queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  06:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Here in Maine in a town called glenburn, a 15 yo girl was kidnapped and brutally murdered by a person she knew on Facebook. She went out by herself to meet him. He turned himself in yesterday and there was evidence that he was the one who did it. This "man " was 25. Please, I beg you parents who allow your children on social media sites to heavily monitor what your kids are doing and who they are "friending " and don't ever allow them to meet a new "friend "by themselves. If they want to meet them get a phone number and talk with the other "parent " first. Don't. Let them know you're coming with your child and don't give them a vehicle descriptionof what you are.driving. keep your doors locked so this person can't hijack the car. If the "child "that you are supposed to meet isn't there get physical descriptions of suspicious looking people so if there is a kidnapping you can aid iinvestigators. Please take this seriously. Make a rule that you and your husband or other family member can approve friends and not your child . Please don't become a victim. Be proactive in your children's lives. For the teenager who throws the trust word around like a beach ball, it's not a matter of not trusting your child it's. A matter of protecting them from predictors.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

Edited by - queenmushroom on May 30 2013 08:39:03 AM

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  06:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Preditors.

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  07:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Lorena that is so horrible. You are right on the advice. It does not matter where you live. This happen way to often. Predators troll the
internet social sites all the time, looking for young kids. It doesn't just happen to girls, boys also. It is just so scary.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile
We have pulled Facebook and social media from our home. Because we just had a situation with a sexual predator and our 14 year old daughter. She did not believe she was in any danger. It has been very scary around our home.

And I was monitoring everything the kids were doing online. But they get very sneaky........... So it has all ended around our house. No cell phones or internet. Except for school work. They can talk on the landline if they want to chat with friends. And we allow them to hang out with friends as long as we know who, what, where and what time.

You cannot be too safe in this day and age. And since we have more control over the situations, we seem to have much better behaved children.

Hubby and I have also made a huge effort to spend more time doing things offline with them. Lots of games, walks and family fun. Which is hard to get the teens to do...... But we are making strides.

And yes this can happen even in small towns. we are a small community, and this predator was in the same school with our daughter!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile
The person that did this was indited yesterday. He made fox national news. He wanted to be "a hero " for finding her and kill her afterwards. He pirated someone else's Fb page that the girl knew for a long time and succeeded in luring her out to buy pot.. please demand all passwords to all websites that your child has. If they don't comply then no internet. This was suggested by Sgt. Paul Edwards from the Bangor police department.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic please read! updated Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page