Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Total Hip Replacement for DH tomorrow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Total Hip Replacement for DH tomorrow Next Topic  

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile
He's 49. As a young teen he had Legg Calve' Perthes disease. He's been long over due for a THR and has been in a lot of pain. We know, in the end, this surgery will be good for him.

But girls, I'm gonna tell you... I'm a little scared.

He has Type 2 Diabetes too, and he doesn't heal well. Fortunately, he's now testing his numbers again, and medication is bringing them down. I'm hoping they are low enough for them to go through surgery tomorrow. Last time, they canceled at the last minute because of his initial Diabetes diagnosis. That was about 8 years ago.

I don't have any family near by. My 23 year old step-son was supposed to come from PA to help, but he blew up his car engine (he'd modified it, so it wasn't a surprise, but the timing was terrible!). So he's not coming. We do have some nice friends who have agreed to take our boys (ages 6 & 9) for tomorrow night.

We've had a string of bad luck with home repairs lately, but fortunately that's hit a reasonable point. Plumbing problem has been fixed, as has the roof, the trees, and the A/C.

The road ahead will be tough. My DH has a lot of self-doubt, and he's not real great at doing exercises, which I understand are so important to a successful recovery. We've rearranged the house, and have a twin bed for him to use for a while, so he doesn't have to use the stairs (we have a split level).

I'll be pretty much living as a single mom for a while too. I mean, I'll be honest, DH isn't the best helper around the house anyway, but he DOES help with the boys. It will just be up to me to get them to daycare, from daycare, to ball games, do homework, and all that "good" parental stuff. I am going to have to keep things clean at home too, because I don't want DH to get some sort of infection. We have our share of animals, and - well - we all know how tidy young boys are.

So, I'll welcome your words of wisdom. I know DH isn't the first person to get a THR, but it's still going to be pretty tough.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  11:59:37 AM  Show Profile
I had both my hips replaced, plus my right should, all within 16 months. It was rough, but the hips were a faster recovery than the shoulder, also less painful. With determination, he will be on the road to recovery in no time. The range of motion exercises are very helpful, so make sure he does them, they are not hard or time consuming. Good luck to you and hubby.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

(hugs) to you,

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile
A friend had both hips replaced within 24 months - a discussion that came up when I shared with her I was told at 48 that I needed a hip replacement. I was seeking her advice for success, because her surgeries were fabulously successful. She said the exercises were key to long-term success, but her advice for comfort immediately was to be sure to get to toilet "booster seat"! She did not get it immediately for the first surgery and quickly saw the error of her ways. So much is difficult during the first uncomfortable few days...a simple thing like going to the bathroom should not be one of them.

So if you haven't done it, get the booster seat :)
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  6:13:48 PM  Show Profile
You, your hubby, the surgeon and all those to whom your husband will be entrusted for care are in my prayers, Erin! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  6:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Erin, you and your family are in my prayers.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  08:03:48 AM  Show Profile
DH's surgery went well. The doctor was amazed at how much arthritis was in there, and the top of the hip ball was really flat (which was caused by his Legg Calve' Perthes Disease). Plus, the whole socket was half misaligned. So, he said "it'll be a difference of night and day" for DH. He's still in the hospital, and still pretty groggy this morning. The guy in the bed next to him talked in his sleep ALL night, so that was rough. He was doing it when I was there last night... calling for his dog and "Edna." It was funny, but I'm sure lost its humor around 3:00 am. I think they are going to move the guy today, so that would be really good for DH. He's got more pain today, but has one of those pumps, and isn't afraid to use it.

I called him at 10:00 and they'd already had him up and he walked 5 steps with the walker. Catheter is out too, and that was probably the single biggest fear he had. He's eaten some Jello too, the first "food" he's had in 38 hours. He's had to have some insulin because of his diabetes and not eating, so that a first, but not unexpected. He usually just takes his pills. He's also still pretty groggy, but seems a little more alert each time we talk.

I'm taking off early from work today, and will grab the boys and go up to see him tonight. We expect he'll come home on Friday if all goes well with PT. Fingers crossed.

And yes, they've already given him some exercises to do, and he's doing them religiously.

Thank you all for your prayers. We are humbled but all that we've heard about over the past few days. I just ask for strength, because some times I feel so beaten down, it takes a lot to just put a smile on and take the steps out the door. God knows, and God helps.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Erin, I just read about your DH's surgery. Sounds like it went well! Yes, those exercises are most important! I'll say a prayer he heals quickly.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Prayers to your Hubby!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for your hubby.

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  04:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Erin, I am so glad all went well. I am hoping for a quick recovery. Sounds like he will be feeling so much better real soon.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I recently had total hip replacement in right hip due to bone spurs - I am now able to tie my tennis shoes which I was not able to do for last 3 years. Praying for your loved one's recovery

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Sending healing thoughts your way!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile
So glad the surgery went well and he's up already! Praying for healing and easy recovery.

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Total Hip Replacement for DH tomorrow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page