Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's Happening In Your Kitchen Today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Happening In Your Kitchen Today? Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile

Just wondering what everyone is doing in the kitchen today...

I am preparing "Poke Sallet"(greens)to go in the freezer. They grow in the Spring here in Kentucky and they are delicious. The stalks are yummy delicious also.

Tonight for dinner I am making oven fried chicken...shuck beans...corn from the freezer(put away late last summer)also...sliced tomatoes and cornbread. My oven fried chicken uses much less oil than that which is fried in a skillet on top of the stove.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  05:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Worked in the yard all day so progies and steamed broccoli is what's for dinner. Forgot the ice tea.

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I think I will go to your house! It was just soup from leftovers here...:-)

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  06:26:07 AM  Show Profile

Ruthie,

I never heard of progies! I looked online for them. They look delicious.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile

Judy,

I love homemade soup. Especially vegetable beef. I remember when I was a youngster in elementary school...the cooks would keep leftover vegatables and meats which they had prepared too much of that week in the lunchroom. On Friday...they would put all this together and it would make the most delicious soup. You could smell it all through the school. Served it with grilled cheese! Yum Yum!!! What great memories!!!

I have a cousin named Judy who lives in Michigan also!

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  08:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I have some strawberries that need to be used. I can't decide whether to slice n freeze for later or make something. I dunno...

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  11:06:47 AM  Show Profile
We are having a family get-together. The women are sharing the cooking. My job, the brownies. The receipt is from Pioneer Woman's 2nd cookbook. They are called "knock-me-naked brownies"

I love family get togethers!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely nothing is happening in our kitchen today. Hubby took us out for lunch, so it will be salads for dinner, which are already made. We have been working around the house, and have softball practice at 5:30. Easy Sunday for me.............

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile
Our lunch was beef ribs on the grill with barbecue sauce and fresh asparagus. Also strawberry short cake.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  05:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Judy, piergoies are a Polish staple. My great-grandmother, Kunagunda Bialon, made the most delicious ones when I was a small child. She died in 1971, but I can still remember how delicious they were!

I'm baking scones today for my gardening group at the arboretum. I hope everyone has a great kitchen day!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,

My sister and I still cook much the same way our motber and grandmother cooked. It was simple and country. I can still smell the aroma of a molasses stack cake and chicken and dumplings that they used to make. Also, all the delicious things they would make for special occasions such as birthdays and holidays! How I love remembering the good ole days!

Hugs!

Judy

Edited by - wildflower17 on May 21 2013 12:59:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  8:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I made a small batch of strawberry freezer jam, started fermenting a jar of pickles, made some bread, and spaghetti sauce!

Many Blessings- Alicia
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  9:19:05 PM  Show Profile
I just treated myself to a cocoa using ground roasted cacoa nibs in my french press. So good!

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  03:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Porketta in the crock pot with a nice salad for dinner tonight. LOOOOOOOVEEEE Summer!

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile
What is Porketta ? My husband guessed Pork spaghetti ?

I fired the brick oven today because we had an unusual rain day for a Calif. summer. I love roasting in it while it's firing. I harvested onions yesterday night by the light of the huge full moon-love summer gardening. So I roasted the bolting ones that don't keep. Then my husband brought home the bacon... really, natural organic bacon. Added that to the onions. Roasted some of the potatoes that were growing randomly in one of the beds, roasted in bacon grease in the really hot oven-800 approx. added fresh harvested garlic cloves, peeled.
Then after reading about pierogis here, I made pot stickers using, cabbage, onions and bacon, left over pork roast cut really fine, wild boletus mushrooms and more garlic, hot chile-sesame oil . Then roasted them in more oil in the oven. It was fry day !!!
Now tomorrow sourdough bread !
Better start exercising now.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to Katie's !
YUM!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Judy, you've inspired me! I'm going out to pick some poke and deal with it. Got a lot in the back. It's just coming up so it'll be perfect. Thanks for reminding me. I just finished a batch of strawberry jam and have Vidalia onions in the dehydrator. I'm getting ready to wax some cheese that I got on sale 8 oz for $1 each!! I bought a ton so will have to wax it to preserve it. Kinda hot for that but oh well. Gotta get it while the gettin' is good. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  7:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Come along ! We've got camping and visiting spots, plus a vacation rental-listed right now on Off Grid.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

Scruboak
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Suzan
Wetmore Colorado
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  11:55:40 AM  Show Profile
I made a Bake Over for the first time! Left over steak, mozzarella cheese, peppers, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil. Not bad. Not bad.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." -- Rumi

Edited by - Scruboak on Jun 25 2013 5:35:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  04:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Strawberry jam for the third day in a row (picked yesterday and the day before too). They are FINALLY ripe by us - and worth the wait this year!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Happening In Your Kitchen Today? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page