ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  3:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
I was approached by the recreation director of our local MRDD where my sister receives services. She wants to incorporate crafting into some of the clients day so that they can attend local craft fairs to sell their wares and make some extra money for themselves. I was wondering if any of you guys made easy Christmas ornaments and or crafts that would be fairly easy for developmentally delayed adults could make. She has had interest given from a couple of the ladies that they would like to learn to use a sewing machine for easy quilting and maybe knitting and crocheting as well. I am really excited about this! We will probably meet once a week to start and make some crafts!! Fun Fun!! Any ideas?

Thanks
Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  4:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Check out www.familyfun.com They have lots of crafts that are easy to make- maybe you van find something there.

Good luck!
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kim I will check it out! Does anyone make a "special" ornament with their children each year? It would be kind of cool to have these clients have sort of a "signature" ornament! Thank you!

Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile
I lived in an area where there were no art classes available in the school. I was horrified and shocked, I went in and taught art once a week. I donated my time and had a very small budget for materials.
One of the all time favorite was an ornament we decorated. I bought clear christmas balls. They are the ones that have been around forever and come in every color. You removed the hanger carefully, then you take paint (same craft paint you would use for tole painting) you dripple just a few drops of any color and then a few drops of white. You then cover your thumb over the area were the hanger was and shake. It come out with a beautful marblized look. You then put the ornament upside down in an egg carton to dry. The trick is to not use too much paint as it takes longer to dry. Depending on the temperature the ornament is usually dry in a day or two. You then carefully put the hanger back in. The ornament can then be personalized with a sharpie to include the year and a special name or such.

Good luck,

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  03:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Hi Laura, I have made them before with my kids....I'm wondering if they make clear plastic balls. I am thinking that glass balls may be dangerous to the clients...not sure though! thank ou for bringing back a great memory!

have a great day!
Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  10:40:24 AM  Show Profile
ida - here's a link to a recent thread about cinnamon dough decorations/ornaments. It just might work for you: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2512]!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  12:10:37 AM  Show Profile
I have made shabby chic ornaments by getting the foam balls, and cutting strips that vary in width but have to be the length to make it around the ball once and pinning the strips at the beginning and end. I could send you pics if you like. they you can pin a cute piece of potpourri or a little dried flower or something to the top, and also use a pin to make the loop for them to hang on. Some fabric,
if it frays easy should be doubled over about 1/2 inch at the ends so the needles wont pull through. They could make coordinating sets that match or whatever. I also have something I just cut out of Family Circle. Send me your email and I can scan and send it it you, and let me know if you want pics of the balls! They are super cute and super country!
XOXO
Cristine

Edited by - MsCwick on Oct 28 2006 12:13:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  06:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
sent you an email chrisine....thank you for your ideas and offering your pics!!

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile
What about little foam ball snowmen? All you need is a small foam ball for the base, and a smaller one for the head, glue them together (you can poke a toothpick into them to strengthen the join) and then add a felt scarf, button or bead eyes, a little black felt hat ( a circle for the brim and a little strip rolled up tight for the crown. Roll the hanging string up inside it as you go.) You can also poke small sticks into the sides to make arms and add felt "mittens" to the ends. We made these one year for our Thanksgiving Day craft, and we all had so much fun!! Sooooocute and so easy!! Good luck!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  08:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
you guys are great!! thank you for the great ideas!

happy weekend!
Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  10:44:35 AM  Show Profile
I sent you pics, ida. Hope you like 'em!!!
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  6:54:03 PM  Show Profile
I used to teach nursery school to 3 & 4 yr. olds. For christmas presents one year to give to mom & dad I purchased clear glass round ornaments, took the metal top off, had the kids choose 3 or 4 colors of paint to squirt a few drops of each in the hole,put the metal top back on and swirled and rolled the ornament around. It sort of marbled and looked very nice ( & was easy!)
LauraH
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  08:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Nice ideas...always looking for things to make:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  3:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Ida,

We make glitter christmas balls by recycling old ones that are faded and peeling. All you do is thin out some craft glue with water, paint it on the globe and then sprinkle with glitter and hang to dry . My kids love doing this. have great Christmas.

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
great ideas guys! thank you!

Mom's Makin' Scents