy, there is something wrong with having a room chock full of craft things and never having enough time to enjoy it. I haven't been in that room to 'create' anything since before Christmas.

On the way home from vacation, I received a phone call that made my mind up for me. Since that phone call, my head and my heart are guiding me toward animal rescue. My DH and I have discussed it at length and have decided without a doubt this is what we are supposed to do. We have filed paperwork to foster animals.

We have adopted 3 of the horses that we rescued. We took our 12 acre field out of the CRP program through the USDA and a friend/neighbor is going to use it to produce hay. We are working on sectioning off portions of the other 6 acres for turn-out pens. We have completed 2 so far. We have also built 2 stalls in our barn from the ground up and we have room for 3 more.

Soooo the craft supplies will be pared down to the minimum. It will be quite a task to decide what the bare minimum will be, so I am going to set up a small section of the 'craft room' and whatever fits neatly in that area, like my sewing machine, can stay. I will keep things that I can use to make cat toys, doggie coats and similar things. The rest is out the door.

It is amazing how one simple phone call can change your life.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Lora,
I do know what you mean. Sometimes I feel so bogged down by all the "projects" that I need to finish. Way to much stuff and I think I can't enjoy myself if I have all of these unfinished things hanging over me. I have two daughters who would be more than happy to have some fabric and things to use for their children. They will probably get things done a lot quicker than I will.
I start out sorting but then when I go into my craft closet I look at the fabric and think "oh I am going to make such and such with this" but I never get it done. I can't tell you the last time I sat at the machine, it has been that long. Probably 2 years ago. It's nice to have things to work on but it is overwhelming when there is so much. I need to make some choices about what to work on and what to let pass. Thanks for posting, it has given me the boost I need to do more purging in this area. Seems the less of these things I have the more free I feel.
Sometimes we need to let go of some things so we are empty enough to be filled with things that really matter to us.
hugs,
Denise

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I am going to start this evening after work since it is too wet to plant and DH already put the horses up due to pending thunderstorms. I am taking a couple of boxes home from work to make sorting easier - Keep, Sell, or Seriously, why did I keep this.

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Lora. I really need to do this and as I have been de cluttering stuff anyway I will have at it again in that closet. I need to get serious.
Btw, I think it is awesome that you are going to be fostering dogs.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  3:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi---
Yes this does happen and when the soul is speaking to you (if you are too busy, it may have to nag for awhile to get your attention)it may seem like a sudden consciousness of an area in life that needs to be changed. Too many crafts..to me that emphasizes that you are a very creative person and have to express that creativity. Most likely you also mastered each craft. I have found as I get older, some of the ways I needed to express that have become outdated (remember the big heavy stuffed cloth photo albums with the lace!) at this point in my life. I used to quilt like crazy living back east where they could be used. Now, here in the desert they have become tablecloths. I did beading and jewelry making for awhile, and the hobbies and interests did change with each decade. I believe as we evolve and are surrounded by changing environments (empty nest) (different climates) (continued education) (personal experiences) (changes in culture and society) (monetary changes) (moving from self-interests to outward interests) suddenly what we saw as enjoyable and a creative outlet no longer serve a purpose. Voila, we are moving on to new and different ways to express who we are or allow us to explore a new journey. Hence, we suddenly may see things as clutter and no longer needed. In these situations I have usually had a garage sale, reorganize my closets, and start pursuing what has me intrigued. So, hooray, you have many talents and are now venturing into something that will also have intrinsic value to you. We are so multi-dimensional in our living now. I believe all our pursuits served a purpose for the time and place, and as we grow so do our interests and activities. Also, there may have been a longing for time to relax from regular activities that were demanding and taking up too much time. We are supposed to have a balance between Regular Daily Activities (our obligations) and Rejuvenating (Relaxing) and Reaching Activities (those that take us to different situations for growth and development. Many people are unbalanced and live frenzied in Regular Daily Activities and become resentful and are in dire need of recharging and becoming joyful. We really were put on earth to enjoy its many gifts and wonders.
Keep a going!
Best to you,
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  08:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Annie, Thank you! That put a lot of what I was feeling into words - I sometimes have trouble with that - lol. I am hoping to have a garage sale in July to unload all the extra - (funny to say that this soon after the house fire in 2011...hmmm) But in that regard, we have attended a lot of auctions trying replace the most important or favored things we lost and thus accumulated a bunch of stuff we have no use for. I hate to throw things out so they have been stored in the barn - taking up valuable space.

I am hoping to use any money we collect to pay for becoming an equine massage therapist. My DH wants me to be a people massage therapist - but I am incredibly shy, but blunt and don't know if I could touch strangers. I am already Reiki Level II certified - hoping to get to Level III this summer. My teacher is awesome and is going to work with me on the fees. I want him to make his money, but he knows our pocket book is dedicated to the animals. He told me he knows the universe understands where we are at in our lives and that his goal is to make sure we can make it all happen. I just love him!
When I first joined MJF, our plan was to have a horse hotel - it didn't happen and I couldn't figure out why. Now I think I know it wasn't what we were supposed to do.

Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Making changes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page