julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I grew the most gorgeous broom corn this year and have harvested most of it..now drying in the barn.. I think it is fast approaching time to strip it of all the seeds and start making the brooms.. Does anyone have any references of how to do this? Any book suggestions? I want to something really simple and give as gifts..
thanks so much!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  07:01:46 AM  Show Profile
http://www.friendswoodbrooms.com/cobweb.htm

This iste has some awesome brooms too...we are planting broom corn next Spring.I am so excited!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  07:35:19 AM  Show Profile
love that tying wheel .. did any of you see where to buy one of those?

thanks for the site miz tasha!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  07:52:16 AM  Show Profile
I bet you could easily make do one....some 1" dowels and small wood pieces....a few finishing nails, voila! broom tying wheel!

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  08:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful idea and great site. I agree that a tying wheel looks pretty easy to make, but bet also if you have Amish nearby they probably make them and you could buy one from them.

Is there any special kind of broom corn or is that just what I look for. Can you tell I am not a farmer,lol

Thank You once again for all the great things I find in these pages.
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Tooooo cool!! Tasha, I knew you'd be just the Goddess to hook me up. I'm making little brooms for 3 of my goddess friends who are joining us for Thanksgiving this year..We are having a traditional holiday celebration plus a Goddess-Fest and belly casting party.. They have helped me make belly casts for my other 2 children so this one, being our last, is especially fabulous! I thought handmade brooms would be so perfect! Thank you...
blessings,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  11:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Julia, what a perfect gift, handmade brooms!! That sounds like such a great time...good luck!
I saw a belly cast of a friend, who added in her children's hands, holding her tummy..it was so precious. It was almost as if her 3 children were holding hands. I am not doing it justice in my explaination...REALLY, it was so beautiful.

I would love to make my own broom, and one for each of my girls, they are forever swiping mine! Chloe's broom is sometimes a magick broom for flying, sometimes a horse, sometimes a tool, really, what a great idea to make brooms for Solstice/Christmas for my kids!!!

Thanks for the great idea, Goddess Julia!!
Love and light to you, Friend!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  12:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace has a flying spell taht she is constantly trying to get to work and it is just too cute. She sits on her broom and jumps into the air trying to fly. I love it! I told her she ahs to practice inside only beacue if she gets up into the air outside, she might not know how to get down and that could be scary :)

We both have brroms that we made using field grass. They turned out pretty great, but we are definately growing broom corn next season. My father makes staffs, and he also finds smaller wands size sticks and shines them up nice, I am positive I can get him to find me some handles so that I can make and sell a few of them from time to time...
Rob told me, 'who can you trust to buy a broom from if you can't trust a Witch?'

I love them. That site is awesome!!

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  9:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Could you tell me where you got the seed to plant for the broom corn.?
I used to swap handmade baskets with a group and a gal from ca sent me some, but I havent seen it around here at the garden stores in the spring.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  10:00:24 PM  Show Profile
That is something I would love to plant too, Shirley..I hope someone has a source for the seed! I havn't seen it here in Utah either.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile
We have Amish people in this area, I always go at least once in the summer and buy a few things from them. My son in law has a hunting cabin out there way and brings me the best cheese from them. Anyway, maybe I will see if he can find me a broom out there, I would like to have one, of course not sure where I will go with it, probably just around the house.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for sharing this site, i love the sites that i get from the farmgirls and love to "favorite"them.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:32:36 AM  Show Profile
I have bought the seed from Stokes Seeds and they have both a US and Canada outlet. The kind I grew came in some really neat colors too.
Di
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic how to make a simple broom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page